Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,414,161 times

Advertisements

funny how life works. it is what it is.

anyways, you should be happy your bro has a job...they are hard to come by these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,593,374 times
I agree with what people are saying in this thread, but I also sympathize with you. I know many people who have never gone to college, or didn't graduate, or had prison stays or other non-mainstream experiences and they are in much better shape than I am after going to grad school and not finding work. They're making more than I can ever imagine making and they're not really making that much statistically ($17-18 an hour for a lot of them). It's hard not to envy them.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,313,086 times
I also find the OP hard to believe on second reading. I've got guys are working on my basement right now and their breakdown certainly doesn't add up to 38 dollars an hour. And "benefits" ? I have a buddy who is a union welder in SF and he makes about $30/hr.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
The typical STEM grad is making $15/hr?? Where are you pulling that data from? Your own anecdotes?
The science grads particulary Biology anc Chemistry grads are. Also most companies especially the big pharmas don't even hire them directly and make them work via staffing agencies so they get no benefits, raises, career development etc. I've advised the rest of my family and anyone who has asked to avoid science as a result. I understand that despite outsourciing things are still somewhat rossier in computer science, programming, data minining, networking etc. and some areas of engineering.

My brother is a police officer with just an AS from community college. He is a detective and is currently making more than I can ever hope to make (6 figures especially with overtime since they don't want to hire more officers).

Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Anecdotes do not equal norm. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but generally speaking, getting a college degree is a better decision than dropping out of school and getting thrown in jail.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,520 times
Default The Fern & the Bamboo

Read this....(I am in a white collar job & it took many, many years of struggle to get here. And it was totally worth it. Don't go for instant gratification. Be the bamboo, not the fern)
The Fern and the Bamboo
One day I decided to quit...I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality...
I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
“God”, I said. “Can you give me one good reason not to quit?”
His answer surprised me. “Look around”, He said. “Do you see the fern and the bamboo?”
“Yes”, I replied. “When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them.
I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth.
Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed.
But I did not quit on the bamboo. In the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful.
And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.
In year three there was still nothing from the bamboo seed.
But I would not quit. The same in year four.
Then in the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth.
Compared to the fern, it was seemingly small and insignificant.
But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall.
It had spent the five years growing roots.
Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive.
I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle.
“Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots?
I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you.
“Don’t compare yourself to others.” He said. “The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern.
Yet they both make the forest beautiful. Your time will come”, God said to me.
“You will rise high.” “How high should I rise?” I asked.
“How high will the bamboo rise?” He asked in return.
“As high as it can?” I questioned. “Yes.”
He said, “Give me glory by rising as high as you can.”
I left the forest, realizing that God will never give up on me.
And He will never give up on you.
Never regret a day in your life.
Good days give you happiness; bad days give you experiences; both are essential to life.
Serenity isn’t freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

Last edited by theluckygal; 11-03-2014 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,862 times
Life is unfair.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 AM

436 posts, read 565,664 times
The terrible thing about this is that our society needs people like scientists and doctors, but those fields are costly or not lucrative enough to enter into. It's ridiculous and will create more serious issues down the road sooner or later.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,918,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The science grads particulary Biology anc Chemistry grads are. Also most companies especially the big pharmas don't even hire them directly and make them work via staffing agencies so they get no benefits, raises, career development etc. I've advised the rest of my family and anyone who has asked to avoid science as a result. I understand that despite outsourciing things are still somewhat rossier in computer science, programming, data minining, networking etc. and some areas of engineering.

My brother is a police officer with just an AS from community college. He is a detective and is currently making more than I can ever hope to make (6 figures especially with overtime since they don't want to hire more officers).
Yes, I definitely understand that some of the raw sciences make lower wages but they are on the lower end of the overall STEM salary range. You can't cherry pick them as an example of the 'typical' stem graduate salary. My issue was the use of the word 'typical'.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM

696 posts, read 907,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Usually these types of people have good social skills and "street smarts" which can often be just as important as degrees or book knowledge.
^^ aka Emotional Intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment