Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:18 AM

144 posts, read 184,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
OP, consider applying as undeclared (undeclared major) to colleges that offer strong programs in both fields. Then you can take lower level classes in both programs, figure out which one you really want to do, and declare your major by the end of your first year or perhaps your second year. There's no shame in doing that. There's no need to rush to declare a major.

FWIW, a lot of people go in undeclared or change their majors while in college. It's no big deal. Going to college, taking classes, and exposing yourself to new ideas and new fields you never even knew existed can expand your horizons, broaden your opportunities, and help you figure out what you really want to study.
Thanks so much! Great idea and I just may do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Thanks so much! Great idea and I just may do that.

I would say, if you want to do science, or you're considering it, start with science. I was a science major and there are so many prerequisites and requirements that I only had two true electives in my four years.

Its easier to go from a science to a business or liberal arts major than the reverse and graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If you get a degree in Botany it will be welcome to Starbucks!
Only if you're not good at it.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:56 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
Has urban planning/development (or something of that ilk) been suggested yet? That's what immediately came to my mind because it matches three of your interests: art, city living, and business. It may not sound like an artsy field, but having a creative mind is very useful. The business aspect is more of business as it relates to political economy, which might interest you as well.

As far as how lucrative such a degree would be, it depends what you do with it.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Major in science; minor in business.

I have an MBA btw. My undergraduate degree was not in business. For me, this was really ideal. I minored in business...and in my humble opinion, it is a waste unless you want to be and accountant or finance professional, to major in business. Business acumen cannot be taught. The best business professionals learn things quickly and can identify opportunities and take advantage of them. You don't need a bevy of business classes to learn that.

Last edited by MissShona; 09-26-2014 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: expanded response

Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Major in science; minor in business.

I have an MBA btw. My undergraduate degree was not in business. For me, this was really ideal. I minored in business...and in my humble opinion, it is a waste unless you want to be and accountant or finance professional, to major in business. Business acumen cannot be taught. The best business professionals learn things quickly and can identify opportunities and take advantage of them. You don't need a bevy of business classes to learn that.
To reinforce this, at my old university, if you go business you either go, Accounting, Finance or Supply chain management. I have not seen many just plain "Business" majors, I am not sure how good the job market is for Business majors as opposed to Accounting majors and Finance majors.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM

555 posts, read 804,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would say, if you want to do science, or you're considering it, start with science. I was a science major and there are so many prerequisites and requirements that I only had two true electives in my four years.

Its easier to go from a science to a business or liberal arts major than the reverse and graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

Only if you're not good at it.
FWIW I've seen people make the transition both ways. Sure, you might graduate a quarter or two later than most. But it's better to explore while you're in college before locking yourself into some set program. Now is the time to explore.

OP, science and engineering majors have very few electives (breadth requirements/GE requirements) and that's sad, as they aren't able to explore what's out there, subjects they never considered while in high school. If you are undeclared, you can take *more* electives to see what clicks, then select a major based on real experience. Thinking you like a subject and actually studying a subject are two completely different things. And while we're at it, consider volunteering and signing up for internships. Workplace experience provides you a real life view of what actual jobs entail. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I see what you mean, though. It's just that a lot of the tings I want to do involve a lot of money. That of which I don't have and don't want a low-paying job that'll keep me strapped for cash.
Well, my situation isn't really worthy of pity or anything. I just think that you should consider that a high income can create as many problems as it solves because once you have it you'll feel like you must continue to have it.

Obviously, I don't want a low-paying job either or I would have quit my job and taken a lower paying job that I would enjoy. I was recently offered a job as a bench jeweler, but the pay was 1/4 what I make now. I chose to stay where I am instead. I'm not in my job because I have no other options, I'm here because I don't have other options that pay as well.

My goal when I was young was to have a six figure income by the time I was 30. Making a good income was important to me. I achieved that goal. But, now that I've had it for awhile, it's less exciting. Priorities shift over time so what you want now may not be what you want in the future.

If money is your goal, I know you can do it by working in the financial industry. I don't know a ton of people who went into science, but the two I do know both have pHds from very highly regarded schools (Cornell and Harvard) and they don't make even half what I do. But, they went into their fields because it's what they enjoy, whereas I was more about money from the beginning.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
FWIW, I actually got a minor in a program that combined business and engineering students. Through that I took material science engineering, physics, electrical engineering as well as several joint classes that were 50% business students and 50% engineers. So, maybe you should look for a program like that. It was a great experience for me; we even did projects for large companies (Boeing, GM, ADM, Proctor & Gamble) that were presented to senior managers. Maybe something like that will give you a better idea of which way you want to go and what opportunities are out there.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
^^^^ PM this poster and ask where s/he attended school.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
How one pays for college has everything to do with what major to pick, and more importantly whether one should go to college in the first place. It's not actual rocket surgery, finances matter, sadly most people are completely oblivious to the financial implications.
Sure it's important in general, but OP expressed 0 concern regarding college finances. If he/she has to choose between 2 majors, he/she probably already has a financial plan in place. It's none of our business anyway unless they ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment