Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 05:04 PM

922 posts, read 1,117,345 times

Advertisements

My DH is in the HVAC field and has been for 13 years. Here's a basic synopsis:

2014- Began working at the newest company.

2011-2014: Works for a local county, becomes the go-to guy, to the point where the head bosses and outside contractors tell the other employees that if they want something done or need help, to go to my DH. The last 2 years he was there he was actively recruited by the company he now works for, which has a large account with the county. He decided to move on from the county and go to the new company because there are a lot more opportunities to move up and get involved in complicated and challenging arenas. He left on decent terms, as 2 of the head honchos weren't thrilled that he was leaving. From what my DH was told by his former colleagues (guys he's become friends with) the bosses were pissed that he left and took it out on the rest of the crew, especially since work wasn't getting done.

2008-2011: Works for a school district, again becomes the go-to guy and while he enjoyed working there, it would have taken years to move up and he desired higher pay so he moved on. He left on favorable terms and his boss told him that guys like him don't stay there very long and he wasn't surprised my husband wanted to move on.

The first issue is this: he has been on jobs located at both of his old places of employment (his company has contracts with each of them) and was told a few things: a friend of his from the county told him that a few of the guys there were talking about him and telling everyone that they're going around and "fixing" my DH's mistakes on all his assignments, which is total crap. I told my DH to ignore it all, as the guys talking about him (one is a guy he worked with the entire time he was there and he was nothing but a lazy-a%% who didn't know very much about the HVAC in the first place and the second guy is my DH's REPLACEMENT, whom he never even worked with, obviously) are just ticked off that they're having to actually WORK for once.

The second issue is this: A few weeks ago, my DH was on a job at the school district. He saw a bunch of his old colleagues and they all welcomed him and were happy to see him. Then my DH came home today and told me that his colleague at his new company, the guy whom was assigned with him to go to the school district, asked him what he had done to the guys over there. My DH was surprised and asked him what he meant and this guy told him that the man who replaced my DH at the school district had come up to him and told him that my DH wasn't ever to come back there and work on their equipment again and that that word came from the head boss (he's the man who told my DH that guys like him don't stick around for very long).

My DH is really disappointed and wanting to know what the heck is going on. I'm livid! Here is what I know about my DH: he is VERY good at what he does, he works HARD, takes his job seriously and really enjoys what he does. He is always willing to help others and wants to continually educate himself so he's always up-to-date and knowledgeable. He's a very likable guy and is respectful and respected by others (with the exception of a few wankers but there's always a few of those around). He's not sure how to handle these situations, especially since his new company still has contracts with his old places of employment. He doesn't want to cause any waves but he also wants to protect his reputation to some extent, too.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:13 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,890,846 times
I know this is not a very satisfying response, but all he can really do is allow his work to speak for itself. If it is clear he knows what he is doing and he does it well, nobody is going to pay any attention to people who claim the opposite.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:41 PM

310 posts, read 687,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
My DH is really disappointed and wanting to know what the heck is going on. I'm livid! Here is what I know about my DH: he is VERY good at what he does, he works HARD, takes his job seriously and really enjoys what he does. He is always willing to help others and wants to continually educate himself so he's always up-to-date and knowledgeable. He's a very likable guy and is respectful and respected by others (with the exception of a few wankers but there's always a few of those around). He's not sure how to handle these situations, especially since his new company still has contracts with his old places of employment. He doesn't want to cause any waves but he also wants to protect his reputation to some extent, too.

Any ideas?
What's happening to your DH is so common that there's a term for it: mobbing.

There's no much he can do, but he's not totally out of options either.

Document everything! He needs to document the work he does, the times when he does it, the quality of it, any issues that came up, the methods and materials used, including taking lots of pictures as well.

Get references from the clients. Have your DH ask the people on whose stuff he works to write him a letter of recommendation, or write him a short recommendation on LinkedIn, or just send him an email saying that he did a good job.

If your DH didn't have a six month performance eval yet then he should make sure that he gets one when the time comes, alternatively a twelve months eval.

Lastly, and this depends on the situation, it may be (and this is a really BIG may be) worth for him to talk to his current supervisor and just bring this up and ask for advice on how to handle it. This is risky if he doesn't have a superb relationship with his supervisor and if he can easily be replaced.

However, good workers who are skilled and have great work ethic are difficult to replace. If the company needs him then they will likely help him to sort it out.

If the company has an Employee Assistance Program then I'd suggest to call that number before talking to the supervisor and see whether something comes of that call.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:10 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,983,296 times
Your husband can be a potential threat. He's working with former colleague's who are probably making less money. Not good.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:33 PM

741 posts, read 919,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Your husband can be a potential threat. He's working with former colleague's who are probably making less money. Not good.
This was my first instinct as well.
A lot of managers get outright hateful towards anyone 'outside' who might threaten their staffing with superior opportunities or even an inkling that better things exist.

Its very easy to envision something like occurring in HVAC where good men are probably very hard to find but the field doesn't have a culture of job changes like tech, so an HVAC operation that gets a good staff is going to be very protective about them.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM

I am thinking the same thing, that my husband is now being viewed as a threat to some people. The HVAC field is filled with people, mainly men, who don't know there butts from a hole in the ground and a lot of laypeople have the belief that anyone can fix an AC or a cooler or a refrigeration system. That is NOT the case. I've watched my husband for 13 years now and the things that he is certified in and has to work on are not only huge, but are also very complicated and involves physics, math and a lot of science/chemistry.

And you're very right, Zaba, it IS hard to find men in the field who actually know what they're doing and can do it well. For example, my husband is one of 2 men in a 500-mile radius who knows how to work on a specific type of machine and it's a machine that Microsoft is implementing into their company.

The other poster was right, too- my DH's work speaks for itself and for now he's going to give it some time and see what else comes up. He would like to call his former boss at the school district and ask him straight out but he may end up just going to his direct supervisor and explaining that he was told that he wasn't welcome back there. We'll wait and see what happens.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM

310 posts, read 687,770 times
Berrie, I am sure you are right about most everything you are saying, but you have to admit that you are a biased observer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
For example, my husband is one of 2 men in a 500-mile radius who knows how to work on a specific type of machine and it's a machine that Microsoft is implementing into their company.
Is it this machine?

Person of Interest : The Machine - YouTube

Old 10-06-2014, 12:15 AM

It's not biased if it's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment