Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Relocate or Travel?
Travel--- F this economy! Time to go see the world! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 0 0%
Relocate---F this state! I'm leaving now! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 15 83.33%
Just stay where I am and work retail till something opens up. Decisions are hard, man. (0_0) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,309 times

Advertisements

I don't reccomend traveling on 10k unless you plan to work questionable jobs in the places you go..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Miyagi View Post
My how trite of you. First, I've been ready for "adulthood" since graduating and even before then. Had no money to move out then (certainly not the 10K I had now) and definitely wasn't full blown idiot/maverick/desperate/whatever-it-takes to move out with only $300.00 in my pocket. That's brave and a lot of things. But smart isn't one of them at least for people around my age/circumstances/background. There's no reason to pretend that you are desperate when there are people out there who have nothing left and literally rolling into town on their last tank of gas. Stop playing. All my parents asked me to do was be smart about my decisions.

Travel to me is something that I always wanted to do for a lot of reasons, and I'm talking serious travel not weekend warrior 1 weekend or 1-2 week style travel. So, I look at it this way: would it make sense to travel now, get it out of the way, and THEN nose to the grindstone hunker down and find a career OR just wait till later. The only contrarian that really addressed the issue (though not in the way I liked) was @StPaulGal:

Regarding parents...There's no need to ask my parents. I'd know what they say--"stay here and keep applying till you get a job" (been doing that since before my contract ended at my last place) or "move to Chicago/DC and live with so-and-so until you are established" (cue eye twitch).

Best bet and quickest option is for me to move to Los Angeles. There's an apartment and someone I know that I can share expenses with that doesn't involve living with parents or older (read established and retired) relatives. I can do that tomorrow if I wanted to.

I suppose I answered my own question, but I thought it would be great to get a discussion going and see as many sides of the issue/things I hadn't thought about before I go. I suppose that's a weakness of mine.

Is it trite to tell you to travel, see the world, and discover yourself while you are still young? Or are your parents trite to tell you to persevere and keep looking for career-type employment?

The reason why I suggested to ask your parents is because it is them who may have to deal with a 25-yo adult child after they blow through their money traveling with no real plans for what is to happen afterwards.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM

11 posts, read 10,369 times
Thumbs up Thanks figuring out Google Voice now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Quick note... Yes, you can use relative's addresses for applications. But.. do not even mention anything about relocation or anything about not being in the area now. The physical address is one of the least important things on a resume (they're not going to mail you anything.) BUT.. get a "local" google number for your resumes in each area, and go out of your way to avoid mentioning anything about not being there NOW, in your cover letter. Focus on your skills, education, and experience.

Hope that helps. (most recruiters avoid people who are not already in the area, because people have wasted their time, and fled back home or never moved there.) But be prepared to get out there asap if interviews start piling up. I've used the "oh, I'm in xxxxx right now, visiting family, but I'll be back in town in time for the interview."
Thanks for the Google Voice tip! I've never tried it. I thought it costs extra, but it doesn't seem to according to Google.

Alright deleting all mentions of relocating.

Thanks for the responses guys. You're awesome!

Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You need to get clear about what exact kind of job you want, where you want to be, and what kind of pay you want to get. Moving around the country expecting to get it will not help. Once you get clear and write down your ultimate goals and go after them, they will manifest. Life is constantly working at our command and favor. We just have to know how to manipulate it to go in the direction we want it to go.
This. I moved from TN to IN as job market conditions are far better here than back home, but you have to go where you have the most likely chance to succeed.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 PM

822 posts, read 1,285,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Miyagi View Post
Hello World--

I'm trying to make an executive decision before the great snowstorm hits (in Indiana woot ). I'm 25 & 3 years removed from undergrad, failed to get my Master's (I'm through---not going back), and betwixt and between it all have a trail of temporary/internships/contractual employment to show for my efforts in trying to get established (hoping to swing the advertising/pr/media communications job/career field). Somehow I managed to save 10K... Since my last gig ended, I've been unemployed for almost 2 solid months now. I've had a few interviews but no offers and no hope on the horizon. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200 type of variety. However, the loans are still there. I'm sick of Indiana and living with my parents (though I love them dearly--my parents not Indiana if that wasn't clear enough).

Now, I'm trying to make a decision. Should I relocate (in hopes of launching career in the advertising/pr/media communications field or at least having a job at this point) OR travel (short term or long term---doesn't matter)?

Relocation wise I'm looking into the following places seriously: LA & DC (keeping score in my head---LA is winning the pros and cons game so I'll probably be going there)

Travel wise I'm looking into budget/alternative travel (i.e. WWOOFing, hostels, etc.) starting in the U.S. then branching out since the only type of travel that I'm used to is family travel where I stayed in nice places and hotels, etc. Once I'm done traveling (for ever long that goes), I anticipate being right back where I started---Indianapolis, IN with my parents (hey, just like grad school---zing! ) or if desperate, Bloomington, IN (a little worse in that there are FEW good paying jobs there but hey at least I'd be independent, right? ).

So, I turn it over to you, City-Data people. Are you in a similar position? What should be done? What should I do!? If you had the choice, what would you do? Travel or Relocate? More importantly, why?

Discuss.

NOTE: Doing "both" is cheating. Sure, I can spend some, and then relocate but what would be the point? I could just relocate and use the newness of the place (I only visited LA a few times and DC barely) as my "travel" while I apply for jobs, duh.

Another Note: Don't know if this matters in the equation to you (but to me it's given me SOME pause...), but I'm a single [you guess the minority] female anticipating taking the travel thing solo. (Definitely will not fly with my family very well....)

Thanks for posting!

--There's a song that we're singing/Come on get happy!
You have to make sure you have the budget to do the move. Keep in mind you will need a car if you don't have one. In El A you are better off with a car as it could be impossible to get to work without one. You could use public transportation but there is still considerable walking to do and this all takes lots of time.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:12 AM

Post Driving vs Plane ride - Living without a car for a month and a half?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
You have to make sure you have the budget to do the move. Keep in mind you will need a car if you don't have one. In El A you are better off with a car as it could be impossible to get to work without one. You could use public transportation but there is still considerable walking to do and this all takes lots of time.
I do have a car. Problem is that I wanted to leave ASAP before Turkey day: either by plane or car. I'm leaning towards plane. I was hoping to get by till X-mas before driving it down. At X-mas, I would have help to drive it all the way back from IN to LA one way for sure.

My brother is currently getting by without owning a car in LA so I figured that I can do it for a little while if I had to.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 PM

659 posts, read 940,993 times
I would travel if I were you. You hear so many stories of people backpacking across Europe, Asia, or even South America (the safe places!) and coming back with friends, more connections, and even a couple of job offers in a different country. Imagine if you traveled, made some friends, and networked... you might be one of the lucky few to get a job in London, or even Hong Kong or even Brazil.

If I were you, I'd totally travel. There's no guarantee that once you start working, you'll ever find the time to travel asides from the traditional 2 week vacation thing.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
[quote=Capt.Miyagi;36910452]Hello World--

I'm trying to make an executive decision before the great snowstorm hits (in Indiana woot ). I'm 25 & 3 years removed from undergrad, failed to get my Master's (I'm through---not going back), and betwixt and between it all have a trail of temporary/internships/contractual employment to show for my efforts in trying to get established (hoping to swing the advertising/pr/media communications job/career field). Somehow I managed to save 10K... Since my last gig ended, I've been unemployed for almost 2 solid months now. I've had a few interviews but no offers and no hope on the horizon. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200 type of variety. However, the loans are still there. I'm sick of Indiana and living with my parents (though I love them dearly--my parents not Indiana if that wasn't clear enough).

Now, I'm trying to make a decision. Should I relocate (in hopes of launching career in the advertising/pr/media communications field or at least having a job at this point) OR travel (short term or long term---doesn't matter)?

Relocation wise I'm looking into the following places seriously: LA & DC (keeping score in my head---LA is winning the pros and cons game so I'll probably be going there)

Travel wise I'm looking into budget/alternative travel (i.e. WWOOFing, hostels, etc.) starting in the U.S. then branching out since the only type of travel that I'm used to is family travel where I stayed in nice places and hotels, etc. Once I'm done traveling (for ever long that goes), I anticipate being right back where I started---Indianapolis, IN with my parents (hey, just like grad school---zing! ) or if desperate, Bloomington, IN (a little worse in that there are FEW good paying jobs there but hey at least I'd be independent, right? ).

So, I turn it over to you, City-Data people. Are you in a similar position? What should be done? What should I do!? If you had the choice, what would you do? Travel or Relocate? More importantly, why?

Discuss.

NOTE: Doing "both" is cheating. Sure, I can spend some, and then relocate but what would be the point? I could just relocate and use the newness of the place (I only visited LA a few times and DC barely) as my "travel" while I apply for jobs, duh.

Another Note: Don't know if this matters in the equation to you (but to me it's given me SOME pause...), but I'm a single [you guess the minority] female anticipating taking the travel thing solo. (Definitely will not fly with my family very well....)

Thanks for posting!

--There's a song that we're singing/Come on get happy! [/QUOTE]

are you lori patridge?? because if you are- id head west to l.a. you will be a successful lawyer
(l.a. law)

keep the search out for jobs, you will come across one, that will feel right

Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,368 times
If I was in your situation, as I have traveled and relocated, I would definitely choose relocation, and I will explain why.

First, I lived in a crappy state like Indiana, and relocated to a great major city. Prior to that I had traveled for three months. I loved it where I relocated, and it was great. However, I decided to travel some more, and did that, then had to return to the crappy state living with my family. That feeling is terrible. Yes, I may have had a traveling experience, but on the other hand, that is not permanent. So you will be right back in the same situation you are in now, except broke. For me, I would invest the money in my future happiness, which would be moving somewhere nice and getting established, instead of postponing adulthood, which is what I was escaping, but I was also older than you when I did it by a decade.

So, while no one can tell you what to do, you will have to just make a decision. Maybe make a pros and cons list of each situation, and set a date where you must leave.

If you decide to relocate, yes, get a google voice number, and tell employers that you relocated to be close to family or moved with a partner, etc. Spontaneity makes HR nervous. If they see that you just took off for no reason, they will think that it will be much easier for you to quit and move back to where you came from, as you have no ties to the area. I'm generalizing, and maybe that isn't the case, but that's what I would think.

Anyway, good luck on whatever path you choose, and remember, that many people don't have the options you have, and would never be able to do either, so some people may be envious.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the posts everyone!

Thanks for the posts everyone. I decided to relocate to Los Angeles, and I have been working towards making that happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment