Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:20 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,701,283 times

Advertisements

I work in an office. My hours are from 8am to 4:30pm.

I get in around 7:55am everyday. By the time 4:30pm comes around I am ready to go. Like, I am so ready to go. Now, I'll never leave early, but I'd like to leave at 4:30pm on the dot.

Yet, I'd be the only one in the entire office doing so. I feel like people will think I'm a slacker or something because I'm leaving on time...ie. at the end of my office hours.

Why do I feel like this? Why don't people leave at 4:30pm? Don't people have lives to get to? Don't people wanna be done with work at a certain time? I spend so many hours of my day here, my life here 5 and 6 days a week. Come 4:30pm I should be done, yet I feel obligated to stay and really do nothing...just show face and "look busy" when in reality I'm not busy...I'm bored...I'm tired, mentally drained, I just wanna leave.

I'm very productive during the day, so my work is always 100% complete by the end of the day, so why do I feel the need to stay?

It's so annoying to me. This is my time now. This is my life, not yours, work!
Am I being a Prima Donna or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
There's nothing wrong with that at all, as long as you get the job done.

Unless your employer plans to pay you overtime, you're not obligated to stay there beyond your regular work schedule.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM

186 posts, read 238,957 times
I also have the same time at my office. I leave exactly at 4:30. There's nothing wrong with that I mean that is your time, you get paid to work from 8 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. It's not like you're doing anything wrong, after 4:30 that's your time to do as you please. I would understand if you need to get something done before tomorrow, but if you complete your work your day is over. Go home no one in my office stays over 4:30 unless needed to.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's nothing wrong with that at all, as long as you get the job done.

Unless your employer plans to pay you overtime, you're not obligated to stay there beyond your regular work schedule.
No overtime.
Just gotta look "dedicated'..... which I am.... between the hours of 8 and 4:30pm.

I dont wanna come off as rigid either, when there are events and special circumstances that require me to stay after hours or work on a weekend, I do it. And I don't mind at all. Because it's a for a purpose. There'a s need for me, I get it. Dont mind doing it. It's this "face time" crap staying til 5, forexample, when I dont have anything to do that drives me crazy. Even leaving at 5 im like one of the firsts to leave and I feel like people make comments.... when I say "bye, have a good night!" some people are all "oh ok?....you too!" or "what time is it?...is it 4:30?" ...im like "no, it's 5"....like HELLO!!!!! lol

Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I leave at 4 on the dot (I don't take lunch).

Today I'm going to leave even earlier because I have to wait for someone in India to do something, and it's the middle of the night there.

So...yeah. Leaving early today.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,556 times
It depends entirely on the office culture, which you are in a much better position to assess than we are. A legal associate, for example, is going to have very different norms to abide by than a call center worker: the former is almost universally expected to put in far more than than his or her 40 hours, whereas the latter must generally sign out at the appointed time on the dot to avoid accruing overtime.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM

211 posts, read 266,822 times
Just leave, never feel bad so long as your work is timely. I myself 95%+ of the time do not work more than 7.5 hours and I still get decent reviews.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:37 PM

It's a small-ish office. And I had a huge project that I recently finished on Nov 1....and I stayed til 6 and 7 pm every night for three months straight..

Now that the project is complete, I have a bit of "me time" i'd like of take advantage of but I still feel like I gotta stay. Which is where my frustration lies.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
It depends entirely on the office culture, which you are in a much better position to assess than we are. A legal associate, for example, is going to have very different norms to abide by than a call center worker: the former is almost universally expected to put in far more than than his or her 40 hours, whereas the latter must generally sign out at the appointed time on the dot to avoid accruing overtime.

This is correct. Will it look bad? Apparently you're asking that question because not everyone at your level leaves at 4:30, which means it could be viewed poorly if you do.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:43 PM

11 posts, read 23,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I work in an office. My hours are from 8am to 4:30pm.

I get in around 7:55am everyday. By the time 4:30pm comes around I am ready to go. Like, I am so ready to go. Now, I'll never leave early, but I'd like to leave at 4:30pm on the dot.

Yet, I'd be the only one in the entire office doing so. I feel like people will think I'm a slacker or something because I'm leaving on time...ie. at the end of my office hours.

Why do I feel like this? Why don't people leave at 4:30pm? Don't people have lives to get to? Don't people wanna be done with work at a certain time? I spend so many hours of my day here, my life here 5 and 6 days a week. Come 4:30pm I should be done, yet I feel obligated to stay and really do nothing...just show face and "look busy" when in reality I'm not busy...I'm bored...I'm tired, mentally drained, I just wanna leave.

I'm very productive during the day, so my work is always 100% complete by the end of the day, so why do I feel the need to stay?

It's so annoying to me. This is my time now. This is my life, not yours, work!
Am I being a Prima Donna or something?
Hey there,

I don't believe that you are being a primadonna at all. My friend used to say, "When work is done, I am done." To create work-life balance, I believe that it is important for people to create boundaries at work. I used to be a workaholic who worked more than necessary, and it let to early career burnout. I set boundaries now because it is to protect my own well-being. I also have a life outside of work and I have to make adequate time in those areas. So don't think that you are not being a "bad employee" by leaving work on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment