Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 AM

603 posts, read 846,984 times

Advertisements

I currently work in property management. This is my first job in the field and I manage a building of around 25 tenants. As part of my employment, I'm required to live on site in a free apartment. The only problem is that the building is in horrible shape, and the owners have no interest in making upgrades. There is infestation and a bunch of cosmetic problems.

Next week I'll be attending open interviews for the same position with another company in a much better building. I've only been at my current job for 2 months, so if asked during my interview why I want to leave so soon, I was going to bring up the horrible living conditions. Also, my current job is part time with no benefits, while the job I'm going for is full time.

Even though it is the truth, would that excuse of bad living conditions work? The job I'm interviewing for says experience is required, though some may not look at 2 months as enough experience, although I have plans to take a couple classes to further my education in the field. I was going to bring this up during the interview.

I don't consider myself a job hopper, but I'd like to feel comfortable in my living space.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I would certainly tell them the truth. If they are the same company, perhaps your feedback would help in bettering conditions for the residents. Good luck on the interview.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I would go with the part time only with no benefits angle. That to me is always a good reason to find another job. 'Safe' and general.

As far as time, based on my recent experiences, no time is too soon if you really don't like a job for whatever reason. Stuff happens. As long as you can find something before quitting current job, should be OK.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would go with the part time only with no benefits angle. That to me is always a good reason to find another job. 'Safe' and general.

As far as time, based on my recent experiences, no time is too soon if you really don't like a job for whatever reason. Stuff happens. As long as you can find something before quitting current job, should be OK.

I would do the same. Never talk bad about your current or previous employer or working environment. Just say it's part time and no benefits.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:23 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Always tell the truth, even if you think it wouldn't sound good. It shows honesty and character. Not all managers will want to hear the truth, but the good ones and the ones you'd want to work for will.

Try not to speak negatively of your current boss, that doesn't mean you can't tell them of the living conditions.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
You risk the opportunity to be hired if you say anything negative about an employer. Take the advice given by Suburban_Guy.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM

603 posts, read 846,984 times
I actually like my bosses, so I don't have anything negative to say about them. I work for a property management company, and I've never met the owner of the building, though most people like him from what I've been told. I just worried that only having this current job for 2 months isn't enough experience.

The job I'm going for includes managing 70 units, compared to the 25 I do right now, and it has more duties.

So I should definitely leave out the part about the living conditions?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I actually like my bosses, so I don't have anything negative to say about them. I work for a property management company, and I've never met the owner of the building, though most people like him from what I've been told. I just worried that only having this current job for 2 months isn't enough experience.

The job I'm going for includes managing 70 units, compared to the 25 I do right now, and it has more duties.

Yes, omit that because you don't want to bring up any negatives.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:

Isn't that what some of us have been advising?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:

If asked about it, seeing as the interviewer may very well ask, then tell the truth. It shouldn't be something that you bring to light when asked why you want to leave your current employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment