Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You were self employed. Big deal. They are going to be much more "turned away" when they can't verify your false claim, or if they let the confirmation slide and later find out you were deceptive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
Totally agree with using daytrader as recent employment. If you are still struggling to find a job, why not consider volunteer work or if you're young enough, internships? That way people can personally see your work ethic and consider hiring you. That's what happened to me. In any case best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancebr View Post
I have to agree with the part about making something else up.

...snipped...
Finally, he hired a hiring/resume coach who basicly told him that putting self-employed on a resume was seen as a black mark by many HR people because they thought it meant the person would be too independent thinking for a company and would not be easily molded to a company's work views and would possibly leave the company if they decided one day to start another self-employed business. He also said that HR people did not like the fact that it was harder to verify a self-employed person's past work since there would be no HR person for them to call. The hiring coach told my friend that instead of putting on his resume that he was self-employed he should put it as regular employment and list himself as a manager of the business instead of the owner. He also gave him tips about how to get someone to verify his employment so it would appear to be a regular employment job instead of self-employment.
I have heard this kind of thing but I don't know the truth of it and I am an old HR manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Surprised they would hire non-smokers.
Apply to a firearms company. Gun sales are up!
I have a female client who worked for PM for several years on a cigarette route. She finally left because she strongly believed cigs were bad, she didn't smoke and the sales quota's were really high. For that matter, I know bartenders and cocktail waitresses that don't drink.

Quote:
...Ted Bear...."Investor, 2010-2014. Assembled and managed a diverse portfolio of financial investments".

I would stand proud and sure of my accomplishments, even if in the end it did not produce sufficient income for the risk you were willing to take.

You don't have to used the 'slang' day trader.
Excellent advice.

All good quotes with several things to think about. Also, you could show your tax returns that would only have investments, not wages, to prove your story. If it took you four years to wash out financially, so be it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJockey View Post
I know "It's about you, and how well you sell yourself"....but I need to get the interview first to sell myself! I'm great at interviewing, but I feel like an employer might be turned away by someone that daytraded for 4 years versus actually worked a job.
If you want to lie. Lie about losing all your money at day trading....say something like health insurance is expensive or the like.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
It's hard to argue about health insurance with obamacare. There is nothing wrong with saying you day traded, plenty of people make money on investments. Heck I know companies that make millions to pretty much do nothing. For example one was to make and operate a water filtration system. It did but the city ended up not using it. But the contract says they have to pay regardless of usage. As a result there's some people there but frankly not much to do outside of basic maintenance.

Before there was modern technology and electronics there were plenty hired to simply watch a needle on a meter. Couldn't even go to a bathroom or fall asleep..yet that is work experience.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Absolutely. It takes a lot of skill to be successful at this for 4 years. List the skills and applications learned in this position.
^^ This... find a correlation between what you did as a day trader and how those skills tie into your next job.

For example, someone wanted to get a government job. She managed a retail store or something. She put down her accounting and inventory experience for a gov't job looking for people who can manage money and deal with financial tools.

Agree with only the 1st page that I've read thus far... people have gotten interviews for a lot less credentials, while those with impeccable ones have gotten declined... by some of those in the former no less. Will the job searching process suck? It does for most of us. Have a financial and emotional support network in place. Here at C-D where people complain and rant a lot, I've observed we can be pretty good at that , but do look into in-person ones too. If not family and friends, check out local employment centers. If you haven't looked for work, get the skinny on what's new in job searching, get your resume critiqued, etc. The ones I went to only helped a mildly, but still, it should point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJockey View Post
So here's my situation...my last job I was a territory manager for a major tobacco company. I worked there from 2007 until 2010 when I laid off due to a restructuring. At the time I was trading stocks and doing well with it. Well enough that at some points I was making more money than when I had a job. So I just kept at it and didn't pursue another job.

Well, I took a huge hit on my stocks and lost A LOT of money! So now I am in need of a job. What the heck do I do?? I can't just turn in a resume that shows my last job was in 2010, employers would look down on that.

I thought about just making up a job that I worked at the last 4 years, and say it was overseas in another country. How would they verify employment then? They wouldn't call a company in another country to check, would they?
Honestly, it's no ones business what you have been doing since 2010. Put down you were working as a private investor and list the industries you were are most knowledgeable about. This isn't lying. If you invested $100K in a company that is a pizza chain franchise then you would be a private investor in the retail food chain industry. If you put $100K in a web design firm start-up, then you would be a web entrepreneur. So I don't see what's the big difference between you buying $100K of stocks in a company that sells telecommunications equipment because that makes you part owner (a share holder) and turning around and selling it the same day or the next day to become a share holder in another corporation.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 AM

271 posts, read 426,802 times
Honestly if I see on a resume someone worked for Greenpeace I'd have an impression of what that person was like. If I see on a resume someone worked for a tobacco company, I'd automatically get a negative impression. Wrong or right, people do make judgements based on what type of companies you worked at.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 AM

271 posts, read 426,802 times
And the fact that you're even thinking about lying on your resume kinda confirms that impression.

And no one, even the original poster, has a right to tell someone not to post on a thread. Sheesh.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 AM

698 posts, read 797,710 times
What kind of a job are you seeking, if you have a specific type?

That may help me decide which way you should go

Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
Honestly if I see on a resume someone worked for Greenpeace I'd have an impression of what that person was like. If I see on a resume someone worked for a tobacco company, I'd automatically get a negative impression. Wrong or right, people do make judgements based on what type of companies you worked at.
That doesn't matter really, you can't control what other people think. Hey, maybe a guy in Greenpeace use rudely park in my space at the apartment complex all the time and I just don't like anyone from Greenpeace. I might have a great grand father who was a tobacco farmer and I have fond thoughts for those that worked in the tobacco industry even though I don't smoke.

I know a guy who worked in IT for the tobacco company for a very long time, and left that job and got a job at working in IT at a hospital. So apparently having tobacco company on his resume didn't stop him from working in another place which was involved with communications for patient care.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
And the fact that you're even thinking about lying on your resume kinda confirms that impression.

And no one, even the original poster, has a right to tell someone not to post on a thread. Sheesh.
Someone said not to post on a thread? I guess I missed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment