Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times

Advertisements

I had some amazing managers who went out of their way for their employees & even stood up to the customers & upper management for their team. When I was interning I didn't have a driving license. This was a small town with no public transportation. I was taking a cab everyday so my manager said he could pick me up & have someone from the team drop me back. I lived close to the company so they didn't have to drive out of their way but still it was a HUGE deal for me at that time. After my internship I applied for a full time job at one of their joint ventures & continued to work there for almost a decade. The good treatment from my manager & the team was the reason I chose to stay with that company. I paid it forward by helping out another intern who was in same situation as me & even he ended up staying there for almost 5yrs. Had another manager who would look out for bad weather, storms, snow & would tell employees to go home early. Another manager would hire short-time contractors to help his team when the workload was heavy for some projects. In my old company we were not paid overtime but still the employees worked extra hours frequently to meet project deadlines because we didnt want to let down our manager. When he found out we worked extra he would personally thank us & ask us to take some time off after the project was done & just charge it as training. We had some internal differences about innovation & progress, but I would have never left them if I didnt have to relocate for personal reasons. These are the companies where you frequently run into people who have been there for decades & retire from the same company.

These are the managers who earn loyalty of their team & have a high employee retention rate. I have been to corporate training classes where they taught us to take an interest in the well being of the team as it would benefit the company in the long term. The employees wont leave you as soon as someone offers them a little extra money. Its not always about money, its about feeling comfortable, treated well & protected under a good leadership. Thats my top priority when looking for a job. I have friends in the same field of work who get scolded by their managers for showing up 15min late to work (even though they work extra to make up for it), get vacation time rejected, not allowed to use headphones to listen to music, questioned in detail about sick leave & get severely micro-managed by a manager who just wants to make profit, step over his employees & look good to the upper management. They refused to work extra hours without being paid overtime & just stuck to 8-5 workdays even during strict project deadlines. They started looking for a job soon after they joined & left in less than a year. The company not only lost good employees but also customers due to missed project deadlines. You will see a lot of new faces at these companies & by the time you know their name, they are gone. Good or bad management works from top-down & if your manager is treating you badly, you will follow their lead & treat your team the same way. Thats what defines the culture of a company & their management style. Training managers to be emotionally intelligent will earn BIG rewards for the company. This is Generation X & Y who have different working styles so the management has to conform to them.

Last edited by theluckygal; 08-19-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

I have subordinate managers and associates approach me for many things. I know I'm a nice, laid back guy but I NEVER take personal interests in my staff, for that reason. Once you give one favor, they'll expect another.

I've had staff members that have felt it was my job to save theirs when their tail was on the line as a result of their terrible attendance or subpar performance.
Quote:
MOST of you that have replied have missed the mark 100%.

I am not responsible for helping people keep their jobs, if they deserve to be fired.

I am not responsible for providing transportation to and from work

I am not responsible providing personal favors for subordinate staff.

The above is what my post WAS/IS about. It clearly states that. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of you have selective reading skills.

You guys are the dumbest people that I've ever come across! You cannot even read and comprehend.

Good f-ing grief.
Something must have been lost in translation. I'm not getting that nice, laid back vibe....

And sometimes, it doesn't matter how clear YOU think your message is. If you want others to hear you, you need to make sure those you're talking to are clear....

Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:

I am not responsible for helping people keep their jobs, if they deserve to be fired.

The above is what my post WAS/IS about. It clearly states that. Nothing more, nothing less. Most of you have selective reading skills.

You guys are the dumbest people that I've ever come across! You cannot even read and comprehend.

Good f-ing grief.
^^^^ Hmm, if this is the way you react to and communicate on a forum to people you hardly know, I wonder if you treat your subordinates with equity. From your post, we do see that you appear to only see things your way and are not willing to consider the perspectives of others. At least those are the vibes I may be picking up. People are human. If you want them to perform well, you must treat them with respect. Name-calling and berating are not ways to show that you have authority; they are only ways to isolate people and cause them to question your competence. Doing what is good for the company sometimes means doing what is best for your employees.

That said, though, if people approach you, it means that they trust you. You should be happy that you have the kind of people skills required to make people believe in you; these skills are not easily learned by some, and they shouldn't be disregarded. They are your main resources for doing your job effectively. You should adopt a calm disposition and be happy for the gift of personality you have. You don't have to go out of your way to do favors for employees if you don't want to. If you think it is an unreasonable request just calmly explain that to the employee who requests and offer an alternative. If the employee asks for a ride home, offer to call a cab. If the employee is in danger of being fired, remind him or her that you cannot argue in their defense; it is out of your hands. Offer, though, to be a source of support in helping the person find a new job, if possible. Just think of little things you can do to make the workplace calm and pleasant. Act with authority, gentleness, and understanding.

I kind of wish I had your problem. My students don't come to me for anything, even though I'm willing to help. I wish I had that warm personality that people are drawn to as opposed to this cold one that I have to put up with. Consider yourself extremely fortunate, and don't stop being kind. It will come back to you one day.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:

Good f-ing grief.
Maybe your post would have been better interpreted if you didn't insult people and made it much clearer.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Good f-ing grief.

We can read and comprehend.

The problem is that you're an ineffectual communicator because what your post said, and what you wanted it to say, are not the same.

That is completely on you. Not us.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
What is with all these threads from managers lately? If you really had a job to do, you wouldn't be on here railing constantly against employees. Get off the internet and get back to work; or school.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Quote:

Good f-ing grief.
You are in middle management.

You are cartilage.

When you make C suite you can be a big idea/picture guy, make unilateral decisions and expect others to figure out what the hell you are talking about...until then you'll have to deal with the messiness that is managing people.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
For some odd reason, as long as I've been in management, I always seem to have a few staff members that believe I am employed to look out for their best interests, ABOVE the companies. I don't want to sound like a company man BUT, I look out for the best interests of those that pay me.

I'm not employed to help you keep your job, do personal favors, provide transportation, etc....

I have subordinate managers and associates approach me for many things. I know I'm a nice, laid back guy but I NEVER take personal interests in my staff, for that reason. Once you give one favor, they'll expect another.

I've had staff members that have felt it was my job to save theirs when their tail was on the line as a result of their terrible attendance or subpar performance.
Quote:

Good f-ing grief.
In reality and in fact you are NOT responsible for keeping someone from losing their job because of their actions in whatever fashion which has led to the firing. Chronic shoddy work, tardiness, and/or absenteeism is something which you need to address and let the chips fall where they may.

Your second post, however, belies the fact that you may think you are a nice, laid back guy but if you never take a personal interest in your staff, ever/at all...then you're not. It sounds more like you are, yourself burnt out and need an epiphany of some sort.

Your employees are human beings and all human beings have needs and may not have anywhere else to turn in some instances. You just need to know where to draw the line without it negatively impacting you, your employees or the relationship you need to maintain as the manager. Not always an easy thing to do, that's why you're the manager and they're not.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I bet OP Manages a Kwik-E-Mart or similar.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
For some odd reason, as long as I've been in management, I always seem to have a few staff members that believe I am employed to look out for their best interests, ABOVE the companies. I don't want to sound like a company man BUT, I look out for the best interests of those that pay me.

I'm not employed to help you keep your job, do personal favors, provide transportation,etc....

The bolded sections are the parts I have a problem with. As a manager, it is your job to keep a watch on an employee's performance, monitor them and make sure they know if they're failing, maybe even come up with a plan to help them out if that's part of your company's culture. If they ignore you or keep on sub-performing then you at least know you tried, but you don't just give up on someone. That's lousy management and worse leadership.

As a manager, you're not there to be their best friend or confidante BUT if an employee has a personal issue that affects their job, then you do need to take an interest because what your employees do reflects on you.

I've known people who were managers and actually got demoted from that position because their subordinates complained so much about their lack of empathy, their unreasonable expectations, their unpleasant demeanour. Employees found reasons not to come into work because they couldn't face dealing with their manager.

I think you need to stop managing people and go into Human Resources. That sounds like your forte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment