Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,195 times

Advertisements

I work in accounting for a Fortune 250, not going to name since Im on here so much

Anyways it really bothers me that in my industry you are promoted based upon your technical knowledge and your "time served" rather than actual managerial skills. In my view, and Id argue most peoples view, is that management is a special skillset in and of itself that many are not cut out for. The problem we see here is because of this we have the most godaweful managers under the face of the sun. They know how to accurately report our financials of course, at the expense of every single lower level employee hating their job.

Is this a common promotion process where you work/in your field?

Id also point out that our manager to non manager ratio in my group is 1:1. They make everybody a manager eventually and put someone under them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM

1,274 posts, read 980,572 times
It's not really the "time served" but it's equivalent as if you don't spend a certain amount of time, people do not know you, unless you are a super star, and therefore cannot vote for your promotion.

That's all for us.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,381,963 times
I work in a small, satellite office, so not sure how it works in HQ. The two people that have moved up, of the maybe ten or so who have ever worked here, were in junior level positions and got to move to the full role in roughly a year or so each. Most other places I've worked were call centers, thus promotion was just based on popularity.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 AM

928 posts, read 1,102,711 times
My company is too small and new for me to be able to tell. My previous company, basically you either have to be e survivor of a reorg, a cute girl working under the right manager (I saw the dumbest ghetto bimbo go from receptionist to a client facing sales role in a manner of months, she can't even speak proper English, but she's attractive), or you have to really be liked by senior management and have an in with them.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I work in accounting for a Fortune 250, not going to name since Im on here so much

Anyways it really bothers me that in my industry you are promoted based upon your technical knowledge and your "time served" rather than actual managerial skills. In my view, and Id argue most peoples view, is that management is a special skillset in and of itself that many are not cut out for. The problem we see here is because of this we have the most godaweful managers under the face of the sun. They know how to accurately report our financials of course, at the expense of every single lower level employee hating their job.

Id also point out that our manager to non manager ratio in my group is 1:1. They make everybody a manager eventually and put someone under them.
Where I work and in my industry in general, you are promoted in terms of years of experience and technical knowledge, as you so speak.

There are exceptions, especially at the managerial level. Somebody more ambitious or at least somebody who can talk the talk can make a Tier 7 position while somebody who is some years older will remain at a Tier 5 position, etc.

I think this is the way that it should be. You should put in your time.

When you have 27 year olds being promoted to managerial positions over 40 year olds, things get very messy and there's a lot of spite and backstabbing going on.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

Where I work and in my industry in general, you are promoted in terms of years of experience and technical knowledge, as you so speak.

There are exceptions, especially at the managerial level. Somebody more ambitious or at least somebody who can talk the talk can make a Tier 7 position while somebody who is some years older will remain at a Tier 5 position, etc. But in general, the jumps aren't too crazy.

I think this is the way that it should be. You should put in your time.

When you have 27 year olds being promoted to managerial positions over 40 year olds, things get very messy and there's a lot of spite and backstabbing going on.

Where I work, there's already office politics and some amount of backstabbing. And it's a relatively lower paying industry. I can't even imagine how bad that would be in a large multinational where promotions mean big $.

Last edited by jobaba; 08-21-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
There have been some promotions here given to "great employees" with no supervisory experience, as a "development opportunity." Almost every case has resulted in failure and eventual voluntary demotion, and a mess to clean up for the next person. With the average age here climbing and retirements already frequent, some of us managers are starting to develop people ahead of time. In my case for example, it will be another 6-8 years before I go, but I am encouraging my workers with potential to get the management/supervisory training they need over that time to be able to successfully compete for my job when I go. We have tuition refund and will also pay for approved training if requested.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 AM

5,135 posts, read 4,492,914 times
1. Be young, blond, and Ivy educated
2. Make the company boatloads of money

One or the other, but preferably both.

I no longer work there, but that's how it was.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,936,947 times
Lips... meet butt.... *smoochy**smoochy*

Doesn't hurt to be in with the right people too.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,997,021 times
They don't in the small branch I work. the 1-2 people that have are in good with upper management with their lips constantly attached to their backsides all day.

The other 15-20 people that work there are stuck in the same positions year after year with no upward mobility at all.

Basically its a dead end place but at least its full time, steady days weekends off so can't complain too much I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment