Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:35 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times

Advertisements

OK so currently I am a Senior Accountant, working in the healthcare field, been in this particular field for 6 years (10 years experience overall in accounting). A recruiter saw my resume and started raving about this job that I was the "perfect fit" for...I had told him that I really liked the analysis part of my job (explaining variances to budget, prior month, ytd etc) and didnt care as much for the more day to day stuff (reconciliations, recurring journal entries, etc). He told me that he had the perfect job for me that fit me to a T. Afte reading the job description I could see that this recruiter couldnt tell the difference between a Financial Analyst and an Accountant. The job involves a lot of the variance analysis (which I love and have been doing for years), budgeting/forecasting (been doing for years), discussing financial performance with senior management (been doing for years).

The one thing that was in the job requirement that I have ZERO experience with is financial modeling. I've heard some say "just go for the job and you can learn that when you get there"...and I hear others say "that's a BIG part of the job, if you cant do that you will be let go"...What do y'all think? Is it worth it for me to even bother applying? I would absolutely HATE to leave a decent job in search of a better job only for it to blow up in my face. It would be great if they would train me on that part of the job but for what it's paying (pretty nice salary, more than what I currently make) and experience required (at least 5 years) I imagine they want someone who can come in and hit the ground running. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
It's very common.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Back when I was promoted to a management analyst I was asked to do financial modeling for a proposed new office building, to help the real estate department. It was not a big deal to learn as I went. You might want to get some tutoring and practice before applying though, it's likely to come up in the interviews.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:58 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It's very common.
is it? we had a financial analyst at my last job I was cool with, and out of curiosity I would ask to see what she did...MASSIVE financial models with loads of tabs with lots of excel formulae pulling numbers in this tab and out of that tab...pretty complex stuff. I dont think this is something you could casually look over on the weekend. It would require a sit down with someone to train you on. I remember when that same analyst turned over the ROI modelling to the accounting managers...they were crying about how hard it was! This is the only reason I hesitate. I dont know where I would go to find training on that sort of thing as we accountants dont really mess with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment