Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,712,782 times

Advertisements

About three year's ago I left my part time job and a per diem job for a full time position. I applied to less then 100 job's and participated in maybe three of four interviews. Fast forward now recently off unemployment, what a relief, and happen after my 1,000 job application. Now it is not the most ideal job but it is a job indeed. Since working there for a month have applied to between 6-8 job's a week, with not much coming to fruition.

Just wondering how the market can change so quickly and will it improve...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,005 times
If you have submitted "1,000 job application[s]," I cannot imagine that you wrote a thoughtful, customized cover letter for every single one. I am not surprised you aren't getting much of a response.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,606,217 times
I guess it just depends on where you live and what kind of job skills you have.

I work in aerospace and was let go on 10/23 and had a better job that included higher pay on 10/27. I wasn't happy where I was at and had been looking for something else for a few weeks... the new job is a blessing.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,632 times
A few reasons and this is assuming you are researching the companies you are applying to, writing targeted resumes and cover letters etc...:

1) What is your degree and or previous experience? Not all degrees and experience are seen as equal as employable

2) More applicants than job openings, especially annoying when companies leave up job postings that have already been filled or cancelled

3) Do you bring previous, substantial experience? Yes you could probably be trained from the ground up, but why bother training person A when I can hire person B who already has experience

4) Location, field of work

5) More applicants than job openings

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM

I was laid off in May shot out applications to anything that was hiring or looked interesting. Probably somewhere in the realm of 600-800 kind of my became tired of customizing cover letter and set up a generic cover letter. From that point applied mostly to job's within my field. I did however, apply to job's that required less then current degree. I am working now decent job but it is a night shift job. I have worked night's in the past was offered the job three week's prior to unemployment being terminated so keep took the job. Pay is the best out of the four offers only a negative four dollar difference an hour then previous job.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,401,390 times
Shotgunning out applications or resumes doesn't work.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM

^^^^Will agree with that but desperate in need of work gives you hope

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I was laid off in May shot out applications to anything that was hiring or looked interesting. Probably somewhere in the realm of 600-800 kind of my became tired of customizing cover letter and set up a generic cover letter. From that point applied mostly to job's within my field. I did however, apply to job's that required less then current degree. I am working now decent job but it is a night shift job. I have worked night's in the past was offered the job three week's prior to unemployment being terminated so keep took the job. Pay is the best out of the four offers only a negative four dollar difference an hour then previous job.
Well if you were shooting out resumes to anything that was open it's a good chance that you were not qualified for a lot of those jobs. To me that type of strategy is more useful for a online dating site not when seeking employment because you want to make sure you are the right fit for the job so you won't be miserable and stuck.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,127,458 times
I was job hunting, last Thanksgiving. Customized the resume and applied at 5 jobs a week. After 3 weeks, I had 9 call backs on 15 resumes. Some of the submissions were to the same company in different departments. If you eliminate submissions to the same company, it was 9 out of 12. That's a 75% response rate.

I used to shotgun my resume to anything and had zero call backs, after 1000 resumes. Then, I started customized my resume for each entry and doing a handful of resumes each week. Most of my resume would stay the same, I would just take out a few lines or add other ones that related to the job description. I got call backs on half of the customized resumes. I went from $12/hr to $50k/yr at the new job.

When I got my butt handed to me on 1000 resumes and a great response rate on 10 resumes, I have never gone back.
I have laid off 3 times and have managed to find higher paying jobs each time by avoiding shotgunning.

It has been an invaluable lesson.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
You have to know somebody to get the job you want nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment