Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times

Advertisements

Started a new job 3 months ago and I had great reviews so far until today. She told me that I have been working too quickly and should consider the big picture moving forward.

My previous job was very deadline driven and I had to meet weekly/monthly quotas. The new job is more project and program management oriented but there aren't many hard deadlines. Should I just slow down my work to match the pace of my co-workers and learn to relax a bit more?

I am trying to be involved in as many projects as possible to learn as much as I can and I honestly feel I have more than enough bandwidth to work on other projects. Is it better to just focus intensely on my current projects and wait till the last minute to hand them in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:38 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
That may also be a euphemism for "pay attention to quality and compatibility of your work product" as well.

I had a similar issue with one of my operations IT guys. He'd go balls to the wall building something when we were just out of "idea" stage and end up with a product that was slightly buggy (nothing major), however, as he had blown past the rest of the project team, his final product didn't align well with midstream changes that had come along.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
That may also be a euphemism for "pay attention to quality and compatibility of your work product" as well.

I had a similar issue with one of my operations IT guys. He'd go balls to the wall building something when we were just out of "idea" stage and end up with a product that was slightly buggy (nothing major), however, as he had blown past the rest of the project team, his final product didn't align well with midstream changes that had come along.
Ok, that makes sense as this comment came up during a discussion of if I am ok with the workload I have now or if I needed more. I stated I am willing to take on more but I guess taking on more may negatively impact the overall quality of my work.

Overall do you consider this a "major issue" to where it risks my job or more of a "minor issue" that just needed to be addressed to put me on the right track for the company?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Super minor, unless your end product has been problematic.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Super minor, unless your end product has been problematic.
Alright, that gives me a bit more peace of mind. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:55 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Working too fast can be a problem if you do not QA/QC your own work. Easy mistakes do go unnoticed and might not be checked by your boss before going to the client, ultimately making you not look good. Regardless if you work fast, always take the time to double check your work. You should ask her for specifics and take time to keep updates on your progress. This shows them that you care and that you are taking the necessary steps to work towards becoming an overall better employee. Your view point is irrelevant in this case, you are the subordinate so you should play the role and do as you're told, your time will come later that you might be the one managing people yourself.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:12 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
I am a very efficient individual, in all aspects of my life. Any little thing I can do to cut the amount of time something takes (while not affecting quality or anything) I do.

My last job I was a corporate trainer. I had to prepare lesson plans, speaking notes, learning modules, etc. Some classes I taught were as little as 3 days, others would go for 6 weeks, 8-5.

I developed my own system for how to teach these lessons, and I got it down to a science. As such, after awhile I never had to prepare for any of my classes, because I knew the material backwards and forwards, and all my training materials were very modular... I could plan out every day easily.

My coworkers on the other hand, were very disorganized. They were always scrambling to get things done in their allotted time. Then they'd see me, sitting at my desk browsing the web while being fully prepared for my next class. Two of them (world class little snitches) actually would go to my boss and complain that I wasn't working. Thankfully he didn't have much tolerance for their BS so long as I was doing my job.

Over time though, that was the perception that some members of the team had of me... That I was slacking off while everyone else was working so hard. I'm sure my two favorite coworkers didn't help by talking about me behind my back, but still.

Unless you're in a position to work fast and with no one around to complain about how you do your job, then fine. The reality though, is that if you are making other coworkers look bad for how long they take to do a job vs your time, or making them jealous by making it look easier than they can manage... that can hurt you in the long run, being the stand out. Some of us are lucky enough to have bosses that LOVE that. Most of us do not, and you're better served by trying to tailor your work to the level of your team.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Started a new job 3 months ago and I had great reviews so far until today. She told me that I have been working too quickly and should consider the big picture moving forward.

My previous job was very deadline driven and I had to meet weekly/monthly quotas. The new job is more project and program management oriented but there aren't many hard deadlines. Should I just slow down my work to match the pace of my co-workers and learn to relax a bit more?

I am trying to be involved in as many projects as possible to learn as much as I can and I honestly feel I have more than enough bandwidth to work on other projects. Is it better to just focus intensely on my current projects and wait till the last minute to hand them in?

Hi, I am a bored STEM worker. Given the parameters you have provided I would simply let my manager set my dead lines going further. That is simple, when work is given to you, ask for the deadline. Make sure the work is done by the deadline and it's done well.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:46 AM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
I would ask her what exactly you need to do differently. It's not clear if she made that comment because you are making mistakes, because you seem stressed, because you are neglecting to be friendly to coworkers or making other people look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment