Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,929,212 times

Advertisements

How many people really go to work skipping and singing. That's why its called a "job". Have other passions on nights and weekends, but don't quit a sure thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,815,345 times
If he didn't like his job so much then he should have never tried to work there. This is the problem. Plus why does he need to quit his job to pursue his dreams? He can look for what he wants to do when he's not working.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,938,819 times
I don't fault a guy for taking the chance .
Some times it pays of and often it does not.
I have mostly worked for some one or a business but not so successful and doing it on my own.
No one gives you all the facts in school , they waste you time with junk you never need and will never see again in your lifetime.
I have come up with a lot of ideas for things I need and build them my self , as for marketing I look at the practically of if there are others the need the same equipment and what it's worth to go to that much trouble.
I had friends that went to school to be engineer and when they got out ,there were too many of them.
secondly ,
Choosing a profession that is a hobby you love, can be a mistake, turning in to a JOB your tired of, at the end of the day.
Trying to convince your self that you are the exception to the rule is the first big mistake..
Like trying to be the first professional laundry attendant, in a nudist colony .
There needs to be a reasonable justification for the service , a demand , and the sufficient capability of filling that void.
Many small business fail ,only reaching in one avenue , I have seen a number of products fail, because they had such a narrow view of their products application ,it failed unnecessarily because too few saw anything but it was marketed for.
Generally people are not bright enough to pick up on many products capabilities except for what's specifically listed.
At the same time ,some of these folk will use a screw driver for a pry bar. Go figure.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,239,991 times
It's all about responsibilities. If the guy has a wife and four young kids depending on him, then he is worse than an idiot, but a single guy at 42 quitting a low wage non-career position to pursue a "dream" ... Meh, non story really.

Things didn't go a planned (or non-planned in this case)? Another meh... He's the only one helped or damaged by his decision.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 AM

25 posts, read 52,655 times
I would agree that this guy being single and only responsible for himself is what "sealed the deal". If he had a family to support, it would have probably gone a different way. I have often thought of quitting my job of 20 years to pursue my dream job. Then reality kicks in along with the responsibilities of a mortgage, bills, family, etc. Best of luck to this fella.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,670 times
Theres a difference between a middle management finance guy who stashes 700k away and pays off his debt THEN quits and takes up his dream job as a fishing charter boat captain VERSES a mediocre employee who is still buried under debt and thinks the grass is greener on the other side. The guys I know who took a "dream" job are in their 50s or later and had a significant nest egg.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM

217 posts, read 314,627 times
I commend this guy. very few people in society have enough balls to take a leap of faith.

Go big or go home.

You dont win big if you dont take big risks. Although there is no guarantee or success, at least he tried.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,149,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I'm proud of the guy. I will be doing something similar this November. I hope to have that same swagger when I give my company 2 weeks notice. Granted, my job is of the low wage, no benefit, no future variety. But I'm 44, my son now grown, so it's to for me to move out of frozen Pennsylvania in on to greener (warmer) pastures. I have no job lined up, understand that I will be living in my car for at least a few months, and still haven't picked a destination. I guess sometimes you have to take a leap of faith.

You will be a legend with chutzpah. Doing what many of us were unable to do or fully follow through. Do not waver. Get out and be gone!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,223,001 times
As someone who has been in the business the author had hoped to dive into for 15+ years; this might have worked in another profession but NOT advertising, especially on the creative side. Hiring writers and art directors, no matter the client, no matter if it's digital or traditional, is some of the most fickle hiring that exists in big business and has been for DECADES. If you work at an agency that is doing well, you are guaranteed to be talented -- they only hire/keep the best of the best AND, you don't get paid much until you're 7+ years in AND you've had a variety of big clients AND you've won awards.

Next, agencies RARELY pay for interns as securing an internship in creative advertising is like winning a medal -- everyone expects to work for nothing and this has been this way forever, it's the way that it is and it is accepted. Even the most junior positions pay hardly anything in contrast to entry level in other industries but these positions are hard to land because so many want them... yet agencies only hire/keep the cream of the crop. If someone isn't studied enough to know this (if he had gone to school for it at a reputable place, he'd not only know and breathe this, he's also have contacts) he doesn't deserve pity. None of this is an industry secret. If you don't know it, you've got your head in the clouds.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,548,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I've seen statistics about most businesses failing within the first certain number of years. Something like a 90% failure rate within 5 years of starting the business. I don't know if those are the exact numbers I saw, but they were .
I've seen the same numbers and I think they are skewed. I don't think it means that after 5 years 90% of the people are flat broke (which is how many want to interpret it). I think it means 90% are not in the business they started. Maybe it was successful and they sold it. Maybe they got tired of the grind of working for themselves and went back to work for a company. Perhaps at a higher salary when they originally left to go out on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment