Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times

Advertisements

Remove the word "quit" from your vocabulary. If you tell someone you quit, that makes you a quitter and who wants a quitter around them, for any reason?

"Resign" is a much better word to use. You've obviously resigned yourself to moving on so that word describes what you would be doing.

Schedule a meeting with your direct supervisor, beit your manager or other but make sure it is the person who writes your performance reports.

Express your gratitude for the opportunities you've had with the company but that you are resigning your position effective _________. If you are generous, you could offer an extended date subject to their finding a replacement and helping acclimate the new person to the job. Its just an offer but cements a good standing when you leave.

You make the meeting short and courteous. Don't linger or questions start getting asked. Do not stay if some thing is promised because most people who want to resign and then stay, end up resigning within a short period of time and then you do burn a bridge.

Staying at a job you are unhappy or dissatisfied with only delays things and it will show no matter how you try to put the smile on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Just in case, I would grab anything that's important to you before you tell them. It may not sound right, but I've heard of people getting walked out of jobs the second they say they quit!
Really? They didn't accept the person's two weeks+ notice? Wow, that's cold.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
One of my friends and myself personally have both been walked out (different places).

Old 10-14-2014, 09:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
I almost quit once, but first I explained how much I disliked my job, the stress it was causing me, and that I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't say I would quit, but I was clear that I was extremely unhappy. That got the phones working and they figured out a plan, which took three months to fully complete, as I was leading two projects. I got a new boss, doing different work. I guess they liked me enough to fix the situation. You could try that to start, unless you just want to quit, then just say you are leaving, but no need to linger over reasons.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Remove the word "quit" from your vocabulary. If you tell someone you quit, that makes you a quitter and who wants a quitter around them, for any reason?

"Resign" is a much better word to use. You've obviously resigned yourself to moving on so that word describes what you would be doing.

Schedule a meeting with your direct supervisor, beit your manager or other but make sure it is the person who writes your performance reports.

Express your gratitude for the opportunities you've had with the company but that you are resigning your position effective _________. If you are generous, you could offer an extended date subject to their finding a replacement and helping acclimate the new person to the job. Its just an offer but cements a good standing when you leave.

You make the meeting short and courteous. Don't linger or questions start getting asked. Do not stay if some thing is promised because most people who want to resign and then stay, end up resigning within a short period of time and then you do burn a bridge.

Staying at a job you are unhappy or dissatisfied with only delays things and it will show no matter how you try to put the smile on.

Why use a politically correct "pretty" word when the end result is the same?
Pointless to do so because the employment is ending either way.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:07 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Good, someone else who knows of what they speak. The Playbook:

Call a meeting with the manager, soonest. Schedule half hour. In fact you'll only need two minutes. Or, just do a drive-by, depending on how hard it is to find that person at whatever time of day is convenient.

Read from the following script, minor-mods as-needed:

"Good day, Ms. Manager! Hope you are well today!

I've determined that my employment with XYZ company shall terminate no later than end of day, (Month)(Day), one month from today. As a follow up to this conversation, I'll send an email stating same (or printed, if they're into that). I appreciate the opportunity with XYZ since (month), but it's time to move on."

Stand up.

Shake their hand.

"Please inform me of HR procedures, equipment/key returns (whatever), and etc. as my end date approaches. I'll draft up a transition plan, to move (deliverables 1, 2, and 3) to Sally Sue later today, for your approval, if that's how we should handle it."

"Talk to you later, thanks!"

Walk out. You own this conversation, not them.

No further discussion needed. About anything not work-related. I wouldn't answer any questions. They many counter-offer you; company tried to do that to me once, but I was out of there hell or high water. In your case, unemployment is looking pretty sweet so "does not apply."

Hope that helps. It's the inverse of a termination conversation that a manager has with an employee.

Small chance they may terminate you EOD and pay you a couple weeks severance or similar, just to get you off the books. Some companies do that, I've seen it. Nothing personal, if so. It is perfectly "right", in contrast to another person's comments, if better for the company that you be gone vs. transition.

I've resigned a couple roles in my career like the above, twice that I can recall. It's never any trouble. Closest came when the manager rolled his eyes, silently beseeching the gods: "Oh great: another resignation, more malarkey paperwork I have to deal with, backfilling his work, etc.!" He recovered almost instantly, but I never forgot it. Long time ago.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Given how litigious our society is, it's always good to make sure everything's in writing when it comes to ending or starting business relationships. It's certainly not required, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if push did come to shove.
As stated in my post you quoted, I have always provided written notice. The only difference is I hand-delivered it rather than emailing it. I have resigned from more than 10 jobs this way and it's never been an issue.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
It's pretty standard in a sales job, for example. That's why I said in my post upthread that the OP needs to have her house in order at work before delivering her resignation.

I once agreed to work a little longer than 2 weeks in a job that I was leaving. My boss was going to be on vacation for the 2nd week of my 2 weeks' notice, so I said I'd stick around until after he returned in order to ease the transition. Well, on the Friday of my 1st week, his boss told him to tell me to pack up and get out. (This was a fundraising job for a national nonprofit). It worked out perfectly for me as I had just received a job offer starting 3 weeks later. I got paid for the balance of my resignation period, so I had a nice paid vacation before starting my new gig.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,436,648 times
I have done this a few times:

1st time was my very first job. I liked the company but wanted to move to another city. My company put me there on a temporary project but I found a full time permanent job there. Since I was remote, I emailed my manager and gave notice. She freaked out and emailed me back asking me to call her to discuss. I called her, she told me that my project was temporary but looked good for at least another year and that the company was starting an office in my new city so she'd like for me to stay. I stayed. She didn't like that I did everything via email though and would have preferred that I call.

The last time I went into my manager's office on our weekly 1:1 and told him. He freaked. I wrote about it here where he got really belligerent and started bullying me into giving him details, where I'm going, etc.

I have heard of many situations where they walk you out immediately if you give notice and make that your last day. Usually you cannot go back to your desk to get your things. If you have a purse or car keys or something like that, a secretary will usually get that for you while you wait outside but there is no time or opportunity to take things off your computer (it should be a work computer so you shouldn't have personal stuff on it anyway) or any paperwork, etc. If you had any personal pictures and things like that, it's boxed up and mailed to you. This happens a lot at companies where you have financial gain such as stock vesting or a bonus coming, etc. You must not give notice until after those events because many companies will walk you out immediately so that they can get out of it.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
RE: walking folk off the premises upon their giving notice of quitting:

as the employer, I appreciate the courtesy of your notice of leaving.

However, I don't need to risk the damage that you can do to the morale and productivity of my business in your last days.

While you may have the best of intentions, I don't know how the interaction with my other employees or business work product will work out.

From my perspective, I'm the one staying there and have to continue the business operations. In the same way that you don't owe me an explanation of why you are leaving, I don't owe you an explanation of my business operations.

It's not personal, it's simply good business. It's professional and courteous on your part to keep it that way, direct and simple, and it's similarly professional and courteous on my part to protect my business.

Others here have posted how you can effectively keep it professional and courteous, it's not difficult to do. I respect your professionalism, please respect mine. I can assure you that this is not the first time nor the last that I will have an employee leave, and it's part of my business to carry on, not your concern. We both have to move forward, let's do it professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment