Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM

16 posts, read 19,532 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I was just wondering does anybody feel that they did not get hired because of how they look? I have an interview coming up at NYU on Friday and I was wondering whether I should shave my beard or not. It is about half an inch in length and I have to comb it for it to look neat.. lol I know this sounds kind of ridiculous but I actually enjoy the look. In all honesty I think as long as an individual looks presentable and is what the employer is looking for their appearance should not matter as much. Obviously, we have the discrimination laws and what not but I do think their is a possibility with my beard I might get looked at in a negative way. Interested in hearing any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:45 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
i'm sure it has an effect. appearance is not independent of personality.

make a choice then own it . NYU is probably fairly progressive.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal.wall View Post
Good afternoon,

I was just wondering does anybody feel that they did not get hired because of how they look? I have an interview coming up at NYU on Friday and I was wondering whether I should shave my beard or not. It is about half an inch in length and I have to comb it for it to look neat.. lol I know this sounds kind of ridiculous but I actually enjoy the look. In all honesty I think as long as an individual looks presentable and is what the employer is looking for their appearance should not matter as much. Obviously, we have the discrimination laws and what not but I do think their is a possibility with my beard I might get looked at in a negative way. Interested in hearing any thoughts or advice. Thanks!
With all due respect - it matters not what YOU think. Will it dictate the decision? It depends on the person sitting on the other side of the table. Some will be able to overlook it, some won't even notice it, others won't be able to move past it.

I have a buddy who looks like Jason Segel with a beard. No issues getting jobs.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal.wall View Post
Good afternoon,

Have you looked at commercials, magazines, clothing stores and Hollywood? Appearances matter a lot. Don't be naive.

Now, whether a beard will have any impact on a hiring decision is another matter entirely. It might, it might not. They are reasonably fashionable and the hiring manager might be ok with the Williamsburg hipster vibe.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,694,093 times
As hiring is solely dependent on another human being, anything is fair game. Looks, race, gender, height, weight, hair color can all be used to one's advantage/disadvantage imo.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
It depends on how it looks, but just want to point out that if you decide to shave, don't do it the day of, or your skin may look a little raw.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:02 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
Of course, it is taken into consideration along with personality, education, attitude and skills.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
We have 1,900 employees I would estimate that 50-60% of the men have a beard. From early 20s to late 60s. (no jokes about the women please).

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Of course looks matter.

If you have grey hair, wrinkles, bye bye!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
I am sure NYU has plenty of employees who facial hair ranges from neatly trimmed to Rasputin like in appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment