Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 01:00 PM

23 posts, read 40,821 times

Advertisements

Had a phone interview a few days ago for a job working as a manager for a shipping office . Its a large warehouse and you receive product and ship orders out. Its 9-5 and no weekends. Job I currently have is a 2nd shift job 2-10pm and weekends and not really what i do but after being unemployed I was not saying no. The phone interview went real well and they want me to come in and talk to them about the job and they mentioned that they need someone soon so they are fast tracking the proccess and only interviewing 2 people. Love what they told me and its definetly like what I used to do but never worked at a job alone all day. you cant leave the office as it needs to be open for delivers all day (9-5) and other reasons . You have to bring your lunch as you cant go out for lunch and essentially you cant be late at all or take a unscheduled day off. (You can take vacation and or a scheduled day off as long as you let them know so they can get someone from a close bye office to cover) . If I get the job offer I will have to debate whether its something I can deal with , being alone all day and not being able to leave or take a unscheduled day off etc but the job is really great and slightly better pay. Curious if anyone had a job like that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Yep. I worked as a delivery driver for 4 years for a wedding rental company. I got every Tuesday and Sunday off. Aside from that, I worked with a helper (unless they called out sick, which was pretty often), only stopping by the warehouse to reload the truck. Calling out was a big deal because there were just enough drivers to go around and helpers couldn't drive the trucks. We brought lunch also because we were typically driving and didn't have time to stop between deliveries. If my helper called out sick, I had to handle deliveries on my own. That made for some long days sometimes (leaving at 5am and getting home at 9-10pm) but I managed.

You get used to it. The pay was decent and I didn't get sick very often so it wasn't a big deal. I took my scheduled vacation every year and didn't really have any issues.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 AM

23 posts, read 40,821 times
Its really the no sick days and you cant come in late and or leave early thats new to me . Never had a job before like that. Not a big concern as at my last job I was there 5 years and called in sick like 2 times and maybe left early a handfull. but things happen. toothache , car dont start or kids school calls. etc. Again just happy to have a job and like this one so hope I get this one but was wondering if anyone had a job where you could not really call in sick or leave early/late etc. they give 15 days vacation and allowed to use all 15 just needs to be scheduled a few weeks in advance so they can get coverage.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:52 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
I would dig into this policy a bit more before accepting the job. It is simply not reasonable for them to effectively ban employees from ever getting sick. The world just doesn't work that way.

I would ask them directly how they have dealt with this in the past. Something like, "I understand that this position is the sole individual responsible for coverage of shipping and receiving, and as such you need someone who will be in place at all times. I am wondering how you have dealt with sudden employee illnesses in the past. I have only used two sick days in the past five years, but no one can honestly vow to never get sick." Make sure to include that last bit about how few days you have used previously so that you don't sound like someone who plans on calling in sick all the time. Also, don't mention anything about toothaches, car problems, or childcare issues. You want to confine the issue to legitimate reasons to miss work at the last minute, which pretty much boils down to "you are too sick to be expected to function normally."

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the not leaving the site for lunch. If you don't have time to pack a lunch or you forget it or something, I'm sure there are delivery options for you.

Best of luck with the new opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment