Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM

57 posts, read 53,026 times

Advertisements

This is a new issue i have never experienced before until this current go-around looking for a new job.

I have been on two interviews with two different companies, each with their own recruiters at those companies. They did a pre-interview with me on the phone and then were quite excited to have me come in to interview in person. One is a medium-sized company, and one is large. Both are well-respected and well-known organizations.

At the first interview 3 weeks ago, I met with the person I'd be supporting (I'm an EA). He is the CEO of the organization. We hit it off well (I thought), and that is the last I've heard from them other than me reaching out to the recruiter to find out what was up. Five days ago, she responded to my query by saying he had 2 more people to interview, and then she would let me know. I have never heard another word.

Interview #2 occurred 2 weeks ago. I was contacted by their out-of-state recruiter who was very nice (aren't they all...) in response to receiving my resume. We talked/emailed several times, and I went in and had part one of the interview with the VP of HR. I was called immediately the next day to come back in and interview with their CEO the following day. I also thought we all were on the same page as far as how everyone saw the job, what they were looking for, what I wanted, etc. Two weeks go by and nada. I emailed the recruiter yesterday and asked if there was any news to please let me know. Crickets.

I am amazed at the level of unprofessionalism I'm encountering. At least have the courtesy to call me back and say: 1. Sorry this is taking so long, or 2. We decided to go with another candidate, or 3. Welcome to the company. But to not call at ALL...? As everyone knows, the onus is on the candidate to look like a brilliant shooting star in their universe. It's a very stressful, time-consuming, and emotionally trying position to be in. I have been in job-search mode many times throughout my long career, and I have never experienced this before.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

790 posts, read 1,881,391 times
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there, too. I've had interviews where I never heard back from the recruiter or the company. Unfortunately, I think this behavior is common place. I don't know why. My friends say the same thing.

One of my best friends was interviewed by a Fortune 500 company (like somewhere between #2 and #9 on the list). She spoke with two recruiters and went in for a one-on-one interview. Then ..... nothing. No response.....nothing.

I think you're doing all the right things. You've reached back to them, and that's kind of all you can do. If you're really interested, maybe another ping in a week or two? Meanwhile, keep looking! Sending you best wishes for smoother sails!! Hang in there.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 PM

359 posts, read 476,990 times
This seems to be the norm for me. I went through the hiring process a year ago... I went on 4 interviews. 2 never called/emailed me, 1 offered the job and then retracted the offer "because the CEO wants to cut spending" and the 4th hired me. You are just a number. In this area, especially, every job will have hundreds of applicants and a handful of interviews. The company has better things to do with their time than call you and let you down easy.

It sucks, its rude, but its standard practice.

Keep at it, and your hard work will pay off!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:06 PM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
I believe it was George Bernard Shaw that wrote "those who can, do; those who can't, teach". I think of recruiters as the business equivalent.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Oh yeah, that's happened to me a number of times -- it's basically par for the course these days. I agree, job-seekers are treated poorly by so many HR professionals (not all of them, of course). If you've been in for an interview, you deserve follow-up. And if there is no update yet, they need to tell you that too. HR professionals will tell you they're overworked, and that may be true. What they may not realize is that when they ignore a candidate who has taken the time to come for an interview, they're sending out the message that their company doesn't treat people with respect. Generally I consider it a bullet dodged.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
I'd put recruiters at the bottom of the list, especially the third-party recruiters. Just above telemarketers and tow truck drivers.

Even the recruiters who work for the company probably work off site, maybe in a different part of the country. You're just another number they put on their monthly performance review.

I've applied for countless jobs since I graduated college, and while Ive been lucky and never have been without a good job, I would only hear back if I was the guy they ended up hiring. Travel five hours and go through two days of interviews? Not even an email back. Take the day off for an interview, but then have it postponed till a week later? Only get a reply after I send multiple emails per person to multiple people.

I understand they may get a high volume of applications, but if someone takes the friggin day off to interview, and maybe even travel a long way, at least an email telling them they weren't selected would be nice.

And they wonder why there's no loyalty among employees...

Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
One of my children had an interview with a Fortune 500 company in the DC area. Everything seemed to go well . . . but nothing. A week or she finally called the recruiter who said they were still making decisions. A full month and a half went by and suddenly she gets a call with an offer and when could she come in to sign paperwork. Umm, no, thank you, already took another job. HR's question "If we had called you back sooner, would it have made a difference?". Ya think?

Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,285 times
I interviewed for a position a few years ago. Interview didn't go great in my opinion so I wasn't surprised when I didn't hear anything. About three weeks after the interview, I get an offer letter in my email inbox. No call, nothing, just an email with a salary offer that I was to sign and return. It was bizarre.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM

57 posts, read 68,308 times
It's rude, whatever it is! I noticed this happeneing a few years ago when I moved back to NY. (And have had it happen in this area, but not nearly as much.) Several rounds of interviews, then nothing ... or, you get the 'rejected' email 4 seconds after you apply online. I, at least, appreciate the latter ... it's at least something, instead of keeping you waiting around and wondering.

I've read a lot of recruiters explain "they don't have the time." I think that's a pathetic excuse. You've narrowed down the candidate pool to just a few in the end. If you can't send a letter to those handful of people that took the time to meet with you, and other members of the organization (sometimes multiple times), you should really leave your position and learn how to organize your day better.

I'll go back to my original statement, it's rude!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,765,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess73 View Post
I've read a lot of recruiters explain "they don't have the time." I think that's a pathetic excuse. You've narrowed down the candidate pool to just a few in the end. If you can't send a letter to those handful of people that took the time to meet with you, and other members of the organization (sometimes multiple times), you should really leave your position and learn how to organize your day better.

I'll go back to my original statement, it's rude!
At least an email. Even a mass email sent to whoever was interviewed. That takes maybe a minute, tops.

Its very rude and inconsiderate. In addition to a few debacles with getting brought on at a few different jobs, I really have no respect for most HR. They simply don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search