Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And more logical than taking advice from people saying there's nothing wrong with getting up and leaving on time every day when the op doesn't report to them, and they know nothing about the company culture and expectations. If the op loses her job, are they going to chip in to support her?
Exactly.

What works for BigDGeek may not work for everyone else, because nobody else is BigDGeek but me. And none of y'all work where I work. I can tell you how I manage my time at work but I personally wouldn't do anything just because some random lady on the internet said it was OK.

When in doubt, I talk to the boss. I even talked to him before scheduling a dental appointment to see if those hours needed to be made up (and how would he prefer I go about doing that).

When it comes to stuff like this, I find it works better for me to ask for permission/clarification NOW rather than forgiveness LATER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Precisely why I questioned whether the OP has brought up the issue with his supervisor. No two companies are alike and it seems that asking one's boss for guidance is the first logical step.
I agree. I'm sure there are people here (here being my office) who wonder what my deal is because I pretty much come and go whenever. But, I made sure my boss was the type of person who cared about the work and results and not face time before I accepted this job. I wouldn't work for a person who valued face time because it isn't my style and I'm an efficient worker.

The OP definitely should just ask his/her boss. I personally didn't directly ask "is it okay if I come in at 9:00 and leave at 4:00?" Instead, I asked about whether there was a face time culture during my interviews and then asked if there's anything different he wants from me in our one on one meetings that we have each month. I asked again my performance review. As long as he's happy, I am happy enough to keep working here.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

156 posts, read 515,610 times
I'm in a similar situation that I've felt quite uncomfortable about since starting my job as well. I'm an entry level EE, and when I was hired I was told all about how the hours are super flexible, come in, put in your 8 hours, that's all that matters. I come in at 7:30 and usually don't take a lunch, and leave at 4 (8.5 hours). Every single day, I feel so uncomfortable leaving since everyone else stays later, even if they came in around the same time as me. I always feel like I'm sneaking out, even though I worked more than 8 hours. I could never leave at 3:30 even though that's my 8.

Nobody has ever approached me about it, and my reviews were overly positive, yet still it's a discomfort. I'm with you.. I'm not going to work more than I'm being paid for (salary).. I value my life too much to spend more than necessary at work. I just can never understand why so many stay so late. Do they all work way more hours than I? Do they take 1-2 hour lunches?

I kind of figure I just keep doing what I'm doing, and as long as my reviews are positive, try not to let it bother me.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,754,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly.

What works for BigDGeek may not work for everyone else, because nobody else is BigDGeek but me. And none of y'all work where I work. I can tell you how I manage my time at work but I personally wouldn't do anything just because some random lady on the internet said it was OK.

When in doubt, I talk to the boss. I even talked to him before scheduling a dental appointment to see if those hours needed to be made up (and how would he prefer I go about doing that).

When it comes to stuff like this, I find it works better for me to ask for permission/clarification NOW rather than forgiveness LATER.
I'm pretty sure the OP has already considered asking their boss.

The likely reason they went out of their way to pose the question on this forum was to get everyone else's opinion on the issue first, from people who can't fire them practically on the whim and aren't signing their paychecks.

There's no telling what type of bag the boss will come out of if approached with the question, as every boss is different...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
I'm in a similar situation that I've felt quite uncomfortable about since starting my job as well. I'm an entry level EE, and when I was hired I was told all about how the hours are super flexible, come in, put in your 8 hours, that's all that matters. I come in at 7:30 and usually don't take a lunch, and leave at 4 (8.5 hours). Every single day, I feel so uncomfortable leaving since everyone else stays later, even if they came in around the same time as me. I always feel like I'm sneaking out, even though I worked more than 8 hours. I could never leave at 3:30 even though that's my 8.

Nobody has ever approached me about it, and my reviews were overly positive, yet still it's a discomfort. I'm with you.. I'm not going to work more than I'm being paid for (salary).. I value my life too much to spend more than necessary at work. I just can never understand why so many stay so late. Do they all work way more hours than I? Do they take 1-2 hour lunches?

I kind of figure I just keep doing what I'm doing, and as long as my reviews are positive, try not to let it bother me.
I must admit, I often feel guilty like this as well. I don't know why because I do everything I was hired to do. I truly don't understand why it takes other people on my team so long to do the same job I do. But, that guilt isn't enough to keep me chained to this desk one second longer than I need to be, so I go home and get on with life anyway.

Like you, as long as the reviews are positive I am going to keep doing what I am doing. Honestly, if my reviews were to become negative over face time only, I'll be looking for another job or a cheaper house.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM

156 posts, read 515,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I must admit, I often feel guilty like this as well. I don't know why because I do everything I was hired to do. I truly don't understand why it takes other people on my team so long to do the same job I do. But, that guilt isn't enough to keep me chained to this desk one second longer than I need to be, so I go home and get on with life anyway.

Like you, as long as the reviews are positive I am going to keep doing what I am doing. Honestly, if my reviews were to become negative over face time only, I'll be looking for another job or a cheaper house.
Same here. I understand some positions require you to put in extra work, and that's just how the culture is here in the US. But I'm sorry, I just value my time too much. Some I'm sure would say I'm lazy, but I'm not going to stay late every night just to look good. Work is work, it's just a means to get by. I'd much rather find a new job if it ever became a problem. Another engineer friend, any time they put over 8 hours monday through thursday, they get to just leave early Friday. So I know there's places out there like that, so it makes me feel a bit better that I'm not a complete outsider just putting in my 8 hours.

Another odd point was when hiring a new EE, when out to lunch with my supervisor, he was telling him about how you should take at least half hour lunch every day, and shouldn't leave before 4. Yet my VP told me to do whatever if I get my 8 hours. First, I don't understand the need to stay til 4, which is where a lot of the discomfort comes from. And also, I'd been working through lunch 3-4 days a week since I've been working here, yet no one has ever said a thing. So I think again it comes back to just doing my own thing and just seeing how it goes.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,841,316 times
Nope. The agreement of your employment is stated hours, correct?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,314,246 times
Dont ever stay late. Its bs and useless. Your employers will just use you and you'll never get a significant raise. I will never stay late again for any employer. Its who you know not how hard you work.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,584 times
Obviously a lot will depend on the office culture, the company etc... but for my part I am an 8-4 and I leave at 4 exact. If the boss wants me to stay extra to do X, I will be more than happy to stay otherwise I am out by 4.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:41 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,097,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I work in an office. My hours are from 8am to 4:30pm.

I get in around 7:55am everyday. By the time 4:30pm comes around I am ready to go. Like, I am so ready to go. Now, I'll never leave early, but I'd like to leave at 4:30pm on the dot.

Yet, I'd be the only one in the entire office doing so. I feel like people will think I'm a slacker or something because I'm leaving on time...ie. at the end of my office hours.

Why do I feel like this? Why don't people leave at 4:30pm? Don't people have lives to get to? Don't people wanna be done with work at a certain time? I spend so many hours of my day here, my life here 5 and 6 days a week. Come 4:30pm I should be done, yet I feel obligated to stay and really do nothing...just show face and "look busy" when in reality I'm not busy...I'm bored...I'm tired, mentally drained, I just wanna leave.

I'm very productive during the day, so my work is always 100% complete by the end of the day, so why do I feel the need to stay?

It's so annoying to me. This is my time now. This is my life, not yours, work!
Am I being a Prima Donna or something?
say goodbye to any promotion you want to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment