Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:34 AM

62 posts, read 121,087 times

Advertisements

I have 15 days of vacation a year, and even taking a week off is a nightmare of scheduling conflicts and begging coworkers to cover for me to the point that I'm dissuaded from doing more than occasionally taking a Friday off to make it a three day weekend. I went from school to college to grad school to full-time 50 hours a week employment without any break, and now I'm pushing 30 and very much feel the itch of an unlived life.

I see stories occasionally how people dropping everything and making a motorcycle trip to Alaska or whatever. That sounds awesome, but I feel like people rarely talk about the practical considerations. How much did you save up in advance? How long were you gone? How long did it take you to get back to where you were in your career when you returned? How did you explain your resume gap to employers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 PM

46 posts, read 59,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
I have 15 days of vacation a year, and even taking a week off is a nightmare of scheduling conflicts and begging coworkers to cover for me to the point that I'm dissuaded from doing more than occasionally taking a Friday off to make it a three day weekend. I went from school to college to grad school to full-time 50 hours a week employment without any break, and now I'm pushing 30 and very much feel the itch of an unlived life.

I see stories occasionally how people dropping everything and making a motorcycle trip to Alaska or whatever. That sounds awesome, but I feel like people rarely talk about the practical considerations. How much did you save up in advance? How long were you gone? How long did it take you to get back to where you were in your career when you returned? How did you explain your resume gap to employers?
I too would like to know

Old 10-20-2014, 05:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
The answer to all of those questions depend on personal circumstance. You need to look at some blogs of people who travel most of the year. Contact them and ask the questions.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
I've never done so, but I know many teachers and professors that did. According to them it is well worth it, last one I met was on the Appalachian Trail. At first the guy probably hated me because I told him to get out of the watering hole (he was bathing naked in it, it was meant for drinking). I walked about 8 miles with the guy and just chatted, he was happy that I had cell phone reception at the time, so I let him use my phone. Older guy that was an empty nester, seemed very happy about his adventure, life changing in his words.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM

282 posts, read 444,490 times
I did it. Was burned out from a high-pressure job I'd been in for 10 years, so I quit and drove across country. Found a new job along the way, where I've been for the past 15 years. I wasn't looking for one--it found me. And I've loved it most of the time!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:09 PM

46 posts, read 59,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
I did it. Was burned out from a high-pressure job I'd been in for 10 years, so I quit and drove across country. Found a new job along the way, where I've been for the past 15 years. I wasn't looking for one--it found me. And I've loved it most of the time!

can you elaborate on your journey a little more? seems too good to be true hah

Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 AM

35 posts, read 54,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post

what was the old high-pressure job and what's your current job that found you?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,742 times
I know someone who quit a high-pressure job at a well-know company with an intent to stay home and use the time to trade on the market, after about 9 months, the person went back to the same job, but don't be dissuaded by this example-the person had a family to support and the money that we was planning to trade with was his kids college fund. I say, if you are single, have no other people to support but yourself and have a year of savings in a bank, go for it, and in terms of getting back to the working world, I would honestly say exactly what you said in your post-you have been working your arse off and wanted a change of pace for a while, now that you had it, you are ready to go back in the saddle, or who knows, you might discover some talent along your journey and decide to make a career out of it, sounds like you are in need of a change.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM

587 posts, read 916,110 times
I've done this a couple of times. It's great. It can be a tough thing to do if you have always been responsible, employed, and future time oriented, but once you do it the first time, it's a lot easier to do it again.

I was in a job that paid pretty well. I saved up about 3 years worth of living expenses and spent two months in a foreign country. A year later, I got a job that I kept for a little under a year and quit my job again for another extended trip. I had some stock market gambling pay off big time and I've been able to avoid working for several years now (but am close to needing a job or income at this point).

I work in a field that has a shortage of qualified job candidates in my area, so I am okay having a resume with gaps. Having an interesting story can help you land a job, in my experience.

I have no kids, but I do have a mortgage.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:26 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
What you're describing is a long vacation, and not a quitting your job type sabbatical. If you can't take more than a week off with sufficient notice (probably at least a month - maybe two depending on job), other people need to be better trained/more efficient with your tasks, or the company needs to hire additional personnel.

If you want to take six months off, that's something to discuss with the employer (although given what you said, it sounds like it would be prohibited). I've only known one person to admit quitting his regular job and going traveling, and he had a hell of a time finding work, and this was recently. I would be very careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment