Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 7,136 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Over the past couple years I've had quite a few friends lose their jobs (like many on this forum) for a variety of reasons. Since I'm over 50 years-old myself, most of my friends losing jobs have been men over 40. I have seen in their eyes and heard in their voices the sense of panic and uncertainty about their futures.

There's also the frustration/feeling that they need to start over by "proving" themselves again if they find a job and/or the possibility of losing vacation weeks or benefits and of course a loss in salary. Some of them unfortunately didn't stay current with with business tools or software which will make it very difficult to find new employment.

Stay with me I'm almost to the advice part...

I've been very fortunate as an Internet marketer and software developer to be either employed, consulting or creating online businesses. I'd like to develop some type of training program or class for men over 40 (my age group) where I could share what I've done as a consultant to businesses or by selling products/services online.

However, I'm not sure where to begin when approaching a 40+ man on the subject. I feel that since I've been doing this for so long, I'll make assumptions about what people know about the Internet and online business and I'll talk right past them.

So here's the advice I'm seeking: If you're a man over 40 and if you were interested in learning about Internet consulting or marketing or building an online store, what are the questions you'd like to get answered?

I realize that sometimes you don't know what you don't know, making it hard to know what questions to ask. But any question you have will be a good question.

I'd really like to help guys in this situation. I'm sure it's no fun for them worrying about retirement income, paying for weddings or college for the kids.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I'm not sure I see where what you have done will transfer over to anyone else. I feel you have good intensions, but you would be pulling people into your world, which doesn't always work.

Or am I missing something?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
IMO, the key to attracting the target demographic is not to let it know you're targeting it. Build your campaign around words that will appeal to men in that situation, and let the age group think it found you all by itself.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I'm not a man, but I'm 55.

If I were doing something like that, I would start with a web page that has all of the correct buzz words and construction that would make it #1 in the common search engines.

I would also generate some excitement on Twitter, getting as many "big names" in that field to follow me as I could. Get on Internet radio and on popular forums. Hawk your Webinars in your sig line if allowed.

Then I would produce 3 - 5 really great Webinars. The first one would be free and then people would have to pay to attend the others.

In it, you would focus on simple but effective teaching. Break down the who, what, why, when, where, and how into 5 or 6 concepts with bullet points. See what's his face who does all the Rich Dad/Poor Dad books for an example of a break down that works fairly well. (can't google his name right now)

After seeing your Webinars, they should be able to go out and do what you are teaching. (well, that is the intent . . .)

I would also write a short book with the basic Webinar content and when attendance at the Webinar was just beginning to fall off (if it did), publish the book on Smash Words (or other e format - research which pays the best with the least amount of work to get it published).

In general, stuff like this has about an 18-month shelf life, although really good programs, like Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University (I'm just using that as an example!) can take off and generate some real income for the producers.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Sorry, you sound like a scammer who's looking to gain form the misfortune of others.

Feel free to prove me wrong.

Help out the 40 year old friends who need jobs and then you'll have a much better idea about how to structure your seminars let alone how to approach 40 somethings.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Have you even put together an outline of your "program?"

Get the project going and put it to work on a limited basis for free because it hasn't proven to be of any use.

Try it out, revise it and try it out some more. Only after it has shown it can be successful should you attempt to market it.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 AM

308 posts, read 398,384 times
Quote:
So here's the advice I'm seeking: If you're a man over 40 and if you were interested in learning about Internet consulting or marketing or building an online store, what are the questions you'd like to get answered?
First question would probably be "what exactly am I selling in my online store, and how can I compete with Amazon or DX.com?"

Honestly I don't think there's a great need to tailor such a program to "over-40s professionals recently out of a job" as this age group must be expected to be pretty internet-savvy. It would probably be more relevant for them to learn how to apply for positions that match their skill sets, not try to start a private business in an industry they know next to nothing about.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Problem I see with people over 40 is not anything to do with their age but just their mindset has not kept up with current things.

For example I have a conversation with a 54 yr old and he has never heard of most of the things I mentioned in the industry or interested. If he were to lose his job, he won't be able to find one again because he's no longer relevant in the industry.

Most people get too complacent with their job, as they get older their attention span is shorter and they're less caught up with the times.

I'm over 40 and frequently have conversations with people in their 20s about the trends. When I go into interviews the key thing I feel employers are looking for is relevancy.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Why is it only for men?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
Since I'm over 50 years-old myself, most of my friends losing jobs have been men over 40.
??
What does that even mean?

Since you have friends in that situation, ASK THEM!
Help them.

Then you will know what will and will not work.
And if you cannot/ do not help them, you know that you are going about it all wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment