Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,954 times

Advertisements

So I was sent to an assignment directly without interviewing and things have been going smoothly so far. I've picked up the job quickly and felt like I've been doing a good job, but last week members of my department left to sit in for an interview. Upon inquiring about this, they told me that they were interviewing a girl from a different department for my position. I was upset about this, and I emailed my agency about the situation. The agency called the client, and the client called the agency to tell them that they were really happy with me, and that they wanted me to apply to interview to turn my temp position to perm. The people in my department later confirmed that I would be allowed to interview to keep my position, but I couldn't tell if they were being honest.

Is it normal for temp jobs you were sent to directly to have to later interview to keep your position? I can't help but think that I'm just keeping the seat warm for a more permanent solution, and that neither the agency or the client are being truthful to me, considering that they were being so secretive about everything. The girl interviewing had been wanting to transfer to my position for a while, I've come to find out.

I've been working there for exactly a month, and the client claimed that they don't hire contractors unless they've worked over 500 hours, so I don't know if they're making an exception for me or if I'm being led on here. This whole situation is sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
I think they are leading you around by your nose. If they already started interviews for your position without telling you they really have no intention of hiring you. Plus even if they did they would likely owe the temp agency a huge fee of tens of thousands of dollars which they don't want to pay. If they had a temp to hire clause negotiated with the agency ahead of time they could hire you without the fee after 90-180 days or whatever is specified of you working as a temp, however, you haven't been there long enough for that.

Your position has become more critical and permanent than they thought, they probably aren't going to hire you and pay the expensive fee so expect to get a call your assignment is over as soon as they hire someone externally.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:53 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,857,889 times
They're blowing smoke up your ___.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I hire temps through an agency at times, in fact I have one coming next week for a 6 week assignment. We don't interview hem, just give a few details including the scope of work and they send someone. If they are OK we keep them for the duration of the assignment, if not we call and try someone else.

In order to become permanent, a temp would have to apply for an opening like everyone else, be interviewed, selected, and pass the background/reference check.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Yes, it's standard protocol if you are a TEMP.

You are a temporary worker, by definition a seat-filler. If you were temp-to-hire, then that would be considered like an extended job interview, and you most likely would be first in line for the job.

As a temp, however, you are not usually guaranteed first shot at the job if it becomes available.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, it's standard protocol if you are a TEMP.

You are a temporary worker, by definition a seat-filler. If you were temp-to-hire, then that would be considered like an extended job interview, and you most likely would be first in line for the job.

As a temp, however, you are not usually guaranteed first shot at the job if it becomes available.
Okay, thanks for the replies^^. I am temp to hire, but I know for a fact that it's their policy to only hire temp to perms after working over 500 hours, which I haven't. I don't know if they would make me stay on as a temp with assurance that I will be there permanently or if they want to float me like they have a couple other temps or get rid of me. The lack of transparency makes me want to quit.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteMarauder View Post
Okay, thanks for the replies^^. I am temp to hire, but I know for a fact that it's their policy to only hire temp to perms after working over 500 hours, which I haven't. I don't know if they would make me stay on as a temp with assurance that I will be there permanently or if they want to float me like they have a couple other temps or get rid of me. The lack of transparency makes me want to quit.
Don't quit unless you don't need the money, but definitely keep looking for a new gig.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
The lack of transparency makes me want to quit.
If you think about it, no company has total transparency. While it would be nice for employees, employers aren't required to telegraph every move they make. People get fired every day with no warning whatsoever.

They have a policy, and they have indicated that they are apparently willing to go against the policy. For some reason, you are suspicious.

Quitting out of spite would only hurt YOU.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you think about it, no company has total transparency. While it would be nice for employees, employers aren't required to telegraph every move they make. People get fired every day with no warning whatsoever.

They have a policy, and they have indicated that they are apparently willing to go against the policy. For some reason, you are suspicious.

Quitting out of spite would only hurt YOU.
I know, I'm going to ride it out and see what happens so that I keep a good reputation with the agency in case they want to find me a new assignment after this one ends.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I know, I'm going to ride it out and see what happens so that I keep a good reputation with the agency in case they want to find me a new assignment after this one ends.
Excellent idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment