Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:45 AM

59 posts, read 63,643 times

Advertisements

They want to make sure you will stick around if you get offered a job. We've been through this a lot in the last few years.

You'd think people would realize in this economic climate you sometimes have to move around to get a job or a better one.

People DO leave an area due to weather--hot or cold. As we age, we don't all want to live in the snowy states.

I just think you have to do what you can to get the job and if they ask this, show you are committed to start the job and acclimate to your new area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:50 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't like lying to that extent.
Unless you're moving to a little town where everybody knows everybody will they really find out you don't have family in the area? If it's a big city how would they know. I don't agree with lying generally but this may be something you could get away with.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Well yeah, but I can only suffer living here in Fairfield County for so long. It's been 1 year and 7 months of pure misery.

Besides, the job I got right now, I had only 2% of all 177 jobs I applied to reach the interview state. Persistence is key.
I have a feeling you would be miserable anywhere you go. Maybe you should work on that before you move. Counseling might help.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Okay, but why does there have to be some sort of family or love connection associated with wanting to relocate for a job? The whole thing is ludicrous and has NOTHING to do with job performance.
Perhaps they don't want to be the reason for your move. Cause if it doesn't work out you might have a lot of resentment towards them? Or something. I dunno, only logical connection I can make.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I would say 'I've always wanted to live in X' and counter with a question about whether or not they like <<the most popular restaurant in town>>

Applebees?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:33 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Another reason "lower COL" might be a problem answer is that it could be interpreted that you are having financial problems where you are at. Employees with financial problems are statistically more likely to commit theft of some sort from the company. It's a bit of a reach, but could be a factor for some companies.

"Better opportunities all around, and better quality of life" is better to me than "lower Cost of Living"

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have a feeling you would be miserable anywhere you go. Maybe you should work on that before you move. Counseling might help.
Obviously, I can force myself to be happy where I currently am, but I still have a genuine desire to relocate out of my current area. What's so wrong about that?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Obviously, I can force myself to be happy where I currently am, but I still have a genuine desire to relocate out of my current area. What's so wrong about that?
People need to stand against this corporate HR B.S.. Just tell the truth, it may take longer to get a job but it will be more likely to a better fit for you when you find it.

I will be leaving my job soon to go to a place with a lower cost of living. I will just try to be honest as I can when answering their rediculous questions, but I won't tell falsehoods just to make them happy.

If I can't get hired, I will find a way to be self-employed. I've reached an age where I'm not going to kiss anybody's a** or commit outright sins for financial benefit.

Find friends that you may know that have connections to the companies you are applying at. I can tell you that EVERY job my wife has ever gotten was because her or I knew someone there. You have to know people that know people in Buffalo. Us Buffalo ex-pats are literally everywhere due to the economy being bad there for decades. Find a Buffalonian if you want to move to Buffalo, we are a close knit bunch.

My wife has no banking experience, but got a job at a major interbnational bank because I grew up with one of the executives. That is the way you get jobs today rather than going through the HR minefield. Sad, but your only other option is lying and I find that distasteful as much as you do and won't resort to it.

By the way I will work my a** off for an employer if they have integrity. I've been with the same same employer for 15 years and everything is great! Unfortunately the wage doesn't match the cost of living here and that unfortunately is why I have to leave. It was enough pre-marriage and kids, not enough post that. I have no anger for them though because besides from the low pay, they are fair and loyal to their employees and treat us like humans that actually have a life. Sad to go in a way because of that.

Last edited by Port North; 12-02-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,915 times
Quote:
I don't like lying to that extent.
Well technically it isn't lying. Merriam-Webster's #2 definition of "family" is:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/family
2)
a: a group of persons of common ancestry : clan
b: a people or group of peoples regarded as deriving from a common stock : race

I'm sure if you did some family research you'd have 4th, 5th, or 6th cousins in most cities.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
... the one question that I struggle with is, "why are you looking to relocate here?" ...
"Because you have the career position I am interested in."

That's all. No more. Wait for the next question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment