Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I've really had any awful jobs. Pharm tech is pretty boring, did that through college. Not bad, just very uninteresting work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I had one job of stripping boxcars of hundred pound bags of chemicals on the floor. Two of us would strip three boxcars each day. Each boxcar had 80,000 pounds. So I physically lifted 120,000 pounds off the floor of the three cars or half of the 240,000 pounds we moved every day. Temperatures in box cars, even in the Northeast in the summer, can easily go way over 100 degrees. But I liked that job and I never had to worry about gaining weight. That was in the late 1960's before they finally came out with slip pallets.

The worst job I ever had was watching equipment run and taking readings every fifteen minutes. Especially, on night shift, this is boring! Then combine that with being responsible for millions of dollars worth of product - nothing worse than boring/responsible jobs! I would take back breaking work any day of the week!

Old 10-01-2014, 08:00 PM

88 posts, read 159,284 times
I have a tie between two jobs I worked while in college - one was temping at a country club as a hostess/server/bartender. My schedule was very flexible, where I could pick up shifts as I wanted, instead of having to work a fixed schedule every week. I would work between 12-16 hours each day on Fri-Sun, and be free the rest of the week for classes. The work wasn't bad, but very emotionally draining. One, it felt really uncomfortable to be in a serving role when you and all of your coworkers are of the same ethnic minority and all of your customers just happen to be of the "opposite" group...I didn't grow up in that kind of environment, so it was very unsettling for me. Members of my family belong to diverse clubs, not like the one I worked at then. Then, my male coworkers were very - amorous - so every day was a fight in that regard as well. They didn't bother the other girls (or at least, not nearly as much by a long shot) like they did me. And then...that one time I had to work after breaking up with my ex-fiance. Work a wedding, in fact. I was the bartender...and that I rank as one the most painful emotional experiences in my life, behind the night my mother died an untimely death, and the actual breakup itself. I did my duties and then cried in the corner (even if our jobs were done, we had to wait until after the other staff finished their tasks, since we were all employed by the same agency and had to leave at the same time) until time to sign out and leave. It shouldn't have made me that emotional...but for some reason it did.

Anyway, there was that, and then the time I worked the overnight shift as a waitress at Waffle House. 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., and then I had classes in the morning from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. That was rough, because studying afterward meant I finished my day around 5 p.m., then slept for a few hours until time to go in. And the restaurant was so unsanitary - so many roaches, they rained out of the sink and came through the vents. They scared off business - I remember putting down silverware for two ladies who walked in, and was about to take their order when two very large roaches decided to march themselves out from behind the counter and investigate the silverware. I just looked at them. I couldn't say anything. Needless to say, I couldn't make money if people couldn't eat. The final straw came when I woke up one morning in front of my apartment and couldn't remember how I got there. Fortunately, I graduated two months after that and had a fulltime job waiting on me, in my field. (Though, that was a whole other can of beans, but anyway it was still better than the roach restaurant....)

Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I think the two jobs in my life I have disliked the most were my very first job - which was working at McDonald's while I was in high school.

They put me on the Saturday morning breakfast shift, which was the busiest of the entire week, and I had to be there at 6am. I hated the horrible brown polyester uniform. And I hated the assistant manager, who actually said "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean."

Then after college, I worked weekends at a group home for mentally ill adults. Basically all I had to do was give them their meds every three hours, which wasn't a big deal, but the job was just really boring.

The folks there did teach me how to play Canasta, though, and we would spend most of my shift each day playing, so that part was ok.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
during the mid 90s, I had been laid off from work. I ended up taking a job that the unemployment office sent me to, at a Motel 6, doing the hotel's laundry....by myself.

This particular property, still used old fashioned washing machines that were basically just wash tubs, that we had to reach into when the cycle was over, and stick them in a ringer machine. My hands were so dry and cracked from this, that they were bleeding. I lasted there about a month, until my old job called me back to work. Horrible

Old 10-01-2014, 10:47 PM

231 posts, read 390,822 times
Working as legal assistant for a criminal defense attorney. I have NO background in law, and never should have been hired, which I kept telling them. He said the clients liked me (yuck) and I can type fast and answer phones. I quit when the firm decided to represent a doctor accused of multiple acts of child abuse....there was no sum of money that could make me feel clean at the end of the day.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Did a landscaping job while in school for the school. Terrible moronic "supervisors", illegal below minimum wage pay, back breaking work, hot days 90+. Just all around terrible. Will never ever do landscapibg again.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Call center

Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Washing dishes was hands down the worst job I ever had. Working lousy hours in a hot kitchen with your hands constantly in either freezing cold or scalding hot water.

Funny... I never minded it, then again it was a high school job so for me it just felt like easy money. Didn't have to deal with the general public, and it was sort of a "work out" for me. We had a great kitchen and wait staff so that helped.. nothing worse then working in a kitchen with lousy people and chef's who scream or are always angry.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Also call center, outbound to be exact- nightmarish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment