Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times

Advertisements

90 day Temp to Hire job now going on 120 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Just talked to a friend who temp assignment was 180 days. But the picture is its still better to be a temp with money coming in instead of being unemployed especially since u only get six months of uc benefits

Old 09-29-2014, 02:08 PM

128 posts, read 112,945 times
still sending the same email with a check in to the 2 agencies i am registered with. I wonder if i am doing more harm by using the same email each week..........well that way, I have an audit trail.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdredi View Post
still sending the same email with a check in to the 2 agencies i am registered with. I wonder if i am doing more harm by using the same email each week..........well that way, I have an audit trail.
I think by doing that you become a pest to the agency and they will look to place other people. Try sending a email twice a month but make about something other than "do you have any work".

Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 PM

42 posts, read 66,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
The two jobs I had through a temp agency were Fortune 100 companies. Maybe my experience is different because I live near a big city.
Of course it depends on where you are. I wish everyone posting would identify your whereabouts so we could see where you're getting good results. I have had excellent results temping, and was offered a permanent job wherever I did so, which was in NYC, Providence RI and San Jose, CA. However, that was years ago and I'm curious what is happening now.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I'm 67 and work for a Temp agency. I make about $20/hr. I have been working for them for 6 years and no complaints. I haven't been hired on full time by the company that I am placed with - but I'm retired and working 10 or 11 months of the year is plenty. I have two pensions and I am collecting and SS - so this really gives me financial security. Today you cannot count on the market or interest rates and a job keeps me thinking and on my feet (free, paid, exercise).

Anyway; nobody is saying that people should not keep looking. If Temp work is all you can find or the best paying work - do it for the time being. Keep applying to everything and anything that you hear about. Especially, if you are young (under Medicare age), your goal should be to have full benefits. But having the money to pay bills is better than not having the funds.
Can you tell us whether you work in a specific field? Medical? Tech? Legal? $20 is a lot for most temp jobs.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Just talked to a friend who temp assignment was 180 days. But the picture is its still better to be a temp with money coming in instead of being unemployed especially since u only get six months of uc benefits
Agreed. You are also paying into social security when you temp. You can raise what you will collect monthly through SS about $100 for every 10 years of basic entry level income.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBard View Post
Can you tell us whether you work in a specific field? Medical? Tech? Legal? $20 is a lot for most temp jobs.
Pharmaceutical (Lab Tech) - because of the training and years experience and shift differential (nights). The average starting pay is $14 to $15 - which is really not that bad. At least it pays the bills. I just like to have no debt and I think that it is healthier to work. I have had friends, that retired and do/did nothing, some are already dead (the ones that told me I would work myself into the grave).

Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBard View Post
Of course it depends on where you are. I wish everyone posting would identify your whereabouts so we could see where you're getting good results. I have had excellent results temping, and was offered a permanent job wherever I did so, which was in NYC, Providence RI and San Jose, CA. However, that was years ago and I'm curious what is happening now.
It's the complete opposite now. They only want people with experience even for temp jobs. They tell me the company wants it that way, but I think it's just their way of cutting down on applicants. They get paid to put you into their system. They post fake jobs. Basically they are the same as a regular employer. They want the most experienced person they can find with no black marks and pay the cheapest as possible. All the "rejects" are just thrown to the wolves (conservatives) and left to wonder what the problem is.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's the complete opposite now. They only want people with experience even for temp jobs. They tell me the company wants it that way, but I think it's just their way of cutting down on applicants. They get paid to put you into their system. They post fake jobs. Basically they are the same as a regular employer. They want the most experienced person they can find with no black marks and pay the cheapest as possible. All the "rejects" are just thrown to the wolves (conservatives) and left to wonder what the problem is.
No, just the ones that do nothing but whine and complain on the computer all day instead of getting out of the house and asking for some help in order to be better prepared for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment