Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

I find it very hard to believe that there's a $30k spread between OP and his coworker if their skills/experience are similar.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
It can be done, but be careful with your language. Tell your boss that you would like to discuss compensation, have a known figure, and then examples and reasons why you believe you deserve that salary. I am in a similar situation, only been on this job for 3 months and have already saved the company several times (found lost data that was missing for a week - might have lost a client due to this, reported service quality issues that coworkers were having issues with for 2 years, willing to work long hours when no one else is, learning systems faster than employees that have been at the job 3 years as long, receiving praise from coworkers). Whatever you do, do not talk negative about others, do not state other peoples salaries, and do not give your boss an ultimatum. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Sorry to chime in again but the only way the OP has a shot at not looking like a fool is if he/she is in an income generating position for the organization - and not indirect income. If he/she is a salesperson or consultant for example and is bringing in tons of clients who are spending tons more $ on the organizations products/services, then maybe.

Basically, if the OP has hard #'s that show he/she brought in 500k more in revenue (and that trend is expected to continue) that he/she is primarily responsible for, then he/she can ask for a large raise.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
the answer to this question depends on one thing and one thing only...what alternatives do you have?

if you have no alternatives, then don't rock the boat. at your 1 year review, feel free to bring it up but they will likely laugh at you if you say that you want a 54% raise. i would stick with a more modest $10k raise (yeah, that's crazy too but if you really are severely underpaid...) or something like that.

in the meantime, find alternatives. this means that you should reach out to amazon and microsoft (in that order) and see if they will give you an interview (and better yet, an offer).

your value is not what glassdoor says or what your co-worker says...it's what your alternatives say.

RVD.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The whole thing is, what are you bringing to the table, when asking for a raise. You say you are in marketing. this can be anything from advertising to sales. What are you doing for the company?

The Big Question: What have you done, that has increased the sales for the company, and how much have you increased the companies profit. If you have not really been responsible for a substantial increase, you have not so far deserved a raise. Just because you want to improve your life style, as just working there is not justification for a big raise.

If you want a substantial raise, you need to show the company why you deserve a big raise, not just the fact that some company has said people in your position should be earning $85,000 per year. They are just telling you a so called typical wage, where some make more and some make less. What your company will consider, is what value are you to the company. If you are not increasing their bottom line due to increased business when you are in marketing in any form, you have not earned a raise.

I know as I was a salesman all my working life. I got tired of transfers in the corporate world in 1970, and walked away. I spent one year back in the furniture business where I first started, and worked a year taking classes on real estate at a major university, and then went into commercial/investment real estate brokerage for the rest of my working life. That year I went to work for a family that had been in the furniture business in that town for 40 years, and had added the store I worked in 22 years previously. I took over advertising, a lot of the buying, and sold furniture. Due to changes I made, we doubled the highest volume year they ever had. I was well compensated for my work that year. I would not have dreamed it possible to do such a thing the day I went to work. A major change in the advertising, and making changes in our buying, we were able to double the volume. I was asked to take over the store as the manager as the owner wanted to retire, and offered big money to do it. I was offered big money as I had proven I was worth it. I turned it down as I had other plans, and he sold the store. The new owners was an investment group, that bought it and brought in another manager who took it back to operating like it had in the past and different ads. They ended up selling the store at a huge loss, as they could not keep up the type of sales we had done while I was there.

In any form of marketing which you say you are in, if you want a raise then you need to produce results. This is what you take to the bosses. Just saying you are meeting expectations and maybe just holding even, is not grounds for a huge raise. You have to show them results that make a raise something they will want to give you. You will only get a huge raise like you want, if you can show them results. Marketing and sales, is the one position with a company where you can document your worth to the company. If you push them hard for a big raise, just remember you are training your replacement.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
No matter how good you are, you cannot ask for a raise after 3 months. And if you ask for a 54%(!) raise, everyone will just assume you are nuts, and you will be put into the PIA category.

After 3 months, you would have to bring something so outstanding to the table, that they would be falling all over themselves to keep you, e.g., make the company a million dollars, or something to that effect.

You have to wait until your first performance evaluation, assuming it is good, to bring up the subject of a raise. Even at that point, it is highly unlikely that they will even consider a 54% raise, much less agree to it. Their offer is more likely to be ~10%, which would be quite a respectable raise after just one year.

It's not your company's concern if you want a bigger apartment, and therefore, want a bigger salary--or if you want to make the same salary as your colleagues. You AGREED to your current salary.

As others have stated, you have two options: 1) wait for your first-year anniversary on this job, and then broach the topic, or 2) find another job that will pay you more.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
one more thing...they might love you because you do a good job for the money. i.e., you're doing a great job for a guy who is paid $55k. at $85k, they might all of a sudden think you're good but not that good...

i once owned a company that ran a call center. i hired hourly call center managers for $12/hr and hourly call center reps for $9/hr. The reps manned the phones and the managers managed the reps (set schedules, took calls too, etc.). it was common for someone to come in who qualified for the manager job and wanted it. i would always explain the extra duties, extra scrutiny, the fact that most managers don't last beyond 2 weeks here, etc. and if they take the rep job, it's much easier with less scrutiny, etc. 9 out of 10 times when offered both jobs, the candidate takes the manager job. and 9 out of 10 times, the manager fails and is out of a job 2 weeks later. and 10 out of 10 times the failed manager asks if he/she can now do the rep job for $9/hr. and 10 out of 10 times the answer is no.

know where you're at, be careful what you wish for, and sometimes you're good but not that good...

Old 10-06-2014, 04:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
With that attitude and those employee management practices I can see why you "once owned" the business...

Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Follow Chicago's advise.

If, after following Chicago's advise you don't receive a significant raise start looking around (building a network) but don't apply until you have been there one year.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
Read the posts by G-fused again. IMHO, he is absolutely correct.

I think, sometimes, compliments and accolades by those in management can be misunderstood.

What manager is saying: We have a great new hire here, lots of potential. Perhaps he'll stick around and become promotable in the future.

What employee hears: I am awesome. I am the best person they ever hired for this job. Show me the money!

In any case, asking for a raise of any sort after 3 months is nutso. I really hope the OP didn't do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment