Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:47 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times

Advertisements

"I have family nearby"

One person's nearby is not the same as another.. therefore, no lying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 02:00 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Also, a person needs to acclimate to a job more than an area itself.

There are a lot of places I'd rather be than Indiana, but living here is much more tolerable because I have a job that I don't mind doing generally (not that I love it, but I don't dread coming in either) and a team I like. If I had a job or coworkers I despised, it would be hard to be happy anywhere.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As some of you may know, I've been applying to numerous jobs in other cities that are far away from where I currently live. My resume is great, but the one question that I struggle with is, "why are you looking to relocate here?" Sometimes I respond with something along the lines of, "I am looking to make a move to a place that will work better for me economically (i.e. cost of living) and settle down for the long term." After I tell them that, they seem to lose interest.

No, I don't have family in the area. This is a personal decision. I mean, it seems like employers REQUIRE you to have family in the area or something, even if I'm a perfect fit for the job. What the heck? What does family have ANYTHING to do with relocating for a job? Many people don't care about being nearby their families, and being near family is not the #1 priority for everyone.

My main reason for wanting to relocate is to move to an area with a lower cost of living. That answer seems to be unacceptable, but I don't know how else to spin it.

I've applied to nearly 50 jobs over the past 4 months and had no luck, other than a few phone interviews here and there (and one real interview). Recruiters keep saying that my resume looks great, and truth be told, none of them said anything about me having a 4th job just 8 years into my career, because "it's very common these days." So what gives?!

So annoying. It seems like my only option is to stay here for 3 more years and save up money and then move COLD TURKEY to a new place, with no job lined up.

I didn't read all the responses so my apologies if I am repeating something another poster already said. I own a business with nearly 50 employees and do all the hiring myself. I can tell you that someone coming from another area is definitely a big red flag for me.

I am from the midwest and relocated to North Carolina 20 years ago to start this business. At first, I really didn't care where people came from and we hired people from all over. Over the years we learned that the people we hired with no roots in our area were more likely to leave - by a wide margin. Whether it's family, they grew up here, or whatever if there are no ties whatsoever then those people can just pack up and leave a lot easier. Even though we live in a state where we have a lot more incoming people than outgoing, there are still a lot of people who come here for a job and realize they don't like it here for whatever reason. Those people tend to last 1-3 years and then they go back to wherever they are from. So for us we tend to avoid people that don't have any ties to the area on their resume. That's just how it goes as sad as that may be....

So if I can offer a suggestion to you it would be this: When they ask why you want to move tell them (whenever possible) how much you like the area, etc. Hopefully you've visited there at some point and talk to them about how you like the downtown there, the outdoor activities possible, you love the lakes, or whatever else that area has to offer. If they think you are moving to that town to make that your final destination, as opposed to just taking a job in who-cares-where, that will help.

That being said, it is still WAY more difficult to find a job remotely than if you were already there. For some that is impossible to move without having a job first so that makes it tough.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I didn't read all the responses so my apologies if I am repeating something another poster already said. I own a business with nearly 50 employees and do all the hiring myself. I can tell you that someone coming from another area is definitely a big red flag for me.

I am from the midwest and relocated to North Carolina 20 years ago to start this business. At first, I really didn't care where people came from and we hired people from all over. Over the years we learned that the people we hired with no roots in our area were more likely to leave - by a wide margin. Whether it's family, they grew up here, or whatever if there are no ties whatsoever then those people can just pack up and leave a lot easier. Even though we live in a state where we have a lot more incoming people than outgoing, there are still a lot of people who come here for a job and realize they don't like it here for whatever reason. Those people tend to last 1-3 years and then they go back to wherever they are from. So for us we tend to avoid people that don't have any ties to the area on their resume. That's just how it goes as sad as that may be....

So if I can offer a suggestion to you it would be this: When they ask why you want to move tell them (whenever possible) how much you like the area, etc. Hopefully you've visited there at some point and talk to them about how you like the downtown there, the outdoor activities possible, you love the lakes, or whatever else that area has to offer. If they think you are moving to that town to make that your final destination, as opposed to just taking a job in who-cares-where, that will help.

That being said, it is still WAY more difficult to find a job remotely than if you were already there. For some that is impossible to move without having a job first so that makes it tough.
Well, I am NOT moving with no job lined up. I don't have mountains of cash to be able to do something like that. So I have to be cautious about it.

Also, I have applied to jobs at certain places that I have never even really been to. Some of them, I've only driven through or stopped by to eat lunch or get gas, but that's about it.

Oh well, I guess I'll be stuck in Connecticut for my entire life then. All 80 years. Gotta love the "freedom" we have in this damn country.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
"You have a job. I want a job. Any other stupid questions I can answer?" Except with a little more diplomacy.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
As some of you may know, I've been applying to numerous jobs in other cities that are far away from where I currently live. My resume is great, but the one question that I struggle with is, "why are you looking to relocate here?" Sometimes I respond with something along the lines of, "I am looking to make a move to a place that will work better for me economically (i.e. cost of living) and settle down for the long term." After I tell them that, they seem to lose interest.

No, I don't have family in the area. This is a personal decision. I mean, it seems like employers REQUIRE you to have family in the area or something, even if I'm a perfect fit for the job. What the heck? What does family have ANYTHING to do with relocating for a job? Many people don't care about being nearby their families, and being near family is not the #1 priority for everyone.

My main reason for wanting to relocate is to move to an area with a lower cost of living. That answer seems to be unacceptable, but I don't know how else to spin it.

I've applied to nearly 50 jobs over the past 4 months and had no luck, other than a few phone interviews here and there (and one real interview). Recruiters keep saying that my resume looks great, and truth be told, none of them said anything about me having a 4th job just 8 years into my career, because "it's very common these days." So what gives?!

So annoying. It seems like my only option is to stay here for 3 more years and save up money and then move COLD TURKEY to a new place, with no job lined up.
I LOVE it! I would memorize it if looking to move for a job!

Last big move I made was from Detroit to Houston, no one asked me why

Old 12-02-2014, 09:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

You may love it, but it didn't work out so well in reality.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

There's the solution. Instead of lying and saying you're moving to an area because you have family there, just say you're moving from Detroit. Nobody will ask why.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:

Oh well, I guess I'll be stuck in Connecticut for my entire life then. All 80 years. Gotta love the "freedom" we have in this damn country.

You don't want it badly enough. If you did, you wouldn't be responding in such an immature manner. It's going to be hard - not impossible - but that's too much for you.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Because there are tons of locals who are looking for a job same position as you in this economy and tough times. A company would rather hire someone where candidates live close than somebody from far away even if they do not offer relocation expenses. Unless you have a specific skills that other local candidates don't have, they won't hire you. They also don't want to risk having you leave if you happen to dislike the place.
they also ALSO don't want to risk you getting an offer for a local job and going with that instead, after taking time and resources to interview you. especially if they don't provide relocation expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment