Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hally79 View Post
I officially asked a salary raise from 60k to 80k a year.

I asked it in a very polite way and showed my accomplishments, results and motivation

But I now feel a bit bad becuase maybe 20k more is too much, considering I was here for 1 year only and not sure what my manager reaction will be

Should I send him and email and say I re-considered my request and ask for 70k and the rest 10k will be after 1 more year?

Or should I let the request be as it is?

Just leave it alone. Let them come back to you with a counter-offer. If you go back and change it to something less, they'll offer you even less than that because they now know you're questioning your worth.

Leave it be until you get a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:38 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
I officially asked a salary raise from 60k to 80k a year.

I asked it in a very polite way and showed my accomplishments, results and motivation

But I now feel a bit bad becuase maybe 20k more is too much, considering I was here for 1 year only and not sure what my manager reaction will be

Should I send him and email and say I re-considered my request and ask for 70k and the rest 10k will be after 1 more year?

Or should I let the request be as it is?
Absolutely you should send them an email about your reconsideration. This will show you deserve a 33% pay cut.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There is nothing wrong with asking for a significant raise ... if it is justified. Rather than send emails rescinding your request, which will really make you look bad, start compiling statistics and information to justify your request. Also, be prepared to quantitatively support your value to the company.

Then, when they respond to your request, you will be able to at least demonstrate some type of credible basis for your request. Even if you have to ultimately admit that you were pulling statistics for areas with a more expensive cost-of-living, it will be better than admitting that you simply think too highly of yourself and didn't really research the matter.

If you really have no basis at all for your request, you are still going to have to find some way to 'salvage' this thing, so they don't simply move you to the top of their 'expendable employees list.'
I have to agree with jghorton here, for traditional employee/employer relationships. Except for one thing: this isn't your traditional employee and everything is suspect.

First the employee is on a work visa. Means they're not going to get "top dollar" or anywhere close to competitive salaries in other companies. They were offered the most the employer felt the employee was worth at the time. Might that change in the future? Sure.

Which leads to problem #2: asking for a raise a year out is fine. Asking for a 33% increase is not. Especially if all you've done to earn a raise is "your job". As others have stated, they might have gotten a raise in the neighborhood of 3-5% MAYBE, and that's assuming the quality of work was top notch.

My theory here: the OP is not accustomed to the "way of things".
  • You don't get raises for doing "your job". You get them for going above and beyond the call of duty constantly. Some employers might give Cost-of-Living bumps and it's OK to expect those. Beyond that, it's wishful thinking unless you've increased your value to them so much that they can't afford to lose you. If you're on a work visa this is NOT the case.
  • You must research fair salaries BEFORE accepting a position at a company. Then, when you're offered the position, THAT is when you negotiate for the salary you want, not after you've started. Why? Because as noted, you're setting yourself up for the undocumented "chopping block" come time to lay off staff.
  • It's better if your company offers you substantial raises as an acknowledgement of your work rather than you asking for them, because it gives you an indication of how important they feel you are to them. If they're not offering raises then clearly your value isn't much above the basic duties.
  • It's been ONE FRICKIN YEAR. You ought to know better than to ask for a raise that large a year out!! If you've been at the company for 3-5 years with no increase that's one thing, but one year? Really?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
You are right.
When I asked 20k more my thoughts were:

1) it's a 10k they should have gave (they couldn't offer more) last year when hired + 10k for this year
2) I ask 20k and they give me 10k

I am afraid now the company will think I am an unrelible and unfair person....I've always tried to be nice to them and deserve their trust, I don't wanna ruin the relationship with my manager.

I just thought that after 1 year, considering good things I've done and the same position in the market, 10-15k more would be fair to ask
It is reasonable to ask for a 5-10% raise. You have asked for a 33% raise. You asked for too much.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I know I asked too much, the point now is what to do next?
Look for a job that pays $80k, and prove you're worth it.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 PM

39 posts, read 165,711 times
Guys I know I asked too much I know...it feels terribly bad...
Don't keep saying that please.
I am just trying to understand what to do next.
My manager is very nice...I just don't want to ruin our relationship and the relationship with the company with this absurd request I've made

Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Guys I know I asked too much I know...it feels terribly bad...
Don't keep saying that please.
I am just trying to understand what to do next.
My manager is very nice...I just don't want to ruin our relationship and the relationship with the company with this absurd request I've made
Dude there are four pages of responses giving you advice.

What's done is done. You can't undo it. All you can do right now is update your resume (just in case) and try to relax. And learn from this pretty amateurish blunder.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 PM

39 posts, read 165,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Dude there are four pages of responses giving you advice.

What's done is done. You can't undo it. All you can do right now is update your resume (just in case) and try to relax. And learn from this pretty amateurish blunder.
can they fire me?
Am I out the company consideration now?

Wasn't legitim at all to think that the raise I asked is becuase I wasn't payed enough from the benigging + the fact I have done a significant job during this year?

Should I at least remind this to my job before he reports my request to the headquarter in Europe?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
can they fire me?
Am I out the company consideration now?
Please clear your head and ask yourself this question: Why would WE know that?

Will you get fired? Probably not, at least not right away. But I wouldn't be surprised if they counteroffer with a much lower raise, and if you pissed them off enough they'll start looking for a reason to fire you. Get your resume ready and reconnect with your social network.

Honestly, if I had an employee come to me asking for such a massive raise I'd just laugh and say "NO!" immediately. I'd give them examples of the kinds of skills, experience, and project work I'd expect to see from someone at that level and tell you that once you acquire that level of expertise, we can revisit your request. And while you were doing that, I'd be looking for a reason to get rid of you unless you just ROCKED at your job and this was the only slipup you ever made...EVER. Given your tendency to worry and whine and the quality of your written English, I'm guessing you're probably not #1 in your boss's eyes.

Quote:
Wasn't legitim at all to think that the raise I asked is becuase I wasn't payed enough from the benigging + the fact I have done a significant job during this year?

Should I at least remind this to my job before he reports my request to the headquarter in Europe?
If you wanted $80k, you should have negotiated that salary from the outset or looked for a job that pays what you feel you're worth.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
You are getting paranoid. They have brought you over to get cheap-er labor. After a year, they might like you enough to give you a raise. Perhaps not all you wanted, but some. You are too emotional about this and please calm down.

I doubt you will get fired, because if it is true what you told us here--you are 33% or more cheaper than local talent. If you are excellent in what you do, you are in stronger position that you think.

Meeting in the middle, is probably, what will happen in the end. Retracting you raise demand will put you in a weird spot where you could lose your credibility and boss's respect. He or she, if truly good boss, will probably ask for something to give you some morale boost, and make you feel like your efforts are appreciated. If you retract, you will make your boss speaking with his/her boss look like a fool. Most people dislike looking like fools, and even more, wasting their bosses time for "bipolar" employee who goes from one extreme to the next.

I do not think you should be polishing your resume yet at all. Fact that your boss did not say no immediately, means that you are appreciated. Work extra hard, and especially if they give you some raise. Make you good boss look extra good.

Go to sleep now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment