Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Fair enough, but if the hours are 8:00 am-4:30 pm and it's not "hourly", then that person should be able to come in at 8:30 and leave at 5, not just give extra face time by being expected to stay late and arrive "on the dot." The problem with many salary schemes is that they are skewed to give the employer extra "time" without paying for it, and often mis-classify people as exempt employees who should be receiving overtime. And ironically, in many cases, leaving late when it's not really warranted by an unusually busy project is nothing more than a silly spectacle of face time. It's really not benefiting the employer since the employee is just physically present but really no more efficient or getting more done. And it likely is costing the employer more in electricity to keep the lights on longer.
As I'm sure you know, there is more to staying employed than just getting your work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,220,638 times
It is good to have a work life balance. Besides why work for free when it can be done tomorrow?

I used to put in hellish hours and knew it. It burnt me out and took a toll. Now I leave when my time is up. It works well!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,067,950 times
There is nothing wrong with leaving at the designated quitting time if being paid on an hourly basis.

Just don't start shutting down your workstation 15 minutes before you're ready to walk out the door.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Is there something holding you back from asking your supervisor?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,529 times
In my office, we start pulling up our time clock system at 3:55. We are all ready to get the heck up out of here at 4:00 on the dot. It's not just you. Don't feel bad!!!!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM

836 posts, read 1,033,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
It depends entirely on the office culture, which you are in a much better position to assess than we are. A legal associate, for example, is going to have very different norms to abide by than a call center worker: the former is almost universally expected to put in far more than than his or her 40 hours, whereas the latter must generally sign out at the appointed time on the dot to avoid accruing overtime.
Exactly. I work in advertising where it's pretty much the norm to stay late most nights. I don't judge anyone for leaving right at 6. Some nights, I leave right at 6 myself. It just depends on the workload. During the middle of the month, all of our 'Digital Marketing Reports' are due to the client so that is a heavy workload time and most people are staying later. Also, I should mention that the age range of those staying late is early-late 20s, single with no children.

I think if more people had a family and wanted more of a proper work/life balance, they would leave right at 6. Plus, I work in NYC so... lol it's pretty much expected to grind until the wheels fall off.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM

836 posts, read 1,033,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I think if you are starting a new job you may want to leave a little later like 4:45pm but after you are on the job for a while it won't matter. To me it's not a good look when you just start a new job because you don't want to give off the vibe you don't like working there
I feel the opposite actually. When you're new, you typically have less work. My boss told me to go home right at 6 when I was new since she knew I had not been assigned any accounts at the time or anything. I was just there for training which had all been completed during the day.

I don't think she would have been impressed by me sitting there until 5:00 for no good reason. Now, when you have more seniority and take on larger accounts and your workload increases obviously it would make sense for you to pull some late nights (but just not every night!)

Old 11-13-2014, 08:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doh View Post
Work smart, not long. If this is your philosophy and your boss does not agree with, then maybe it's time to look for one that does.
That's my philosophy. My boss seems fine with it. I come in when I come in and I leave when I leave. My work is always done. If other people are upset that I come in later than they do and leave earlier, that is their issue and they should bring that up with their boss. That's how I handle things, anyway. Of course, I honestly don't even care if they fire me. If I get fired for doing my job to efficiently, oh well. I have other things to fall back on.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
My boss seems fine with it. ... If other people are upset that I come in later than they do and leave earlier, that is their issue and they should bring that up with their boss.
Precisely why I questioned whether the OP has brought up the issue with his supervisor. No two companies are alike and it seems that asking one's boss for guidance is the first logical step.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Precisely why I questioned whether the OP has brought up the issue with his supervisor. No two companies are alike and it seems that asking one's boss for guidance is the first logical step.
And more logical than taking advice from people saying there's nothing wrong with getting up and leaving on time every day when the op doesn't report to them, and they know nothing about the company culture and expectations. If the op loses her job, are they going to chip in to support her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment