Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:26 PM

152 posts, read 627,638 times

Advertisements

My cousin just called me and was breathless about a meeting he had just attended yesterday. Sounded like another pyramid scheme to me but I don't know. Anybody ever sell anything and make any money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,131,089 times
Well, precisio, because i liked your other posts...I will try here.

I have done catering for pyramid type organizations and I was amazed how many people show up. From my tone, you can probably guess, that the pyramid way of selling does not interest me.

But people do it, with relative success. For example, last summer, I was at my sisters house sitting around the pool, and a wife of her husband's friend, talked about some direct selling scheme. I listened, but it went out my other ear. Personally, If I were to go into direct sales, I would buy an inexpensive truck, get it outfitted with a stove and make hoagies in front of a busy disco. That makes sense to me, this other stuff does not!!

just a thought ;-)

Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM

152 posts, read 627,638 times
Gea, I'm trying something new, especially with family members....I'm trying to be non-judgemental. Since I don't know this organization, and apparently whatever it was that my cousin heard had him all fired up, I figured I throw it out there to see if anyone else on this board has heard of it or is involved in it. I'll continue to reserve judgement, but, I can say your idea sounds like the way I'd personally go too!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 13,427 times
Well Precisio--I could probably tell you a little more than what your family member did but not much. I just joined after looking at the company for 5 months. I am a patient educator so it was important to me to find a product that made sense.
I joined MA for that reason alone, I leave the business part of it up to my husband and he is in it for the business end of building web-sites. So it made sense to us.
As with anything; new job, new diet, family, yard project etc...it is what you make of it. Just today we found that we got a $4 ck. We weren't sure what it was for but come to find out it was commission on product that a customer bought from us. Of course we didn't do anything--so just imagine if we had 100 customers buying $200 worth of whatever. This would be a check just because your customers were spending money. Better you than the owner of Home depot right.
People can explain it any way they want but what it really boils down to is You. Do your research and you'll know if it's right for you. At this point all I've invested is $130. The products I was already buying and I love to help educate others about keeping their body healthy.
MA says pick one product and give it a try. You need to believe in something before you can tell the world.
Best of luck to you!
J

Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,009,482 times
Looking at their website I did not see anything regarding becoming an affiliate so I am not real sure how it works. However much of the time these types of businesses either give you a "free" website of your own promoting their products or give you credit for the customers you drive to their website. While this business appears to be very legit and sucessful, your chances of making much money is slim at best. These kinds of businesses take on thousands of affiliates at zero risk. The affiliates have to pay for the hosting and promoting of their "free" website. Most people do not have the knowledge needed to make it work and give up after spending a few hundred dollars while only getting a few bucks back in commissions. You take that one or two customers each of the thousands affiliates generate and the business makes big bucks purely at the affiliates expense.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM

34 posts, read 116,043 times
I was with them for about 2 yrs and I quit because I was not making any money. I went to several conventions and local meetings and studied their business model very hard. I had to order a set amount of products on a monthly basis to maintain membership requirements and I also needed to recruit at least 2-3 ppl or something like that. Personally, I think only the ppl at the top make all the money from ppl that are working under them. It is very similar to multi-level marketing even though they swear it's not. I'm sorry my first post is this negative, but that was just my personal experience.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,537,442 times
Default This is not a pyramid

My wife and I are distributors for Market America. We have made money from retail sales and management bonuses. The MA nutritional products are excellent for many reasons. The exclusive line of products ranges across cosmetics to cleaning supplies to websites and more. They have access to over 3500 online stores and there is a universal shopping cart for the featured partners. If that sounds like a good place to shop, go there!
This is not a pyramid scheme; pyramid schemes are illegal. In those the money comes from the sign up and membership fees from new recruits. Social Security is a pyramid scheme, for example. You need only two people to start making bonus money in MA so that would not be a workable pyramid.
It is also not multilevel. You need only two vertical sales organizations and everybody gets the same credit for their retail sales. There are no levels. Other network marketing companies require lots of recruits to make bonus money.
There are sales requirements because that is what makes it a legitimate retail business.
How can you sell something if you don't use it yourself? Our personal use easily meets our monthly requirement.
If someone says they did not make any money maybe they did not work the business as a retail operation and probably they did not build a sales organization?
If you have been to a few seminars and meetings then you need to go to more until you understand the business plan and the products. There are several in Raleigh and Wilmington, and the corporate headquarters are in Greensboro.
So the question is not, will it work for you, but will you work for yourself!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Default Whatever became of your cousin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisio View Post
My cousin just called me and was breathless about a meeting he had just attended yesterday. Sounded like another pyramid scheme to me but I don't know. Anybody ever sell anything and make any money?
Did he become a distributor? Are you using the products? Everyone needs vitamins and anti-oxidants!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
You can buy all the vitamins and antioxidants you need BOGO during CVS's regular sales for a heck of a lot cheaper than you can get them from any MLM scheme. And bottom line it's all the same exact stuff.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM

That is not an unfair analysis, it is just that there is much more to Market America than you are seeing from a quick look at the web portal. If the idea of a second income from a business you develop over a couple of years makes sense to you, maybe you need to find out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment