Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this is happening to me, my wife found out by accident that my employer has not been paying their portion of my health care benefits

She went to a new doctor today they ran our insurance and the insurance company said my employer had not paid their portion to our coverage

First commissions are suspended, now even after I pay my portion, they pocket the premium I paid for insurance and don't pay their share.

I figure I am owed about 7-8k right now.

My employer is based in CA and held by an umbrella corp out of FL who can I file a complaint with, the Labor Board ?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
Dept of Industrial Relations. Start here:

How to file a wage claim

Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 AM

587 posts, read 916,195 times
I have no real knowledge of this matter, but just wanted to say that's horrible. I would start with the labor board in CA and also call FL.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:21 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Get ready for a bumpy ride

First commissions are suspended --> a bad sign
they pocket the premium I paid for insurance and don't pay their share -> a really bad sign

My predictions. You are about to:
a. become unemployed
b. become an unsecured creditor in a bankruptcy
c. experience the "joy" of a bounced paycheck

Suggested actions:
1. Start job hunting immediately.
2. Contact HR with: "I'm confused..."
3. Talk with your manager.
4. Stop all automatic withdrawals from your checking account.
5. Don't spend any paycheck until it has been in your checking account for at least a week.
6. Contact your state dept of revenue to see if you have been credited with the payroll taxes withheld.
7. Contact the IRS to see if you have been credited with the payroll taxes withheld.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
they pocket the premium I paid for insurance and don't pay their share -> a really bad sign

a. become unemployed

Suggested actions:
5. Don't spend any paycheck until it has been in your checking account for at least a week.
6. Contact your state dept of revenue to see if you have been credited with the payroll taxes withheld.
7. Contact the IRS to see if you have been credited with the payroll taxes withheld.
Very solid advice here. Really sounds like this company is having some significant cash flow issues.

Don't bother with FL DOL, they're weak. CA will not play around on the wage claim - get in line early to try and insure your piece of the pie.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

a. become unemployed

Suggested actions:

Great advice here all in one post!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Thanks everyone. I got 2 hours of sleep.

I am going to talk to our president ( we have previous good work history together ) because I heard a rumor that he gave a few employees loans against unpaid commissions, etc. If that's the case then I will give them until the Friday to true me up.

If the above doesn't happen I will file a wage claim with CA Labor Board today.

I can't believe this is happening to me at Christmas.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 12-17-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 11:59 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
I have no real knowledge of this matter, but just wanted to say that's horrible.
I second this. Your question is completely outside my wheelhouse, but it's such a crummy situation that I wanted to offer my condolences. So sorry you have to go through this, and I hope things eventually get settled in your favor!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Update-I contacted HR and while they didn't pay their portion for the month, they paid the provider their portion for that visit.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:27 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
I would also contact your state insurance commission to see if there could be any recourse there.

Sign up for health insurance offered under ACA based on the fact that you lost insurance coverage. Do that immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment