Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

This forum has a diverse posting base, from the chronically unemployed to people who are very successful. What is it that really separates people who are doing well from people who are doing poorly in the job market?

Choice of college major helps, and is probably one of the most significant factors. The location of one's college is also a bigger factor than I think people realize, especially recently, as areas with bad labor markets aren't likely to have many internships or jobs for new grads to have that critical bit of experience. Personal drive and ambition also play a big part - someone that's content making minimum wage will likely not rise much above that. Luck is also a part of it - I know that right place, right time can sometimes be meaningful. Are other social factors, like racism and sexism, major roles in why some people can't seem to get ahead, and why others excel?

What do you think keeps those who are chronically down separate from those who are doing better? It seems that success reinforces success, and failure reinforces failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
A multitude of factors

Personality, looks, experience, region(this is often overlooked. Your job prospects can be determined based solely on the region you live), network, transportation availability, and etc

This is unpopular on CD, but race is also a huge factor. Job searching for unskilled black men is very challenging.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM

265 posts, read 402,355 times
I've never been chronically unemployed, nor would I call myself super-successful or anything like that... but I've done pretty well for myself, in spite of having a seemingly-disjointed career path. I hate to sound like a motivational poster or anything, but for me the trick is being positive. I project optimism around me, and I act accordingly. In other words, I'm not lying to myself... I actually think thoughts that are positive and conducive to my optimism. Don't get me wrong... like all humans, I've fallen before. I've been depressed before. I've wallowed in the mud before. But I get up and keep on keeping on. I've changed my career path several times, for various reasons, but I allowed myself to connect the dots and really see the overall big picture of how my career path was actually taking me somewhere, and I rewrote my resume to reflect this. I network a lot, too. It sounds like a cliche, but honestly, in this day and age, networking is how people become winners.

I'm definitely no poster boy for "successful in the workplace" or anything like that. But I never drowned. I had to tread water for a while, on several occasions, but I did what I had to do and stayed positive. When the economy crashed in the 2000's and I had to change my career path for the second time, I got entrepreneurial and started consulting and independent contracting, in various skills of mine. Then when the economy picked up and I started getting interviews in my next career field, it always came up in the interviews that I was resourceful and positive-minded enough to stay afloat and not have to collect unemployment or anything like that.

I don't make much money, but I'm not poor. I'm actually doing a little better than my modesty will admit to. But I really enjoy what I do, and I actually *like* going to work now! That's successful, in my book.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times
The following may be key factors in finding successful employment:

* 4 year college degree (or at least a 2 year associate's degree)
* Flexible with hours of operation/location (be willing to work a night shift/swing shift) (be willing to drive 35-45 minutes to work)
* Have the right skill set (or take online classes, training, etc to get up to snuff)
* Be willing to take on an entry level position and or a lower salary to get your foot in the door with a great company
* NETWORK (Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know)
* Stay positive and don't give up!!!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I think one of the major contributors to my personal "success" is that I haven't been afraid to make a change when its needed. Most of my friends are still in the same jobs they took after graduation. I'm on my 5th employer. My salary has more than doubled as a result. I also have more time off, shorter work hours, etc.

I think far too many people are afraid to make a change because "what if it is worse?" In my experience, employers are all about the same. Plus, if you work hard for your employer and were a valuable employee, there's a decent chance they would take you back. I've even done that, actually. Too much fear over nothing, IMO.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I think one of the major contributors to my personal "success" is that I haven't been afraid to make a change when its needed. Most of my friends are still in the same jobs they took after graduation. I'm on my 5th employer. My salary has more than doubled as a result. I also have more time off, shorter work hours, etc.

I think far too many people are afraid to make a change because "what if it is worse?" In my experience, employers are all about the same. Plus, if you work hard for your employer and were a valuable employee, there's a decent chance they would take you back. I've even done that, actually. Too much fear over nothing, IMO.
I have been willing to make changes because I saw what was happening to people who were at my prior jobs. Being in call center roles, there's no real escape from that directorate once you're branded with that scarlet letter. A few get off the phones and moved to other roles within the call center/help desk framework, but I can think of very few who moved into the core business or even into "real" IT positions. The only way forward professionally was usually to look outside the company for a job more to your liking then leave the company.

It's hard to make difficult professional changes, as that often involves upsetting other things in one's personal life. You may have to sell a home, go into something you're not prepared for, be frightened, may have to move, etc, but if the status quo doesn't look like things will approve for the foreseeable future, you need to take the risk.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
A multitude of factors

Personality, looks, experience, region(this is often overlooked. Your job prospects can be determined based solely on the region you live), network, transportation availability, and etc
I think motivation has a part to pay in it as well. When I got laid off, some of my co-workers were embarrassed, afraid to let co-workers and family that they were soon to be unemployed. I let everyone I knew, know. I figured you never know who might have a job lead that gets me employed again. Another co-worker was taking off a few weeks before they were going to start looking for a new job. I started my search the next day, I made my full time job, getting another job. Another co-worker turned down a job led I gave him, he thought it was Great, he was taking the summer off to be with his son, ....11 months later he still has lots of time to spend with his son, and no job. My cousin put his first application in for a job... 4 months after he was let go from his last job.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Personality is a big one. One of the major objectives of the interview process is just making sure a qualified candidate is a good fit for a company's culture. Plus, successful people have an uncanny ability to relate to others. I went to school with a lot of people who were whip smart but had serious social deficiencies. That's a tough one to overcome -- especially if you can't see it.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:02 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I think motivation has a part to pay in it as well. When I got laid off, some of my co-workers were embarrassed, afraid to let co-workers and family that they were soon to be unemployed. I let everyone I knew, know. I figured you never know who might have a job lead that gets me employed again. Another co-worker was taking off a few weeks before they were going to start looking for a new job. I started my search the next day, I made my full time job, getting another job. Another co-worker turned down a job led I gave him, he thought it was Great, he was taking the summer off to be with his son, ....11 months later he still has lots of time to spend with his son, and no job. My cousin put his first application in for a job... 4 months after he was let go from his last job.
I don't think it's the lack of motivation. People get discouraged after they've did every instruction in the book to only get empty results.

Job searching is not about ability of any sort. It's more about getting chosen based on variables outside of effort. It's not a sport.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Some of the factors listed above.

But the most consistent separator of winners & losers to me is those who keep the straight path.

The guy who knew he wanted to be a doctor, engineer, or banker from age 15, and he went to school and geared his career towards that.

People in that position tend to have mastered something instead of being mediocre at several things.

Those who bounce around between careers, degrees and job hop typically struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment