Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:20 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Maybe they were good decisions at the time for him.

We don't know the context of him making those decisions, and this unreasonable to criticize him for those decisions in hindsight.

The reason the person shared their story was to simply show the plight of those who are faced with unemployment, not for others to nitpick their life choices...
Actually, the author provided the context

"Each time I chose to leave a company, I only did it if the move would advance my career and salary. "

Obviously, they only paid attention to title and pay - nothing long term. After all, how much long term vision could you possess with an average of 22 months on every job?

Just so you know. Empathy and advice can happen at the same time, without either being tainted. My advice? Learn from the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:30 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Actually, the author provided the context

"Each time I chose to leave a company, I only did it if the move would advance my career and salary. "
Wanting to advance one's career and salary seems reasonable to me (isn't that what many of us in the corporate world want to do?). Sometimes, people will have to change companies to do so.

There was no way for him to know that his decisions would lead to the unemployment he faced, as maybe they wouldn't have.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Wanting to advance one's career and salary seems reasonable to me (isn't that what many of us in the corporate world want to do?). Sometimes, people will have to change companies to do so.

There was no way for him to know that his decisions would lead to the unemployment he faced, as maybe they wouldn't have.
I know you're early career and buy that "job hop to get ahead" theory, however, like anything - moderation is key. There would have been ample opportunity for the author to realize, and I'd wager he was advised, that excess always leads to disaster. Same rules as drinking.

Sometimes, sipping a drink at a party gives you a chance to observe and remain above the fray that degenerates. Likewise, letting the "me first" crowd do their thing in the professional world allows you to advance, albeit slightly behind them. You know who gets cut first? Not the "crony" who was so "loyal". Moderation.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I know you're early career and buy that "job hop to get ahead" theory, however, like anything - moderation is key. There would have been ample opportunity for the author to realize, and I'd wager he was advised, that excess always leads to disaster. Same rules as drinking.

Sometimes, sipping a drink at a party gives you a chance to observe and remain above the fray that degenerates. Likewise, letting the "me first" crowd do their thing in the professional world allows you to advance, albeit slightly behind them. You know who gets cut first? Not the "crony" who was so "loyal". Moderation.
So basically, your criticism of the person who shared their story only boils down to a matter of differing perspective, not anything objective...

That still seems unreasonable to me, but ok.

BTW, if you mind me asking, how old are you?

Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Old enough to see Pearl Jam open for Nirvana... And not have to get a ride there!

Lol. Turned 40 this year.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Old enough to see Pearl Jam open for Nirvana... And not have to get a ride there!

Lol. Turned 40 this year.
I see.

Things was a lot different 20 years ago. Maybe back then, loyalty was rewarded with high starting pay, significant pay increases, generous retirement benefits and relatively cheap health insurance as the economy was stronger and companies were fiscally healthier.

Today, many companies are struggling to stay solvent and the economy isn't doing all that hot. Workers entering the workforce today, as a result, aren't being rewarded nearly as well for being loyal.

The fact of the matter is loyalty is a two-way street. Workers aren't going to give their all to a company that's nickel and diming them...

Old 11-07-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I see.

Things was a lot different 20 years ago. Maybe back then, loyalty was rewarded with high starting pay, significant pay increases, generous retirement benefits and relatively cheap health insurance as the economy was stronger and companies were fiscally healthier.

Today, many companies are struggling to stay solvent and the economy isn't doing all that hot. Workers entering the workforce today, as a result, aren't being rewarded nearly as well for being loyal.

The fact of the matter is loyalty is a two-way street. Workers aren't going to give their all to a company that's nickel and diming them...
Things WERE plenty different 20 years ago, aside from people coming out of high school with the english skills to be able to use proper tenses - let's start with this:

ENTIRE sections of the economy and job markets did not exist. The software programmer was that guy who lived with his grandma in the house down the street that you made your kids walk on the other side from (where exactly did you think that stereotype came from?). Google? Didn't exist. Apple? Uh, they made the weird computers that were all monitor.. A O Who? Oh, the people that mail you disks? 401(k), some offered that... pension? That was military or government work - everybody was "stock option plans" where you bought stock in the company you worked for - if they tanked, you went down.

See, when I graduated HS in 1990 with no direction, the unemployment rate was actually higher than it is today - we were openly discussing whether or not all us able-bodied guys would get drafted in Bush1's war in Iraq... High starting pay didn't exist - starting pay wasn't even there. I managed to get my ass in school and limp through as I paid my own way (did I mention that cheap and easy credit didn't exist for school loans?) busting my ass serving, bartending and eventually giving golf lessons to rich kids and cougars.

From 1994-1995 I was actually homeless and slept in my car most nights, showered in the clubhouse and taught entitled jackwagons how to play a $100/day game, while making $6.35/hr (that's $9/hr today), I would leave there for my $1.85/hr plus tips job bartending two nights a week that paid for school. Many times, I'd close the bar at 3:30 for a 8AM class - just park in front of the building and catch a few Z's.

About 1995-6, I landed a job with the 10th largest company in the US, jumped all the way to $5.35/hr + commission. Busted my hump in this crazy new wireless industry (yes, there was a time before everyone had a cellphone) got creative and was the BEST (still have the award in my office) salesperson in the nation. Most non-business lines activated in Q3/Q4 1997. Earned my own store, turned that into 5 - then the "tech" bubble popped. Boom. Junk hits the fan. Remember those "stock option" plans that were so hot? Yeah - so do I.

Want to know what I had at that point?

1. A work ethic
2. Savings
3. Business acumen
4. Political stock - I was one of the last people to go, but I saw the writing on the wall and had a chance to plan.

Built my own company (totally different industry) and sold that to an F100 in 2007, got a VP job out of the acquisition and do that to this day. I've weathered some storms since then.

Want to know what I see today? Bunch of kids with your attitude, thinking they deserve X dollars because they're in debt and it wasn't their fault - they are a special flower. I also see a bunch of kids that don't think that way. Want to guess who ends up being the harder worker, that rolls with the punches of a tough business environment better, the one that keeps an eye on the horizon?

Keep thinking companies "nickel and dime" you now. It's alway been that way hoss - some just learn how to move forward.

ETA: the US GDP was 2/3 of what it is today, back in 1994.

Last edited by RoadWarrior12; 11-08-2014 at 12:03 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
nice. I actually was also class of 1990 in HS but due to an international move (long story), I ended up graduating high school in 1991.

but hey, i was a software programmer in high school and used that skill to major in computer science in college and then work in the tech industry. i got a decent starting salary out of college and even though we had some downturns in 1999 and 2008, i've never had trouble finding a job. i don't always make more than my last job but it's enough to make a living, get by, save, etc.

even when i had my first job, i saved money. my goal was to save 3 months of an emergency fund, then 6 months, and then 1 year, etc. to this day, i have at least 1 year of an emergency fund in a savings account at the bank. along the way i got married, had kids, etc. my wife is much more risk averse than i am so we actually have over 2 years of an emergency fund in the bank these days.

while i never had any extended period of time without a job, i have had a few short stints here and there. i was never stressed though because i had my emergency fund. my wife did stress though.

recently my wife decided to quit her job and become a full time stay at home mom. no stress at all since we live well within our means. no problem with mortgage payments, car payments, etc...her not working simply means we'll be saving less than we used to but continue to save more than enough for retirement, etc.

the moral of this story? learn to save money and build satisfaction in saving money. nice and flashy cars? yes, that's a weak point for me. i have blown through a bunch of mercedes and bmw 7 series cars because i drive them for 2-3 years and then trade them in for a new shiny model. i still have a nice 7 series hybrid right now but it's going back to the dealership in 2 months and after that, i'm done. i actually gave that car to my wife and i drive a cheap electric car (leaf) now.

if you build a big savings account and retirement account and invest wisely (diversify, read bogleheads, etc.) then stuff like losing a job, etc. doesn't stress you out.

*yes, i fully understand that i am lucky to have been able to afford to save. but even back in the day when i was living paycheck to paycheck i did my best to save $100/month, then $200/mo, etc. set up auto transfer whenever you get paid so you aren't tempted to spend it.

p.s. yes, i did and still have a ton of fun too. i travel a lot (used to travel to europe every year for fun), etc. so you do have to live it up sometimes but be responsible.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
Seven job changes, and out of those only one was a layoff? He left the other six jobs voluntarily? It seems like he really beat the odds there, especially in this job market.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Things WERE plenty different 20 years ago, aside from people coming out of high school with the english skills to be able to use proper tenses - let's start with this:

ENTIRE sections of the economy and job markets did not exist. The software programmer was that guy who lived with his grandma in the house down the street that you made your kids walk on the other side from (where exactly did you think that stereotype came from?). Google? Didn't exist. Apple? Uh, they made the weird computers that were all monitor.. A O Who? Oh, the people that mail you disks? 401(k), some offered that... pension? That was military or government work - everybody was "stock option plans" where you bought stock in the company you worked for - if they tanked, you went down.

See, when I graduated HS in 1990 with no direction, the unemployment rate was actually higher than it is today - we were openly discussing whether or not all us able-bodied guys would get drafted in Bush1's war in Iraq... High starting pay didn't exist - starting pay wasn't even there. I managed to get my ass in school and limp through as I paid my own way (did I mention that cheap and easy credit didn't exist for school loans?) busting my ass serving, bartending and eventually giving golf lessons to rich kids and cougars.

From 1994-1995 I was actually homeless and slept in my car most nights, showered in the clubhouse and taught entitled jackwagons how to play a $100/day game, while making $6.35/hr (that's $9/hr today), I would leave there for my $1.85/hr plus tips job bartending two nights a week that paid for school. Many times, I'd close the bar at 3:30 for a 8AM class - just park in front of the building and catch a few Z's.

About 1995-6, I landed a job with the 10th largest company in the US, jumped all the way to $5.35/hr + commission. Busted my hump in this crazy new wireless industry (yes, there was a time before everyone had a cellphone) got creative and was the BEST (still have the award in my office) salesperson in the nation. Most non-business lines activated in Q3/Q4 1997. Earned my own store, turned that into 5 - then the "tech" bubble popped. Boom. Junk hits the fan. Remember those "stock option" plans that were so hot? Yeah - so do I.

Want to know what I had at that point?

1. A work ethic
2. Savings
3. Business acumen
4. Political stock - I was one of the last people to go, but I saw the writing on the wall and had a chance to plan.

Built my own company (totally different industry) and sold that to an F100 in 2007, got a VP job out of the acquisition and do that to this day. I've weathered some storms since then.

Want to know what I see today? Bunch of kids with your attitude, thinking they deserve X dollars because they're in debt and it wasn't their fault - they are a special flower. I also see a bunch of kids that don't think that way. Want to guess who ends up being the harder worker, that rolls with the punches of a tough business environment better, the one that keeps an eye on the horizon?

Keep thinking companies "nickel and dime" you now. It's alway been that way hoss - some just learn how to move forward.

ETA: the US GDP was 2/3 of what it is today, back in 1994.
It's highly unlikely the current generation will experience what you did in the late 1990s. At the time, we were in the midst of the largest economic expansion in history. It didn't take much effort for anyone to earn a decent living during that time, due to the severe shortage of labor and the credit that was being handed out like candy.

Those days are gone. The generation entering the workforce now (which will be the first generation to do worst than the last) realizes that, as they've never lived through a time where the economy was booming (and likely never will). The only thing they remember is the slaughterhouse the economy became when it collapsed in the late 2000s, and how brutally unforgiving the environment was and has been to millions of innocent people beyond their control who thought they were doing right by being loyal to their employers. Understandably, this factors into their perspective (that loyalty in reality only goes as far as someone's money can afford them) and they base their decisions with this mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment