Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 12:57 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

Our company has this year went to a CRM program to track sales. It is a pretty popular one that I'm sure most have heard about. The next is to find an app that will allow us to automate our quoting. Since I currently do our quotes manually (very time consuming), I have a very high vested interest in this.

We originally started with four people looking at these apps, but coordinating schedules for the 1-2 hour demos was nearly impossible. Finally, I went to him and said that I will take over looking at the demos and put together a summary presentation for him for his own reference and something he can take to the CEO to make a decision. I told him that since I have particular vested interest, I will get the info to him ASAP and will take charge of the implementation to get out as soon as we can. He said that was fine.

Anyway, I put everything together in a nice power point and sent to him on Friday, like I said I would. In my email I outlined a proposed timeline. My goal is to have something to show at our sales meeting at the end of January and to have final implementation by the end of February. I am going on vacation starting Wednesday and wanted to talk to him and get his questions answered by end of day tomorrow. It's almost the end of the day Monday and I haven't heard anything from him. What's the best course of action? I'm sitting here debating calling him, but I don't want to be a pest. At the same time, I'm tired of this project getting pushed back. So frustrating already. I know he is busy, but we have the whole sales team asking for implementation of this and I'm ready to take charge and all I hear is crickets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:17 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
If the sales meeting is nit until the end of January then why not wait until you get back from vacation to talk to him about it? It's not like you can do much with whatever is decided before you go on vacation on Wed.

He (I assume you mean your supervisor) thinks he has at least a couple of weeks, which he does right?

Judging by the timeline, I think you're being too impatient.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 AM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
I agree, I would just wait until I got back from vacation to pick this up.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
I think the OP is asking how to remind the supervisor to take a look at what she prepared without seeming like a pest. OP has a timeline which must be adhered to in order to implement the system by a certain date. So, here is my advice:
If you have originally sent him email with your presentation as an attachment, forward the email to him again and say "John, since I will be out of the office from Wed till ...., I was hoping that we could go over this presentation before I leave in order to stay on track with the proposed timeline."

Old 12-23-2014, 07:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Our company has this year went to a CRM program to track sales. It is a pretty popular one that I'm sure most have heard about. The next is to find an app that will allow us to automate our quoting. Since I currently do our quotes manually (very time consuming), I have a very high vested interest in this.

We originally started with four people looking at these apps, but coordinating schedules for the 1-2 hour demos was nearly impossible. Finally, I went to him and said that I will take over looking at the demos and put together a summary presentation for him for his own reference and something he can take to the CEO to make a decision. I told him that since I have particular vested interest, I will get the info to him ASAP and will take charge of the implementation to get out as soon as we can. He said that was fine.

Anyway, I put everything together in a nice power point and sent to him on Friday, like I said I would. In my email I outlined a proposed timeline. My goal is to have something to show at our sales meeting at the end of January and to have final implementation by the end of February. I am going on vacation starting Wednesday and wanted to talk to him and get his questions answered by end of day tomorrow. It's almost the end of the day Monday and I haven't heard anything from him. What's the best course of action? I'm sitting here debating calling him, but I don't want to be a pest. At the same time, I'm tired of this project getting pushed back. So frustrating already. I know he is busy, but we have the whole sales team asking for implementation of this and I'm ready to take charge and all I hear is crickets!
Has he given you a budget to work with? If the money isn't there, you are wasting your time.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM

587 posts, read 915,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
I think the OP is asking how to remind the supervisor to take a look at what she prepared without seeming like a pest. OP has a timeline which must be adhered to in order to implement the system by a certain date.
I understand the OP's question (and impatience!). I just think the OP will come off like a pest no matter how she phrases it. The timeline hasn't been accepted by the boss yet. The OP has a vested interest in pushing this project through as quickly as possible, but the supervisor may not be convinced of the urgency.

No one likes to be nagged or rushed and it's that time of year when many things are put off to be dealt with after the holidays.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:43 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Send another note stating that you will be out starting Wednesday until <whenever>. Then it is up to your supervisor to touchbase before you leave or after. It must be understood that your and his priorities may not align. Your job is done, not allow him to work based on his priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment