Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:49 AM

130 posts, read 297,580 times

Advertisements

I started my new job with Cook County (Chicago area) this week. I moved here from Texas. During orientation, the HR lady mentioned 10% of my salary goes to pension! I feel misled because in the on boarding documents, there was not a single mention of this pension deduction. I read through the HR manual provided during orientation and there is no mention either. Another new hire who was at the orientation with me was also surprised. Though they take the 10% for pension, they don't take anything for social security (FICA exempt). The retirement benefit (403b) is also terrible because the county does not contribute or match anything. The state/local govts I worked for in Texas weren't even this bad with their retirement packages.

I am in the running for a job in Texas, that has no such pension deduction, and plus there is no income tax in TX like there is in Illinois. If I get that job I'm going to quit the Chicago one. Like I said, there was no mention of this 10% deduction anywhere - the HR lady casually bought it up during orientation ("oh by the way, 10% goes to pension"). My question - are these pension deductions common in other states? No such thing in TX.

I had considered all expenses (income tax, higher cost of living, moving costs) before taking this job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Yes. State employees at least here in MA, and every other state I lived, deduct a percentage for the pension. That is how it is paid for.

Did you expect the pension just to be a unpaid for benefit?

Even with these fundings, because the benefits are fixed, if the market returns aren't adequate the taxpayer has to cover some... that's enough to me. Not having to pay anything for your pension is rather rare in this day and age and those systems will need to be changed.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:11 AM

130 posts, read 297,580 times
NO..I didn't expect it to be an unpaid benefit...way to stretch my concern, Lol. My concern was the 10%, PLUS the zero matching/contribution. At my previous job the govt deducted 6% and matched it.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx09 View Post
I started my new job with Cook County (Chicago area) this week. I moved here from Texas. During orientation, the HR lady mentioned 10% of my salary goes to pension! I feel misled because in the on boarding documents, there was not a single mention of this pension deduction. I read through the HR manual provided during orientation and there is no mention either. Another new hire who was at the orientation with me was also surprised. Though they take the 10% for pension, they don't take anything for social security (FICA exempt). The retirement benefit (403b) is also terrible because the county does not contribute or match anything. The state/local govts I worked for in Texas weren't even this bad with their retirement packages.

I am in the running for a job in Texas, that has no such pension deduction, and plus there is no income tax in TX like there is in Illinois. If I get that job I'm going to quit the Chicago one. Like I said, there was no mention of this 10% deduction anywhere - the HR lady casually bought it up during orientation ("oh by the way, 10% goes to pension"). My question - are these pension deductions common in other states? No such thing in TX.

I had considered all expenses (income tax, higher cost of living, moving costs) before taking this job!
You lose 7.65% for social security and medicare, so you aren't talking about a huge difference if you aren't paying those expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx09 View Post
NO..I didn't expect it to be an unpaid benefit...way to stretch my concern, Lol. My concern was the 10%, PLUS the zero matching/contribution. At my previous job the govt deducted 6% and matched it.
The IL pension system is a mess, they likely are matching, but still need more.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes. State employees at least here in MA, and every other state I lived, deduct a percentage for the pension. That is how it is paid for.

Did you expect the pension just to be a unpaid for benefit?

Even with these fundings, because the benefits are fixed, if the market returns aren't adequate the taxpayer has to cover some... that's enough to me. Not having to pay anything for your pension is rather rare in this day and age and those systems will need to be changed.
It is still at some companies, mine included.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
It is still at some companies, mine included.

We're not talking about private sector. Different animal.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I wouldn't count on an Illinois pension.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I have never heard of an employer that provides a pension without some percentage contribution by the employee. Just as they will withhold for part of other benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term care insurance, 401k, credit union savings, and others that are either mandatory or optional. We have enough optional benefits that a person could easily end up with a $5,000 paycheck being zero net take home.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I wouldn't count on an Illinois pension.
Pensions are contracts. They will get paid.

I wouldn't personally count on just a pension.. but it can only help the total retirement portfolio.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never heard of an employer that provides a pension without some percentage contribution by the employee. Just as they will withhold for part of other benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long-term care insurance, 401k, credit union savings, and others that are either mandatory or optional. We have enough optional benefits that a person could easily end up with a $5,000 paycheck being zero net take home.
Illionis and the city of Chicago are in a world of hurt with pensions. They are the most underfunded state pensions in the country. Chicago is one step away from going bankrupt. It's going to be a sticker shock when you see how expensive it is to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment