Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,078 times

Advertisements

The OP is a nurse, which makes this thread very scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,424,866 times
No, a warning with a dock in pay...3rd strike ur out...it is just so darn hard
on some nights...the spirit
is willing but the flesh is weak...they don't do it on purpose...
unless they brought a cot!!!

Ok, for hardliners...1 warning 2nd x out the door...a compromise.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:21 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,815,133 times
I just worked a double shift on Friday from 3pm until 730am. I've worked pm's for decades and forcing my body to stay up 4 hours past my usual bed time is torture. I have nodded of, it's inevitable. We are not robots. We have a 30 minute lunch break and what you do with it is your business. A lot of my coworkers sleep on their break. We all cover their patients. I personally can't sleep but closing my eyes for ten or fifteen minutes helps with the burning. Our patients are well looked after and are in no danger when their RN or RT are on break. It's no different then when the nurse accidentally turned off the ventilator Friday afternoon and the pt's RT was on break. I was there in less than a minute and no harm was done. There have been studies done on letting night shift workers nap and they have been favorable.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,836,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Umm not ok to sleep during an unpaid lunch break? I can see not doing that in your bosses office but no reason to not let ppl take a 20 minute power nap over lunch. I do it all the time even though I get 8 hrs of sleep a night.
I can get it in your line of work but this one was much less stressful. He probably wouldn't have got caught in the office.

We also had a issue leading to a termination of an employee that just came out of a halfway house. She couldn't stand up for more then ten minutes!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,648,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The OP is a nurse, which makes this thread very scary.
This is not unusual for nurses, who often have schedules where they may be working a lot of hours in one day. I've heard three different nurses say that at least once in their career they've fallen asleep while driving home.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,184,176 times
I work for a pharmaceutical company and employees are not even allowed to sleep in their own vehicles at lunch and break times. Many of the night shift jobs are very boring (however; responsible) jobs. We do get a shift differential and they expect us to come to work well rested. If you cannot; then your in the wrong industry - there is always somebody to replace you. It sounds cruel and insensitive - but that's life and what is expected of us. We do make products that go into the human body and one mistake could cost us all our jobs.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
Why does it matter if you're working the night shift or day shift? You're being paid to work not to sleep. I wouldn't give people multiple chances who fall asleep at work.

In many jobs that have a night shift, there could numerous dangers with a person falling asleep on the job. Any conductor who falls asleep should be fired immediately! They can kill dozens, hundreds of people and the cost to repair vehicles, tracks, platforms, buildings can be in the millions.

Take some responsibility for yourself! If you can't handle being up all night - many people can't, then find a different job.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,565,702 times
Three strikes and you're out!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am not talking about full on snoring sleeping...i am just talking about nodding.
Like a 5 minute nod.

Yes,we do not tolerate it during the day,but night is different.
You are working against the normal Circadian rhythm.
You're just making up excuses! Be an adult! If you can't handle the job AND staying awake, find something else to do. Nodding is sleeping. People can still DIE because you nodded off. NO EXCUSES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

It should only happen in critical work as far as I'm concerned and NO I don't think that having FedEx and UPS get packages to you overnight with AM delivery qualifies. Cargo planes with just a pilot and co-pilot flying overnights are very common and very dangerous and almost totally unnecessary.
Part of the reason that FedEx and UPS fly overnight is because the skies are VERY crowded during the day. Even if they flew during the day, there still would only be the 2 pilots. It's all cargo so why would there be any other staff?

Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,842,419 times
It depends on what the job is. During the adjustment period from days to nights, it's pretty common, but after that, if night shift is not for you (as day work isn't for me) then it's time to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment