Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I agree with you about the interview portion. For me, finding a quiet place in NYC to have a phone interview is a complete NIGHTMARE. I obviously don't want to take it from a conference room here in my office because I would be too paranoid that people can hear me. You want to know where my secret location is? My Wells Fargo bank's ATM vestibule haha Not kidding. I go in a few minutes before my interview, pretend like I'm checking my balance (because I do have the WF debit card...) and then I sit down on the brick hard, cold bench, pull out my portfolio and pray that no one loud/ghetto comes in while I'm on my call.

OK- then I make it to the next phase- the face to face. Well, guess what they can only conduct it during business hours 9a-5p (the same hours of my current job) so that means I will be skipping out on work time. I've use dentist, doctor excuses but like you said how many times can you possibly use them? I've lined up a few interviews next week in RVA so I'm hoping between the 2-3 job interviews that I will receive 1 offer. It gets so tiring having to start from scratch again

Although if I had to take my pick between being unemployed and looking vs. employed and looking I think I would choose employed. It's nice to know that I still have a paycheck coming in at the end of the day and I also think interviewers question it too much as to why you left without a backup plan.

The one positive about being unemployed is there are no scheduling Conflicts when setting up interviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:50 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
I have used conference rooms for interviewing for a new job. I would be more concerned about hanging in an atm vestibule with noise than just needing a quite place to work.

For interviews that I needed to dress up, I have pulled onto a side street and changed in the car. Get creative, do what you have to do.

I think when you are interviewing some paranoia sets in that everyone knows what you are doing.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,613,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If your able to take off at the drop of a hat some may say you must not be that critical to the operation of the business you work at. Some jobs and some employees are critical and it needs to be planned in advance them taking a day off. Even in white collar jobs lol
Yeah...it's been very tricky for me and my job is white collar (lol?)

I usually have to travel for interviews, so that compounds it, and it's not easy to find backup for what I do, so I also need to schedule it around project demands. Taking last-minute PTO would not be met with enthusiam; sick day would be more acceptable except I work from home and never call in sick, really.

I'm hoping I don't have to worry about it for quite a while.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:54 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
Quote:
I agree with you about the interview portion. For me, finding a quiet place in NYC to have a phone interview is a complete NIGHTMARE. I obviously don't want to take it from a conference room here in my office because I would be too paranoid that people can hear me.
Funny you mention that. I had one I thought was going to start in my car and the damn groundskeeper decided to spark up a lawnmower! Luckily my supervisor was out and I had it in her office.

It's sort of funny these days because with the demise of phone booths there's not much of a actually semi private way to have a phone call these days.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,613,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Funny you mention that. I had one I thought was going to start in my car and the damn groundskeeper decided to spark up a lawnmower! Luckily my supervisor was out and I had it in her office.

It's sort of funny these days because with the demise of phone booths there's not much of a actually semi private way to have a phone call these days.
I work from home so normally a phone interview is easy - but - the UPS guy came during one, which caused my dog to go ballistic, and I was completely mortified. Fortunately did not want that job as it turned out.

when I worked in an office I had several phone interviews in my car - but in NYC that's probably impossible

Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,832,572 times
Had a skype interview where they set up a bit early and apparently I looked "bright". So I pulled down the window shade which actually pulled down the shade totally off. A bit funny but it goes to show to check first.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have used conference rooms for interviewing for a new job. I would be more concerned about hanging in an atm vestibule with noise than just needing a quite place to work.

For interviews that I needed to dress up, I have pulled onto a side street and changed in the car. Get creative, do what you have to do.

I think when you are interviewing some paranoia sets in that everyone knows what you are doing.
Well my boss made it clear to all of the Account Managers that she can hear conversations through the walls of the main conference room just as an FYI. Luckily, only used the room personally to pay certain bills, order takeout, or talk to my parents, but would be so worried if she heard me interviewing and wouldn't want to risk it. My company is pretty small- 40 employees. Word travels. Fast.

I agree that some of it is paranoia, however, if I have my resume out with notes on it, and my portfolio binder I think one can piece together the puzzle rather quickly lol

Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Dang! In your Supervisor's office? Talk about bold!

But yes, these days it is so challenging to find a quiet place to interview. I tried this small café once (I'm not talking Starbuck's, I'm talking much smaller) and the moment the interview began, so did the blender! The interviewer seemed sooo agitated and needless to say I was not offered a face-to-face interview. If anyone can offer any suggestions on where to go that's quiet let me know! So far, I have had success with Wells Fargo. People always seem to disburse right before the call, and those that come in afterwards are quiet (probably because they can tell I am on the call for an interview). The only thing that worries me is the signs that say "no loitering" - aka no hanging around. That's why I have to set myself up as a customer using the ATM and then, oh let me get my finances straight with this binder aka my portfolio. Oh, look at that I received a call - guess I should sit right here and take it lol

Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,063,729 times
Quote:
Dang! In your Supervisor's office? Talk about bold!

But yes, these days it is so challenging to find a quiet place to interview. I tried this small café once (I'm not talking Starbuck's, I'm talking much smaller) and the moment the interview began, so did the blender! The interviewer seemed sooo agitated and needless to say I was not offered a face-to-face interview. If anyone can offer any suggestions on where to go that's quiet let me know! So far, I have had success with Wells Fargo. People always seem to disburse right before the call, and those that come in afterwards are quiet (probably because they can tell I am on the call for an interview). The only thing that worries me is the signs that say "no loitering" - aka no hanging around. That's why I have to set myself up as a customer using the ATM and then, oh let me get my finances straight with this binder aka my portfolio. Oh, look at that I received a call - guess I should sit right here and take it lol
My job is right across the street from a bar and grill and they have a quiet section for private phone calls. So whenever I am ready to make that move I know where to go

Old 12-31-2014, 05:55 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,061,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Oh yes, the Supergirl moment. I have done this in the past, and in fact, I did it yesterday. Although I kept the same blouse on all day, I did change my pants real quick in the car after the interview. Those were part of my complete interview business suit. It's odd coming into the office several hours late dressed unusually super professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment