Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:20 AM

765 posts, read 987,203 times

Advertisements

In recent times i look back at myself and figure there is more to life than work. My concept of work was always just to do your thing and go home.
come in go home enjoy your weekend and holidays
Of course working hard too while doing your hours.
In fact I would have this mindset for the most part no matter what career and possibly work overtime no more than 45 hours or so.
Yup other things like my dating life or even playin golf on the weekends was more fun always or even looking at the pretty chinese girl at Red Lobster then exchanging numbers. Not to mention working out.
So basically my goal is to make 40k or 50K that personally is all I really need. 60K if im really lucky then just enjoy life as it come and goes.
So what am I looking for a career or a job?
And what about you guys? Do you guys look for a career or JUST A JOB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
It's a shame that more people can't find a job that they really like, that provides them with challenging, meaningful work as well as good pay.

Still, that's fine for someone young just starting out. Later after you marry the girl from Red Lobster and she wants a house and kids, you will eventually be looking for more of a career and trying for $100k or more with good benefits. When you get to be in your 50s again you will be trying to move up and make more to help subsidize your retirement while at the same time paying for the kids to go to college.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM

906 posts, read 712,910 times
personally, i'm not after a job or a career. i'm after valuable experiences, complimenting education and professional certification. the money will always be there...

Old 01-13-2015, 12:38 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,361 times
Nothing wrong with looking for ''just a job''.

If you are happy and content and can cover your expenses then that is what counts, IMO.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
I definitely have career goals/aspirations (which changes as time goes on). And I personally don't believe that life and career are mutually exclusive.

That said - do what you want to do. That's the key.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I definitely have career goals/aspirations (which changes as time goes on). And I personally don't believe that life and career are mutually exclusive.

That said - do what you want to do. That's the key.
Very much agree with that.

A career is engaging. It gives more meaning to your work life. I am more fulfilled with both a full professional and personal life. Your lows will be lower, your highs will be higher, your day to day middle will feel more rewarding.

That’s just me though. Many people can be fine with the OP’s plan too. Nothing wrong with it if it works for them.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Im simply looking for a job. If it lasts for 40 years or however long thats fine by me. I want to go to work, do my job, and go home. Im not going there to become besties with people or invite bosses/coworkers out for drinks or to the house for dinner; Im there to work. Unfortunately, when i tell interviewers this they tell me im not the kind of person theyre looking for. Go figure.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Go cut hair.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:58 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Default You need to be career minded to hold on to a job

If you are not interested in your job & don't do much to keep yourself updated in your field, chances are you will become outdated & your skills will be obsolete. Some of the successful senior managers I have worked with, used to do engineering drawings on paper when they were out of school but learnt software design tools on their own time after everyone started using computers. That was a huge change for the generation that had never used computers & required dedication outside their regular job to go the extra mile. Since they were career-minded, they were able to hold on to their job & even progressed further. This applies to any job. You have to get licenses, learn computers & stay updated in your field.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
In recent times i look back at myself and figure there is more to life than work. My concept of work was always just to do your thing and go home.
come in go home enjoy your weekend and holidays
Of course working hard too while doing your hours.
In fact I would have this mindset for the most part no matter what career and possibly work overtime no more than 45 hours or so.
Yup other things like my dating life or even playin golf on the weekends was more fun always or even looking at the pretty chinese girl at Red Lobster then exchanging numbers. Not to mention working out.
So basically my goal is to make 40k or 50K that personally is all I really need. 60K if im really lucky then just enjoy life as it come and goes.
So what am I looking for a career or a job?
And what about you guys? Do you guys look for a career or JUST A JOB?
You're probably better off either retiring early (by earning as much as you can AND saving as much as possible at the same time) and/or starting your own business. I kinda have your same mindset as well.. I don't mind working hard or long as long as it's on my own terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment