Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
According to statistics, 91% of companies are business casual these days. However, 9% of them still have a formal dress code (suit and tie).

Currently, I have a potential job opportunity that requires ALL employees to wear "business formal" attire five days a week. Yikes. I NEVER had a job that required that. Always business casual.

According to glassdoor.com, the reviews for the company are generally positive, and people say that the pay, benefits, culture and company are great. But they say that the one con is wearing business formal.

Now, I don't know if they let you take off your blazer while working during the day. God, I would hope so. I need to be comfortable while I'm at work. I'm a small, skinny guy, so wearing a blazer all day would be hell.

Another thing that sucks is that, just last month, I spent $600 on updating my business casual wardrobe (all new shirts, pants). Now, if I took this job, I would have to basically buy all new business formal clothes AGAIN and throw away all the business casual clothes I just bought. Ugh!

Anyway, back to the point. Would you accept a job that requires business formal dress code?
Hell yeah. I love dressing nicely!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sure. Anybody who claims that he isn't comfortable in a suit has never owned a decent suit.
Exactamundo.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
According to statistics, 91% of companies are business casual these days. However, 9% of them still have a formal dress code (suit and tie).

Currently, I have a potential job opportunity that requires ALL employees to wear "business formal" attire five days a week. Yikes. I NEVER had a job that required that. Always business casual.

According to glassdoor.com, the reviews for the company are generally positive, and people say that the pay, benefits, culture and company are great. But they say that the one con is wearing business formal.

Now, I don't know if they let you take off your blazer while working during the day. God, I would hope so. I need to be comfortable while I'm at work. I'm a small, skinny guy, so wearing a blazer all day would be hell.

Another thing that sucks is that, just last month, I spent $600 on updating my business casual wardrobe (all new shirts, pants). Now, if I took this job, I would have to basically buy all new business formal clothes AGAIN and throw away all the business casual clothes I just bought. Ugh!

Anyway, back to the point. Would you accept a job that requires business formal dress code?

Someone that would nit pick over the dress code obviously doesn't need the job. So why not just recline the offer and let someone who would die for an opportunity like this accept it

Old 10-23-2014, 09:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Someone that would nit pick over the dress code obviously doesn't need the job. So why not just recline the offer and let someone who would die for an opportunity like this accept it
I don't need the job at all. I am currently employed and making good money.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
If you hate wearing ties just unbutton the top button of your shirt and loosten up the tie a bit.
Unfortunately, when I do that in the instances where I need to wear a tie, somebody catches it, and calls me out on it. At the very least, I wish that people would stop wearing ties, or for it to at least become acceptable to unbutton the top button. But it seems that nothing less than choking is considered acceptable.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Recline??

Old 10-24-2014, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Unfortunately, when I do that in the instances where I need to wear a tie, somebody catches it, and calls me out on it. At the very least, I wish that people would stop wearing ties, or for it to at least become acceptable to unbutton the top button. But it seems that nothing less than choking is considered acceptable.
If you are choking, you are not wearing the proper shirt size.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times
Quote:
I don't need the job at all. I am currently employed and making good money.
Then why ask the question? -_-

Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
It's what is inside a person that matters. A suit does not make a person a 'professional'. Fact is, I hate that expression, anyway. The insinuation is that a 'professional' is somehow better than a 'nonprofessional'.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
........... I'm the type of person who likes to surf the web for maybe 2 hours a day, ........
Turn down the job. It's an all around bad fit. If they want you to wear a suit, they expect you to act in a professional manner and aren't going to be happy with your playing for 25% of the time that they are paying you to work. The other workers are not going to be happy that you only do 75% of your work while they are working.

If you have a job already where you can wear what you want and are welcome to spend 2 hours a day playing on the computer and that pays well besides, you'd better hold onto that job.

Two hours a day of "me time" is not the norm and it will get you fired at a lot of businesses. You've got a job that allows it and might not find another job that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment