Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 12,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm currently in between interviews and one company says they are waiting on a budget approval before I enter the next round. Has anyone else experienced this? Does an approval mean that they might not even open the position after interviewing? I'm stressing out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:15 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
It could mean several things, such as the director has submitted his budget to the VP of Finance for approval. The VP can approve it or send it back and tell the director to make cuts. The director is not sure what his budget will be until it is approved. The position could be a specific position that was funded by grant money or created for a certain project or task, and the director is waiting for word that the position will be funded again, or that the position will be transformed from an interim position into a permanent full time position, etc. There is always the possibility that something won't be funded; most organizations won't spend the time and money on the hiring process unless they are pretty sure funds will come though, but nothing is guaranteed.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 12,016 times
Typically how long do budget approvals take for a medium to large company?

Old 10-03-2014, 06:21 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
There is no typically. Honestly keep moving. My current job was a 'we need to get the budget approved'. It was about six months from the initial interview to hire. I kept interviewing, and had several offers on the table. Luckily the budget was approved just in time!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:13 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForKABUM View Post
Typically how long do budget approvals take for a medium to large company?

Budgeting for the next year starts in September. I am not sure when they are finally approved and funded.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:21 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Every company Ive dealt with gets the budget approval BEFORE interviewing. If they really haven't done this yet then you may take this as a sign of how they operate internally.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
It's budget time, so everyone is getting their ducks in a row. They probably have agreement on the addition of head count, but not the final "yes" in terms of budget.

It takes as long as it takes, but it will be done before the end of the year. I would keep searching, and expect them to settle it at random date in the next month or two.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,559 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We are about ready to start submission of the proposed 2015 budget to the Board for approval in the next few weeks, but would not be able to hire for any new positions until the budget year starts January 1, 2015. If you were in the hiring process here you would be waiting 3 months. For that reason, we don't waste our time (and the applicants) by interviewing or even announcing a new position until January. Often that means a lot of positions open the first month or two of the year.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 PM

310 posts, read 685,891 times
Generally speaking I wouldn't hold my breath for positions which require budget approval. That could mean a lot of things, but it means one thing for sure; this position is not funded at the proposed level within the currently allocated budget. Funds can be found in the current budget, or they may not hire the position, or they may defer to next FY, who knows. Keep applying for other jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Budgeting for the next year starts in September. I am not sure when they are finally approved and funded.
Well, it depends on when the fiscal year actually ends. Not all companies end their fiscal year with the calendar year. The federal budget starts in October, many state budgets start in July. Companies are free to choose when their fiscal year starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment