Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job type do you prefer?
Job A 35 72.92%
Job B 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 PM

527 posts, read 710,617 times

Advertisements

What would you pick?

Job A - $65,000 with 5 weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, unlimited sick days, 35-40 hour work week, low/no stress job.

Job B - $90,000 with 2 weeks of paid vacation, 6 paid holidays, 3 sick days, 40-50 hour work week, medium-high stress job and pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,217,046 times
$65k wouldn't cut it in NJ/NY area. So I wouldn't really have much of a choice.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 PM

527 posts, read 710,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
$65k wouldn't cut it in NJ/NY area. So I wouldn't really have much of a choice.
Unless you live in a smaller house or dual income (2 parent's).

Old 12-13-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Unless you live in a smaller house or dual income (2 parent's).
I agree. If I lived with my 2 parents, I could make it on much less. I don't live with my parents, however.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:19 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,631,823 times
Depends on a few things.

Do you have student loan debt? Car Note?

If the answer is yes....

I would go with the $90k job. That extra income will allow you the chance to live on your own (studio) and be able to afford some of the nicer things that NYC has to offer. Will also give you chance to pay off some debt.

If the answer is no....
I would go with the second gig. $65K is not a whole lot in NYC. About $3000 a month take home. With little to no debt you should easily be able to put $1400-$1500 towards studio, put away a few hundred in savings, and have money to enjoy the city.

You want the job that will allow you to have money to enjoy the city, pay off debt, and save each month.
Whichever job will allow you to do all three is the one that I would go with.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Depends on a few things.

Do you have student loan debt? Car Note?

If the answer is yes....

I would go with the $90k job. That extra income will allow you the chance to live on your own (studio) and be able to afford some of the nicer things that NYC has to offer. Will also give you chance to pay off some debt.

If the answer is no....
I would go with the second gig. $65K is not a whole lot in NYC. About $3000 a month take home. With little to no debt you should easily be able to put $1400-$1500 towards studio, put away a few hundred in savings, and have money to enjoy the city.

You want the job that will allow you to have money to enjoy the city, pay off debt, and save each month.
Whichever job will allow you to do all three is the one that I would go with.
Given these offers in the NYC area, my guess is that the OP doesn't have a degree. Thus, no student loan.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:58 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,582,764 times
Job A would be a dream job for me. I've never made close to that kind of money. I'd live on 12K of it for a year and then pay cash for my little retirement cabin in a local rural county.

I value my time and health more than money and I don't need a lot to be happy.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:59 AM

906 posts, read 714,892 times
B because i love the pressure...keep the 25k, even..

Old 12-14-2014, 11:22 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,076,154 times
A lot will depend on your financial needs and the lifestyle that you desire. I would prefer a low stress job, so, all other things being equal, I would prefer Job A. Have you tried to see if Job A could offer you a higher salary? It's unlikely that they would offer you as much as Job B, but they might be able to offer you more if they really want you and know that you have another offer. A less likely scenario would be Job B offering you more vacation time, especially if it's a higher stress job. Failing either of those options, if you prefer the low stress and extra time off that Job A offers, are you able to live on $65,000? If so, ten go with Job A. Otherwise, you may be stuck with Job B. Are you young and single and supporting only yourself? Or are you older and supporting a family?

Also, are you somebody who travels a lot and/or has family that lives far away that would make the extra vacation time that Job A offers to be valuable? And, whichever holidays Job A offers that B does not: are those holidays important to you?

One other factor would be the commute from where you live. Which job has a shorter commute? In my opinion, that is even more important in determining quality of life than the vacation time or holidays would be. Remember, you have to commute to work every day that you are working, whereas vacation days and holidays are a relatively small number of days per year.

Also, what is your overall opinion of the two companies? It sounds to me like Job B is not very employee friendly: they only close for the 6 major holidays per year (sounds like not even the Friday after Thanksgiving, which I'd see as a red flag), they offer a very minimal amount of vacation time, and only 3 sick days per year. My current job gives no sick time at all, but they are generous with vacation time, personal time, and paid holidays, so it's not the end of the world if I have to waste a vacation or personal day when I'm sick, but in your case, with Job B, with very minimal vacation time and holidays, 3 sick days per year sounds very low. I'd be concerned about how they treat employees in general. It does not sound like a company that values work-life balance, if that's what you're into.

Furthermore, is your overall goal to find a work-life balance, or to climb the corporate ladder?

Again, which choice you make really depends on a lot of factors which we don't know about: does the local cost of living and your lifestyle allow you to live on $65,000 per year? Can you negotiate more money from Job A? Are you single or are you supporting a family? Do you travel a lot? Do you have out of town relatives? How old are you? How important are the holidays that only Job A offers? Which job has a shorter commute? Which company do you have a better overall opinion of? Are you looking for work-life balance, or to climb the corporate ladder? How important is the low stress of Job A, independent of other factors? Only you can answer those questions.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,097,977 times
A would be my choice but that's because I am older and I already had decades of job B.

However for other folks it would depend on where you are in life. Are you debt free and is your home paid for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment