Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm only one person in a country of over 300 million people...
It only takes one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Plenty of truth to the story...

We've been losing qualified medical personnel left and right...

A 40% raise, retirement and family health benefits is all it takes. Lost 20 % in the last 6 months and all but one landed at our competitor a not for profit.

It was not always like this...

20 years ago we were a magnet for the best and brightest.

Management changed and it has been downhill ever since... We are a for profit and the Physician owners are not seeing enough profit.

The latest straw is a use it or lose it vacation policy...

Problem is several have put in to use it and have been told no because there is no one to cover for them since so many have left...

Contrary to the title... we do realize it and many have responded by leaving...

Maybe this is the new norm?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
IF everyone would simply start taking their vacation - this would no longer be a problem. The problem lies when one or two people start forfeiting their vacation (management included) ~ then everyone else is measured by that yardstick.

Take your vacation people!

When you are dying - you will NOT wish you would have worked that one additional day . . . . . . you'll lament at the lack of vacations you took; the fun you didn't have; the family you didn't spend time with.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I used to accumulate just to have more available if I did decide on a long one, and was up to 400+ hours. This past year, I have taken a total of 3 weeks, and have one more week coming up in November. I never worry about my employer
thinking how well they managed without me, on the contrary it's more likely that things will pile up and they will be glad to have me back since no one takes my place. As a manager, the director I report to has to handle any issues while I'm gone and doesn't like to have to get that much into detail. We can only accumulate up to 440 hours now or will have to sell back the excess. Most of my people are at about 100 hours on the books, and earning about 200 hours a year.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:50 PM

431 posts, read 599,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Getting screwed compared to what? A few wealthy Western European countries, where folks pay 50-70% of their income in taxes.
My deductions from the US pay check are higher than those I used to have in the UK.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 PM

417 posts, read 445,363 times
I am well aware of how poorly the American worker is compared to other developed countries, and don't see this situation improving anytime soon.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
Thought these were pretty obvious ways American workers are getting screwed. Even worse when you look at Canada and European counties who are making policies that give workers more time off, shorter days, and better work life balance. To succeed in America you got to work like a horse just to stay afloat.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:21 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sorry. Can't relate. I take every vacation day, every personal day, and most of my sick days. Every year.

I control my advancement.
Same here, except sick days which I get $250 for perfect attendance at the end of the year.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
#3 is right on the money. With the competition for jobs and the economy in general, I feel many employees like myself feel a 'pressure' to not take too much time off due to work schedule.

I'm sure some of you may poo-poo this notion and this article in general, that's fine, perhaps you work for yourself and all, but it's the reality for a lot of workers.

3 ways American workers get screwed without even realizing it - Salon.com
My employer is described in this article, even the HR regional director said the company was all take and no give. While corporate is starting to get more stringent with lunch breaks (read: they got busted) I make the concerted effort to take my lunch (the full hour), and because I work in the field if I'm not home 30-60 min before my shift ends I won't write/respond to email until the next day. I also won't answer phone calls or texts after hours and when I'm on vacation all work related electronics are shut off and put in the closet.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
"To succeed in America you got to work like a horse just to stay afloat."... agreed, the rest of the world hates the American worker. The corporations all wish we would go away so they could hire cheap foreign labor. We are just in the way of them making huge-r profits.
And politicians really just seem interested in buying more votes by pandering to the undocumented and the people w/govt jobs.
For the record, I have always taken all of my vacations, I only get 2 weeks total - no paid sick days, only unpaid. What irks me is when these companies don't let their new hires take ANY paid time off for the first year. WAY to burn out your new employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment