Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times

Advertisements

Ever look at the Robert Half Technology Salary Guide? SharePoint, Virtualization, and SQL Server are the highest paying skills, even above Java, PHP, .NET, etc.

I have advanced skills and/or certifications in:

SharePoint 2007-2013/online administration, implementations, upgrades, migrations, Designer/InfoPath, etc.

Windows Server 2003-2012, including IIS, etc.

Hyper-V and VMware.

SQL Server implementation, upgrades, migrations, T-SQL, SSRS Development and SharePoint integrated reporting services.

Visual Studio (less than the others, as I have not touched it full time for a few years but am thinking of getting back into it).

Virtualization, SQL Server, SharePoint and SSRS seem to be very hot right now.

I see A LOT of jobs that want someone who has experience with IIS, Windows Server, Virtualization, SSRS, SharePoint. And these aren't even system administrator positions, they are DBA's, Architects, etc.

Texas salaries seem to be paying 100K+ just for SSRS. Those exist here too, but usually require more than just SSRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Texas salaries seem to be paying 100K+ just for SSRS. Those exist here too, but usually require more than just SSRS.
Where in Texas is that, because it sure isn't like that around here. If you want to break $100k in SQL Server here, you have to be much more than an SSRS monkey to do it.

The jobs I've seen paying over $100k involve one or more of the following:
  1. Extensive DBA experience
  2. Extensive data warehouse/ETL experience using SSIS/C# and know OLTP like the back of your hand
  3. Be able to explain the difference between Kimball and Inmon, all the different types of data normalization, and MOLAP/ROLAP/HOLAP
  4. Actually know how to use windowing functions in T-SQL in addition to being an actual T-SQL ninja
  5. XQuery, anyone?
  6. Cubes/OLAP/MDX/SSAS
  7. Expert skills with entire BI stack plus .NET

The last job I was contacted for that had a heavy SSRS emphasis (and expected expertise in T-SQL and SSIS as well) paid $70-$85k per year. That's low even for this area, but average is still not $100k.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
...I just turned down an offer for $95k (over $100k with bonus).
Was the $100k+ job asking for more than just SSRS?

Hit up some of the 10-20 largest employers in Dallas. I had a crap offer from Fortune 20 employer that wanted 2 years of SQL exp for $75k/yr and $10k+ bonus for SSRS.

Their total compensation(bonus + base salary) was still lower than my base salary with no bonuses.

That's great pay for 2 years exp, but I have done reporting for 5 years. I was hoping to land the next salary grade of $85k/yr and $15+k. They didn't have an opening at that time.

I come across a couple of $100k($85-95k + bonus) SSRS jobs and they don't require any of that. I had a job for high $90's, when you add the bonus. It didn't even require SSRS. It was SQL development for Excel with an ODBC connection. There was no VBA, ETL tools, SSRS, no windowing functions. Just stick a query in Excel.

Last edited by move4ward; 08-06-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-06-2014, 07:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post

Hit up some of the 10-20 largest employers in Dallas. I had a crap offer from Fortune 20 employer that wanted 2 years of SQL exp for $75k/yr and $10k+ bonus for SSRS.

Their total compensation(bonus + base salary) was still lower than my base salary with no bonuses.

That's great pay for 2 years exp, but I have done reporting for 5 years. I was hoping to land the next salary grade of $85k/yr and $15+k. They didn't have an opening at that time.

I come across a couple of $100k($85-95k + bonus) SSRS jobs and they don't require any of that. I had a job for high $90's, when you add the bonus. It didn't even require SSRS. It was SQL development for Excel with an ODBC connection. It was too easy.
LOL I don't know where you're seeing these jobs, since most of the jobs reqs I see are for purple squirrels.

When was the last time you met anyone who was a ninja with the entire BI stack plus had mad C# skills?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM

322 posts, read 384,823 times
Quote:

I come across a couple of $100k($85-95k + bonus) SSRS jobs and they don't require any of that. I had a job for high $90's, when you add the bonus. It didn't even require SSRS. It was SQL development for Excel with an ODBC connection. There was no VBA, ETL tools, SSRS, no windowing functions. Just stick a query in Excel.
Wow, 2 years of SQL experience for $75k and $10k bonus is awesome. I don't see anything that high where I live. I've got experience across SQL, SSRS, SSIS, and C#/.NET and I'm not getting that. I must be underpaid lol.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
LOL I don't know where you're seeing these jobs, since most of the jobs reqs I see are for purple squirrels.

When was the last time you met anyone who was a ninja with the entire BI stack plus had mad C# skills?
Was that $100k+ job that you turned down looking for a purple squirrel?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Where in Texas is that, because it sure isn't like that around here. If you want to break $100k in SQL Server here, you have to be much more than an SSRS monkey to do it.

The jobs I've seen paying over $100k involve one or more of the following:
  1. Extensive DBA experience
  2. Extensive data warehouse/ETL experience using SSIS/C# and know OLTP like the back of your hand
  3. Be able to explain the difference between Kimball and Inmon, all the different types of data normalization, and MOLAP/ROLAP/HOLAP
  4. Actually know how to use windowing functions in T-SQL in addition to being an actual T-SQL ninja
  5. XQuery, anyone?
  6. Cubes/OLAP/MDX/SSAS
  7. Expert skills with entire BI stack plus .NET

The last job I was contacted for that had a heavy SSRS emphasis (and expected expertise in T-SQL and SSIS as well) paid $70-$85k per year. That's low even for this area, but average is still not $100k.

It was what people in Texas were posting in your thread about bailing out of IT, see link below. I am in Seattle so it takes much more than that to make six figures, but it is not THAT hard to find a six figure job with SharePoint and SQL.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12657300

Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
Wow, 2 years of SQL experience for $75k and $10k bonus is awesome. I don't see anything that high where I live. I've got experience across SQL, SSRS, SSIS, and C#/.NET and I'm not getting that. I must be underpaid lol.
It was for an "Analytics Consultant II" at Wells Fargo. The job description is not standardized though. I have seen some positions requiring 3 years. You can even check GlassDoor, if you don't believe me.

$75k+10k bonus.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Well..._D_KO12,32.htm

Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 PM

322 posts, read 384,823 times
Quote:
It was for an "Analytics Consultant II" at Wells Fargo. The job description is not standardized though. I have seen some positions requiring 3 years. You can even check GlassDoor, if you don't believe me.

$75k+10k bonus.
Wells Fargo Analytics Consultant Salary | Glassdoor
I definitely believe you. I also know that the salaries at my current employer are at the bottom of the market.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
I definitely believe you. I also know that the salaries at my current employer are at the bottom of the market.

If you have a degree and 2 years exp, you can get the job. I had no degree, but they considered me based on 4+ years exp.

Here's one for the analytics 2 position now. It's in a different city though.

Analytics Consultant 2 Jobs in South Carolina at Wells Fargo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells Fargo Job Ad
4+ years reporting and analytical experience

or

a minimum of a Bachelors degree in programs such as applied mathematics, statistics, engineering, physics, accounting, finance, economics or computer sciences with
2+ years directly applicable work experience.
What technical skills do they require?
1) MS Office (I am sure you can use MS Word.)
2) SQL or SAS: You don't need both. I had SQL exp, but no SAS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells Fargo Job Ad
- Proficiency with Microsoft's suite of Office products: Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Visio.

- Demonstrated proficiency with SAS and/or SQL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment