Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM

310 posts, read 686,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
That's pretty ****ed up. Hope you end up unemployed and discriminated against.
What's with the outrage?
I don't see any reason to apologize for not wanting to hire someone who had no ethical qualms over pushing tobacco. Feel free to not hire me over that. This is America and I feel strongly that just as employers can fire anyone for any reason they should be able to not hire someone for any reason, including past employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 12:04 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
What's with the outrage?
I don't see any reason to apologize for not wanting to hire someone who had no ethical qualms over pushing tobacco. Feel free to not hire me over that. This is America and I feel strongly that just as employers can fire anyone for any reason they should be able to not hire someone for any reason, including past employment.
Because you never know the whole story when you judge based on your own bigotry and prejudice.

Perhaps they had to choose between homelessness and that job?

The fact that you'd be so quick to judge and potentially impact someone's livelihood speaks volumes about you as a person - hence, the outrage. I hope you end up on the other side of the coin some day and the one person who could provide an opportunity repays your hate, tossing your résumé in the trash as you get closer to homeless.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Agreed just put you were self employed

Old 10-05-2014, 02:27 PM

35 posts, read 54,790 times
Quote:
What's with the outrage?

I'm pretty sure if you were in need of a job and got offered $50+K with a company car, company cell phone, home internet paid for, 401K, benefits, etc etc you'd also have "no ethical qualms over pushing tobacco". Fact of the matter is tobacco is a legal product and I do not see anything immoral about pushing it. I don't smoke myself because I'm into fitness and being healthy, but I'm all for personal responsibility. Who am I to tell someone what they can and can't do to their own body?

RarelyRelocating, what if I worked for an alcohol company? Would you hire me then?

Or what if I worked for Nike, or any other shoe company, that outsources their manufacturing to 3rd world countries where there are no child labor laws? Would you hire me then?

You could find some ethical qualm in any industry.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,357,536 times
I would put "self-employed" on the resume as well. I don't see this as a negative. In fact, when asked why you want to return to the workforce, you don't even have to say that you took a big hit financially; you can say something like "while I enjoy the work and I have done well with it, I'd like to return to a more structured work environment" or something like that.

Relax. Also, don't worry about your employment with a tobacco company. It'll be fine.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
The fact that you'd be so quick to judge and potentially impact someone's livelihood speaks volumes about you as a person - hence, the outrage. I hope you end up on the other side of the coin some day and the one person who could provide an opportunity repays your hate, tossing your résumé in the trash as you get closer to homeless.
An employer, hires the person that will best fit in with their current employees and would best be able to handle the job. Just because they dislike tobacco and the people that push it, is not the reason the applicant is rejected. They are rejected, because the employer found someone else that was better qualified and fit in better with current employers.

The other persons previous work experience was closer to working for the employer, and their experience was more in line with the job than the person that had been selling tobacco. However if you were a tobacco company, you would be giving special consideration to the fact that the applicant had been pushing tobacco for a few years.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:57 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Please don't lie on your resume. Its unethical & your employer will have more expectations from you if you show more work experience. Any training or mentors they might be willing to invest in to bring you up to speed will not be provided if they believe the fake experience. You will be completely on your own to figure out the work. Nothing wrong in stating self-employed. Its not just about finding a job but also performing it well & not getting fired. Try an entry level job to get started & catch up. There are people on this board who are in their 50s & they have gone back to work as interns just to get trained in a new line of work.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:58 PM

251 posts, read 341,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJockey View Post
So here's my situation...my last job I was a territory manager for a major tobacco company. I worked there from 2007 until 2010 when I laid off due to a restructuring. At the time I was trading stocks and doing well with it. Well enough that at some points I was making more money than when I had a job. So I just kept at it and didn't pursue another job.

Well, I took a huge hit on my stocks and lost A LOT of money! So now I am in need of a job. What the heck do I do?? I can't just turn in a resume that shows my last job was in 2010, employers would look down on that.

I thought about just making up a job that I worked at the last 4 years, and say it was overseas in another country. How would they verify employment then? They wouldn't call a company in another country to check, would they?
best to be honest, just say you were an independent financial trader and that your track record is available on request. It was your job, that's it.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,331 times
Here is a good discussion about your topic on self-employment and resume.

http://www.indeed.com/forum/gen/Resu...loyment/t48412

Old 10-05-2014, 03:05 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
Quote:
FWIW, the daytrader isn't the issue, pushing smokes is.
Not in a million years would I let get a resume from a tobacco pusher get past the shredder at our organization.

What happened trading? Got squeezed on a short and had to cover into a huge loss?
That is mean-spirited. In that economy, when the bottom had dropped out, people could not be choosy about which F500 corporation they would work for. It's not like any of them were in hiring mode in the years leading up to the crash. And the real crash happened a lot earlier, depending on your part of the country. CT, for example, never recovered from the 2000 recession - went into the 2008 crash still limping from the previous one.

Not to mention - ideology has no place in business. Keep your beliefs to yourself.

Your comment reveals you as either a teenager, or a government employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment