Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If you are in an at-will state, the employment can end without cause, reason, or warning.
Exactly. You can quit your job whenever you want. Why would you want it any other way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
But since when is Thanksgiving a major shopping day?? Black Friday, sure, but not the holiday itself.
Consumers have been demanding the deals earlier and earlier every year. It's now bled to starting today.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Exactly. You can quit your job whenever you want. Why would you want it any other way?
I'm kinda on the fence though... have been and observed several situations in which employees were obviously taken advantage even if no legal recourse. I think there should be some sort of protections even minimal.

Given the current job market, some employers have taken advantage of the situation and push employees in unfair ways. Conversely, employees had better conditions when the job market was good. My feeling is why should the conditions under which employees should endure be subject to economics? It shouldn't and thus I feel that there is something lacking in At-will employment common law.

But

I do agree with you,

If force to choose between servitude (which was the origin of this law) with employment protections versus freedom without employment protections, you are right.. I would rather have the freedom to leave.

In my particular situation, that's exactly what I did... it was painful because I felt forced to quit which meant I had to fight for unemployment benefits. In the process burned through savings and almost lost my house (which is why I feel there is something missing in the at-will law).

Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
I seriously doubt that would happen. I'm sure it is all volunteer and they get time and a half,,

Old 11-23-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Because that's obviously the intention of these laws.
Yes. There were times when companies used to keep employees from leaving.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I've worked on holidays. I knew that going in.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
As has been said, "it goes with the territory" and if you work retail it's a given that you're bound to.

Everyone I know who works retail or in the tourist industry where I live works on holidays - including Christmas Day. It's one of the biggest cruise ship days of the year so everything is up and running apart from government offices. Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. - just another working day.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
When I worked in customer service we were absolutely open and quite busy during the holidays. I think many people fail to do proper research into a job before they apply for it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
They can do it legally and I would not want the power to be taken away from a company to fire people who don't want to work the holiday if the store is open. That decision has to remain with the company.

But the whole concept is disgusting. It wouldn't matter which day stores did this, the crowds would show. And it isn't shoppers asking stores to move the time up earlier and earlier - although that's exactly what the retailers would have us believe. It's the corporation thinking they'll have an edge if they open up their doors for the big sales earlier than the other stores, but not being willing to admit that it's about the almighty dollar. So they lie and say, "We're just giving consumers what they're asking for." Soon, we'll see some celebrate the holiday on Wednesday so their family members can get all the deals on Thursday and Friday. It's no longer the holiday that's important, but scoring the best deals.

I don't support it. I don't care if someone was giving away homes and cars for free, I won't ever shop to get a deal on Thanksgiving. I feel sorry for those who do not get to celebrate this important holiday the way it should be celebrated. Just another indication of how we've lost our way.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Many years ago the freight terminal I worked for was slow Thanksgiving week. They posted a signup sheet for employees to request off on Thursday and Friday. I was running commercial trucks with a partner and both of us wanted to be home for the holiday - so we signed up not to work. Our employer asked us to run one trip on Monday to Orlando and back from Pennsylvania and we agreed - since the round trip should have only taken 32 hours. We traveled to Orlando and they did not have any freight to come pack to PA. They sent us to Dallas and there we ended up broken down on Thanksgiving day! at least, for most employees, you get to be home with your family for part of the day.

Most holidays I have worked - like this year (while no longer trucking). I also have spent most of my time working nights. Many companies require us to make a dollar for them. If they don't make money; we are out of business and out of work. For the people that do not like to work nights, weekends, holidays; there are companies that are always traditionally closed. Those are the companies that people should seek out if they do not want to work on days that are important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment