Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times

Advertisements

I worked fast food for two years in high school. Your experience will greatly depend on the managers. I learned plenty about customer relations and conflict resolution in fast food, as astonishing as it might seem. We had supportive managers serious about their work. But I also emptied a lot of grease traps, filtered a lot of vats, unloaded delivery trucks, and stunk fiercely afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 06:27 PM

33 posts, read 32,060 times
This is going to sound a little like advise from Dave Ramsey, but that's where this is coming from. I'd say decide what you really want to do and follow it if you can. I'm 17 as well. I didn't want to ever have to work in fast food. Rather, I love building stuff. So I searched for as long as it took, and I'm now working for a local family construction company.
Full-time? Once I graduate in May.
Permanent? Probably not. I do want to be a cop some day.

But unless you want to work in fast food...there are a lot of alternatives out there.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
fast food is a common and ideal job for teenagers

gets you some money in your pocket and you gain job experience being on your feet for several hours a day, doing menial tasks, dealing with ahole customers, etc

as far as the op, it may not be ideal for you based on what you said about yourself... probably look for something less stessful in a less hectic environment

Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 AM

140 posts, read 191,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Uhhhh, from the way you describe yourself it sounds like college, or at least what most people think of as college, would be a major stretch.

Maybe you should be thinking about this as the first step in your career.
Well if all goes according to the plan, half my tuition will be paid with scholarship money. You really can't make it too far without a degree in something...

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM

33 posts, read 32,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Well if all goes according to the plan, half my tuition will be paid with scholarship money. You really can't make it too far without a degree in something...
On the contrary, to be honest. Unless you wanna be a doctor, or lawyer, or professor, or something like that. Sure college can improve your chances of a better-paying job (slightly), but you'd be surprised how many people drop out of collage, mostly for debt, some for doing something else with their lives, some for just deciding its too hard, etc.

But assuming you go to college, you finish, and you get a degree. Then what? Unless you know now what you're going to do with that degree then, you're probably going to want to think a little longer.

Plus only half your tuition is being paid. Who's paying the rest, you? If thats the case, you really want to rethink this, to make sure your income is going to be more than what you're paying out for education, food, gas, car insurance, whatnot, or you're going to be pretty financially unhealthy by the time you leave college.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:25 PM

183 posts, read 292,534 times
Being a teenager and in a college are some of the best times and things anyone can have. So you are asking about a fast food job in teenage it means you are getting some bucks in your teenage which is another amazing thing. Though I haven't done it but a fast food job is a very nice job to work as part time in your teenage. If you get opportunity do not waste it.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:43 PM

If anyone here has had a fast food job, how long/well were you trained and what was your first day like?

Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-117 View Post
On the contrary, to be honest. Unless you wanna be a doctor, or lawyer, or professor, or something like that. Sure college can improve your chances of a better-paying job (slightly), but you'd be surprised how many people drop out of collage, mostly for debt, some for doing something else with their lives, some for just deciding its too hard, etc.

But assuming you go to college, you finish, and you get a degree. Then what? Unless you know now what you're going to do with that degree then, you're probably going to want to think a little longer.

Plus only half your tuition is being paid. Who's paying the rest, you? If thats the case, you really want to rethink this, to make sure your income is going to be more than what you're paying out for education, food, gas, car insurance, whatnot, or you're going to be pretty financially unhealthy by the time you leave college.
Like I said, I have 8 months free to save up (already have $5K in the bank) plus working during college. Most ways to make a living that don't require risking your life or breaking your back require a degree.

Also I realize I'm no Albert Einstein, but I'm not mentally retarded either..

Old 11-29-2014, 06:58 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
If anyone here has had a fast food job, how long/well were you trained and what was your first day like?
When I worked fast food, I didn't start out at the register, but was in the back cooking fries and burgers for several months. That was fairly easy to learn. If you are going to get a job working a cash register, I would actually recommend a less busy business than fast food where you can learn without being in such a noisy atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment