Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 PM

49 posts, read 67,578 times

Advertisements

I too think there is nothing you can do about it, UNLESS, that directly affects your job or future opportunities. Speaking to management badly about a coworker is always bad because they usually explain it as jealousy or just a conflict of interest, even if you are 100% right. When this favoritism starts to affect your opportunity as in a promotion or salary increase and you have the documentation that proves it, maybe it's worth it to take the risk but again, without showing a signal that you are trying to pull your coworker downwards but instead trying to push yourself upwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
OK thanks for all the replies, but please STOP ASSUMING AND CREATING THINGS THAT ARENT THERE. Where in ANY OF MY POSTS about this, have I said that I talked to management or that I was thinking of talking to management.

I am not talking to management. I'm venting HERE over what I perceive to be an injustice.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK thanks for all the replies, but please STOP ASSUMING AND CREATING THINGS THAT ARENT THERE. Where in ANY OF MY POSTS about this, have I said that I talked to management or that I was thinking of talking to management.

I am not talking to management. I'm venting HERE over what I perceive to be an injustice.
Did you read your own thread title? Most of us inferred from the title you were going to take some type of action, not merely venting. That's a reasonable infererence from your thread title.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,472 times
Sometimes people are paid just to be there...to have possession of the intellectual property required to solve problems that advert disasters...sometimes this is worth the payroll cost from a business perspective to have this security.

Since you have so much time on your hands...what are you doing to advance your career? Maybe you need to focus on yourself and not worry about your peers. It is unhealthy to have such an acute interest in this co-worker.

In all environments there is a pecking order...and when you mess with it...the actors lose their shape...and you are left with those that no longer fit. If you like your job and see a future...don't let the person that doesn't fit be you.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
she is not getting her work done to a satisfactory standard. At least not in my book.
You shouldn't have a book! Be happy you're working from home & presumably drawing a decent paycheck. Beats steaming over your co-workers during an hour commute every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My son worked weekends from home ... and a pissing contest ... ensued between two other engineers. Now everybody has to physically come into the office to work
Exactly!
Quote:
please STOP ASSUMING ... I'm venting HERE over what I perceive to be an injustice.
Injustice? Is some innocent person in prison?
Worry less about what your co-workers are doing, and more on what you are doing.
Jealousy is the green-eyed monster!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
Quote:

It sucks big time, but guess what? All jobs have employees like the one you are venting about. I work with people that literally fall asleep on the job constantly. Not my problem or issue. It used to upset me when other did hold up to my standards. I was angry enough that I went to management once many, many years ago to complain about another person's performance. Guess what? Absolutely nothing changed except that the manager went and told the person that I reported her.

Never again.

I learned to control what I do and say. It comes with age and experience. Usually the perpetrator does something foolish. Seen coworkers get caught for stealing prescriptions - FIRED. Others stealing overtime - FIRED.

What's even more common is to see a great employee get railroaded or set up for being a busy body tattle tail and they are shown the door! Don't let that be you.

When you feeling the urge to micro manage this other employees work habits, redirect that behavior. There's a reason she has been there 12 years, but unfortunately that reason is none of your business or concern.

Just do you!

Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
This woman does one report each day, that none of the rest of you do. It appears that she may be working on different projects than you are, or at least one we know of.

What does she have to do that is not working on the computer constantly. What does she do to prepare before making computer entries. Is it possible she may be doing prep or review work, and the computer times out before she makes her next entries. Here job, may not entail constant computer data entry and yours does. Does she have her computer set, for a short period before it times out, and you have a longer period.

It appears that you are spending a lot of company time keeping track of her, right down to checking her computer timing out, and checking her work for mistakes. If that is not part of your job, then you have no business doing it. You are sticking your nose in checking on another employee, that you have no business checking out. Apparently the problem in the office is you, not the other employee.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:04 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Sorry Charlie, I am all done with my work, which was 10 tickets, and now I have the time to watch her not work on her 6 tickets. You're right though, I would probably be happier if I let this go.

And no I highly doubt she's sleeping with a higher up, as our boss is across the U.S. from us, and our next higher up boss is a woman who is married with children. They are friends, though. But this woman (the higher up) seems like a highly work ethical, hard ass so I really doubt that is the reason the slacker is getting away with her slacking. It's probably just that no one pays much attention. All you have to do is glance at the IM box every so often to see how often she is showing as away. I barely have to take any time to see her doing that. I just have it up and it catches my eye or I'll just glance at it and see. Today, I logged in at 7:05 and she was showing away at 7:06, 7:14, 7:21, 7:33 and 11:00. It's really not hard to do work and see all that at the same time. It's called being observant.
First of all, someone who's going from away to present to away four times in less than a half-hour probably isn't ACTUALLY away, but just in a different tab or letting the screen sit idle for too long, which could easily have an innocent explanation like looking something up or doing something on paper. Secondly, if she WAS actually away that much, who knows if it wasn't due to something like a health problem with gastrointestinal implications that's absolutely none of your business, and could even be protected under law (reasonable accommodations)? And thirdly, if you were done with all your work, why not do something more enjoyable with your extra time than meddling in your coworker's business?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Honestly, no, she is not getting her work done to a satisfactory standard. At least not in my book.** In a timely manner? On time? Barely. And in the recent past, much of her work ended up getting done past the due date, as if she was completely ignoring it.

**she makes careless errors all the time, she doesn't fill out forms completely and clearly, she drags her feet and procrastinates, which is a big cause of careless errors....
Do you get blamed for these errors? Are you the one who has to finish her assignments that you believe she procrastinates on or fails to complete? Can you point to anything specific she has done repeatedly that has lost the company money you can absolutely measure?

Unless you are demonstrably damaged (and not merely annoyed by what you see as unfairness), her performance is not your business. It's as simple as that. If her "crimes" are provable and she is costing the company serious money that you can calculate, then you have to decide if you're willing to put your job on the line just to see her punished. Because if you lose the argument, you just look like a jealous busybody. And all your other co-workers will be wondering if you're also spying on them.

Her work might not be up to your standards. But she might be doing something for someone that you simply cannot see, whether or not that seems appropriate to you.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Honestly, no, she is not getting her work done to a satisfactory standard. At least not in my book.** In a timely manner? On time? Barely. And in the recent past, much of her work ended up getting done past the due date, as if she was completely ignoring it.

**she makes careless errors all the time, she doesn't fill out forms completely and clearly, she drags her feet and procrastinates, which is a big cause of careless errors....

Here is the reality of the situation: It isn't YOUR BOOK so "according to your book" means nothing to anyone but you.

You are spending too much time paying attention to a co-worker and her habits that you are being paid for spending too much time paying attention to a co-worker and her habits and that is not your job.
Do your job to the best of your ability and keep you danged nosy self out of a co-workers position or tell your boss that you have been tending to her job let's say 10 hours this week so they need to dock your pay 10 hours. That way you will only be paid for what you are supposed to be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment