Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Hearing "tan suit" immediately made me think of Boogie Nights.

A professional business suit would be dark in color, such as navy or black.

I have a tan suit, but it isn't something I'd wear to an interview. They have a few places/times, but an interview? Nope, not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,038,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So you're using extreme examples to prove a point?
Yep, that's the best way. then even the slow people can understand and follow along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I was over 30 minutes late for an interview once (due to a previous interview running over!). I did call and let the hiring mgr know I was running late. It worked out really well actually, I spun it into a positive and the hiring mgr felt bad that I felt bad so that helped to forge a human connection before the interview even started. Guess who got the offer...yup, this guy.
I had never been late to an interview in my life until my current job. I didnt know they had moved and went to the old location. I called and explained the situation. Ended up getting the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
But it's not usually the applicant with the problem if they did everything they're supposed to do to get a job.
well there are usually several who did everything right. That's why its easier to weed out the loosers.

I did a hone interview yesterday and the guy just kept yawning. I finally asked if i was keeping him up. he responded with something like no, I've just been up too late lately. needless to say he didn't get an interview and on paper he was my #1 prospect. I wish I could call him back and explain why so that he knew. That feedback would be so fun, and useful.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:43 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,310,028 times
I remember just over a year ago we were hiring a new admin for another department. I spearheaded the introductions of the candidates to the interviewers. We had an internal candidate come in to interview. When she was done, she left to go back to her desk elsewhere in the facility. Twenty minutes later she was back with thank you notes in hand. She even scribbled one person's name on the envelope just before handing them to me because she couldn't remember the person's name and had to ask me.

Little did she know that I was actually partly involved with the hiring decision for this position - and while I was impressed with the quick turnaround, I was not impressed that she couldn't remember the names of the people she met with.

She did not get the job (but not because of the thank you notes - it was because her computer skills were non-existent).

Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,817,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
Several posts, including the OP have remarked on appearance and attire. In May, I was invited to interview with a company in Phoenix. I am currently living on the east coast. I paid my own travel expenses and wore a tan suit complete with jacket to the interview. I was told by the interviewer that I was underdressed. Can someone please explain this to me. In a city where people go to work in shorts after their morning golf game, how was I underdressed in a suit?
Get a navy or charcoal suit. Beyond the color, there are several other aspects of the attire that could have reduced the formality of the suit.

What type of collar did your dress shirt have? What tie know did you use? Did you have barrel cuffs or cufflinks? How many buttons did your suit have? What type of lapels did the suit have? How much shirt cuff extended beyond the suit sleeve? How much pant break? What type of shoes? What fabric was the suit made from? What color was the shirt? Did the color of the ensemble match with the color wheel and your complexion?

I could go on for a more thorough diagnosis, but the answers to those questions would satisfy the average suit aficionado.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,042,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yep, that's the best way. then even the slow people can understand and follow along.

I had never been late to an interview in my life until my current job. I didnt know they had moved and went to the old location. I called and explained the situation. Ended up getting the job.

well there are usually several who did everything right. That's why its easier to weed out the loosers.

I did a hone interview yesterday and the guy just kept yawning. I finally asked if i was keeping him up. he responded with something like no, I've just been up too late lately. needless to say he didn't get an interview and on paper he was my #1 prospect. I wish I could call him back and explain why so that he knew. That feedback would be so fun, and useful.
Interviews predict almost nothing about job performance. But of course, that won't stop you from embarking on your smug power trip. Carry on.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,219,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Interviews predict almost nothing about job performance. But of course, that won't stop you from embarking on your smug power trip. Carry on.
I love lazy posts like this. The entire point of the Work and Employment forum is to, you know, discuss work and employment issues.

So when those of us who actually interview candidates for jobs remark on woefully-prepared people who are missing opportunities, we're suddenly on a power trip. Nice. Maybe if you actually paid attention to the people who are allegedly on a power trip, maybe you'd have the job you wanted.

And interviews actually predict a great number of things: Grace under pressure, people skills, and the ability to articulate answers to difficult questions. These things are highly important in any job beyond working on an assembly line.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 PM

23,603 posts, read 24,139,882 times
It is definitely "how" you present yourself, once you get the in-person interview.

I once had a job where I managed a department of technical engineers. We had two openings, and started to recruit engineers. We started with a phone screen and we brought in the candidates that passed the phone screen.

One day, I had an interview scheduled with a candidate. When he arrived, the other manager and I shook his hands and we sat down in a conference room to start the interview. I noticed that he had a strange smell (as if he was wearing unwashed clothes or hadn't taken a shower for a few days.) Being professional, I didn't say anything at the moment.

When I asked this candidate why he left his last position, he remarked to me: "my manager mentioned that I always smell funny."

Yes, it's how you present yourself. And no, we did not extend him an offer.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:38 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,042,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I love lazy posts like this. The entire point of the Work and Employment forum is to, you know, discuss work and employment issues.

So when those of us who actually interview candidates for jobs remark on woefully-prepared people who are missing opportunities, we're suddenly on a power trip. Nice. Maybe if you actually paid attention to the people who are allegedly on a power trip, maybe you'd have the job you wanted.

And interviews actually predict a great number of things: Grace under pressure, people skills, and the ability to articulate answers to difficult questions. These things are highly important in any job beyond working on an assembly line.
They are only "highly important" because they are ascribed high importance. And why are they ascribed high importance? Because the comparative advantage of those in management positions lays in running their mouths, rather than in ability or intellect. Thus they judge the merit of others by the standard that legitimizes their own ill-deserved position.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Had an incident Monday when I was interviewing a graphic designer for a slot. The portfolio he sent was pretty good. Not brilliant, but good. Mind you, I'm pretty open minded in a lot of ways. But let me describe the guy:

- Jeans with holes in them
- Unwashed hair
- Old flannel shirt
- Discussed how fickle his ex-employers were
- Had no résumé
- Arrived five minutes late
- It's Friday and still no acknowledgement of the interview. No thank-you note. Not even an e-mail.

Mind you, this was an extreme case, but it illustrates something that I've noticed a good deal: The people in life who I've heard complain the most about their lack of upward mobility in the professional world also tend to be the same people who don't take care of the little things in how they present themselves.

Let's not kid ourselves. You might be good at your job. But so is the next person in line to be interviewed. And the person after that. And the person after that. And an employer isn't just looking for someone who can knock out the work, but can be taken to a meeting and can be trusted to talk to a client and has some basic people skills.

If you can't be bothered to look sharp for a job interview, then when will you? If you can't exercise basic courtesies towards a person who could potentially give you a good salary and a fulfilling work environment, when's that going to happen?

Hey, I'm not talking three piece suits here. I'm not talking about some arcane code of conduct. I'm just talking about the fundamentals.

I won't be hiring this guy, despite the fact that his portfolio wasn't bad. This guy showed me that he could do the work, but didn't show me that he could function in either an office or in the presence of the client. And when I don't hire him, he'll wonder why he didn't get the job.
I agree that all of these are pretty ridiculous except the last part. What difference does it make what day of week the interview was? I've also never sent nor really heard of people sending thank-you notes for interviews.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
They are only "highly important" because they are ascribed high importance. And why are they ascribed high importance? Because the comparative advantage of those in management positions lays in running their mouths, rather than in ability or intellect. Thus they judge the merit of others by the standard that legitimizes their own ill-deserved position.

To quote you, "Do you ever post anything useful, insightful, or reasonable, whatsoever?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment