Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM

20 posts, read 152,972 times

Advertisements

It's decided, I'm quitting --- the pace, organization and how responsibilities are managed couldn't possibly be a worst fit for me. My employer does like me and my work, I even got a small promotion within a couple of months from being hired... but overwhelming stress turned into a significant health scare and so I recognize that being healthy and happy is far more important. I don't have another job lined up, but have my husband's support and encouragement.

There's a difference between quitting because of another job opportunity, and leaving because sucking it up and pushing through "until something better comes along" is no longer acceptable. I want to avoid burning bridges, and would like to present my resignation in a courteous, professional way (I'm giving a month's notice). After all, this is a long term win-win, because it's in their best interest to invest time, training and salary, in someone who enjoys the work there and plans on staying for the long haul.

Any suggestions about how I should approach my manager or how the conversation should go? Thanks!

p.s.: I am well aware that regardless of how professional and poised I may behave, they may just be furious and bitter and ask me to leave on the spot. My current workplace is severely understaffed and every single person is under a ridiculous amount of stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 06:08 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,941 times
Schedule a meeting with your boss and simply tell them verbally that "I have some news to share regarding my employment here. As of such and such date, I will be resigning to explore new opportunities." You then email them your official resignation letter so that they have it in writing.

You don't owe them an explanation.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,761,774 times
Have you tried to hash out the problems? You state that there are management problems and that it has caused you stress and to be unhealthy, did you bring these issues up to your boss? IF you haven't, you haven't really tried then. Give them a chance to correct it, if it isn't corrected or you just simply can't work in that environment, leave. While you are giving them the moment to change or correct the issue(s) you will want to start applying for new jobs.

When it's time to leave, then email your boss and cc HR. It needs to be in writing. You can have a follow-up meeting with your boss over the matter. If you are positive when you leave they will be positive in a review of your work. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,857,733 times
Go into your boss's office and tell him you quit. Just don't crap on his desk or do anything too rash if you want a positive reference.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,065,372 times
OP, your situation sounds exactly like mine, sans the promotion. The company is no longer a match for you and causing unnecessary stress. It's kind for you to give a month's notice, but I personally think that 2 weeks is perfectly fine.

You owe them no War & Peace explanation, just present a professional resignation letter, and good luck.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,166,340 times
Interesting, I have never emailed my resignation letter except when my supervisors/HR were located in other cities. I always would either pop in on my boss or schedule a meeting, share the news, and provide a printed resignation letter. I agree that two weeks' notice is acceptable. Since you are prepared to leave on the spot, hopefully that means you've gotten your house in order at work (cleaned up computer, files, etc) before the resignation. I understand the need to provide an explanation but just offer as little as possible and thank them for the opportunity. Congratulations and good luck.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Interesting, I have never emailed my resignation letter except when my supervisors/HR were located in other cities. I always would either pop in on my boss or schedule a meeting, share the news, and prevent a printed resignation letter. I agree that two weeks' notice is acceptable. Since you are prepared to leave on the spot, hopefully that means you've gotten your house in order at work (cleaned up computer, files, etc) before the resignation. I understand the need to provide an explanation but just offer as little as possible and thank them for the opportunity. Congratulations and good luck.
Given how litigious our society is, it's always good to make sure everything's in writing when it comes to ending or starting business relationships. It's certainly not required, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if push did come to shove.

If it were a work email I sent the written resignation letter from, I would even CC my personal email as well through an alias address.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,386,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymla77 View Post
It's decided, I'm quitting --- the pace, organization and how responsibilities are managed couldn't possibly be a worst fit for me. My employer does like me and my work, I even got a small promotion within a couple of months from being hired... but overwhelming stress turned into a significant health scare and so I recognize that being healthy and happy is far more important. I don't have another job lined up, but have my husband's support and encouragement.

There's a difference between quitting because of another job opportunity, and leaving because sucking it up and pushing through "until something better comes along" is no longer acceptable. I want to avoid burning bridges, and would like to present my resignation in a courteous, professional way (I'm giving a month's notice). After all, this is a long term win-win, because it's in their best interest to invest time, training and salary, in someone who enjoys the work there and plans on staying for the long haul.

Any suggestions about how I should approach my manager or how the conversation should go? Thanks!

p.s.: I am well aware that regardless of how professional and poised I may behave, they may just be furious and bitter and ask me to leave on the spot. My current workplace is severely understaffed and every single person is under a ridiculous amount of stress.

Put your two weeks notice in writing. You are not obligated to explain why you are leaving.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,352,874 times
Just in case, I would grab anything that's important to you before you tell them. It may not sound right, but I've heard of people getting walked out of jobs the second they say they quit!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 AM

701 posts, read 1,099,313 times
If you want to part on really good terms, offer to interview and hire your replacement. I did this once. It really ensures that you part on good terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment