Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else that it's rude and unprofessional to ask someone what they are earning. I would never ask someone, and would never answer if someone asked me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

405 posts, read 573,467 times
It's none of your business. I had a co-worker ask me what I'd be making at my new job and I was upset. I didn't say none of your business but I just made up a random number as I what caught off caught, it was very rude.

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I agree it is none of your business, and frankly very rude. I wouldn't even ask a close friend how much they make.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
It's asking his salary at his new job, not what he currently makes now (I know how much he makes now because all new people start the same)
Bwahhhhhaaaaaaaa..........

"I know how much he makes because all new people start the same".

That is BS. Management wants you to THINK everyone starts out the same, but it generally is not the case. There are always little nuances which creep into people's compensation. For those reasons alone, it is NEVER acceptable to share salary information.

I tell you....you tell three other people who are once removed from the "don't share this with anybody" agreement which you and I have. One of those three gets it wrong...embellishes it if you will...and suddenly everyone hates you because you (supposedly) make ten grand more than anyone else.

Best policy when it comes to salary: Don't ask; don't tell.

Many firms will fire you on the spot if they determine that you have been sharing salary information with other persons inside and outside of the company. At a minimum, it labels you as someone who cannot be trusted with confidential information.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 AM

276 posts, read 330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Most people are having sex, too, but I'm not going to discuss how many times a week I'm having it.

Just because you're an open book without boundaries doesn't mean everyone else should be that way.
Damn you made me laugh out loud in the office that people asked why I was laughing and had to make an excuse!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:16 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
He was right to remind you that it was none of your business. It would have been unethical of him to share his salary with current employer as others might be prompted to leave as well so he did the right thing. All the information people need is available on the internet so they don't need your help to make sure they are being paid enough. That's why we have this forums where he can post for any advice & get the required information from anonymous people who are not personally connected to him.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
OMG I'm so sick of people with a stick up their a$$es about money, and how much they make.

Even if the question was inappropriate or phrased awkwardly, that's no excuse for the person being asked to be rude. Take a higher road and have some tact!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
OMG I'm so sick of people with a stick up their a$$es about money, and how much they make.

Even if the question was inappropriate or phrased awkwardly, that's no excuse for the person being asked to be rude. Take a higher road and have some tact!
He did have tact; he said it was none of his business. Have some tact and don't ask in the first place, mmm?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:40 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

he responded "It's not your business to ask that".

That was the high road

How do you think he should have responded? OP never said he was rude. His coworker refused to answer a very personal question & he was being professional by not sharing this information as others in the company would get the idea of leaving. We have some boundaries & they need to be respected. Go around asking your colleagues their age or how much they weigh. See what response you get. I didn't even tell me parents how much I earn. Every time they ask I tell them its enough for me. They live in a different country & the dollar to their currency conversion is a huge amount back home so I don't want to give them any wrong ideas. I earn & spend in dollars & a lot of people back home don't get that.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:40 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
So a co-worker who is a newly grad and started working at the company I work for since the 5 months gave his 2 weeks notice to our manager apparently today that he will move to the West Coast and start a new job as similar role. When managers left the room to go out for lunch, he told us that he will leave our company to start a new job in the West Coast (he recently came back from a trip from there). Since I am familiar with the West Coast and this co-worker is nice and have had good relationship with him in the office I felt comfortable speaking with him more in details, such as how he found this job, where he will be living, and other questions that he indeed shared with us before even asking.

When I suddenly asked him if he will be making enough money to live comfortable due to higher cost of living, he said yes, I did my research, etc. But when I told him "sorry to ask but will they pay you at least $35 - 40K so you can live comfortable" he responded "It's not your business to ask that". I felt embarrassed and somewhat shocked and offended because where I previously worked and came from many co-workers always shared their salary, and we discuss that a lot with my friends. This is the first time somebody responded back to me that way, especially a person I thought I knew well and is nice, and a newly young grad!

Seriously I am trying to help you out making sure you don't make a mistake.. I wasn't going to tell my manager or anyone about your salary anyway. Big deal... I hope you make $100K I'm happy for him.

I guess sometimes trying helping out people will make you in trouble...
The bolded is the key here. You mentioned the higher COL, he indicated he did his homework. Yet, you pressed on. In essence, your comments became antagonizing when you brought on the personal info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment