Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

So I've been working at a company for almost a year now and they recently had new positions opened up for internal applicants. My current position is pretty much the lowest position there, but I actually like what I do and I'm really good at it. Lots of my coworkers say I have more potential though and that I should apply for the higher positions.

In terms of pay, I get about an extra $4-5/hr more if I got this new job. It requires more interaction with clients, lots of key dates and formula to memorize, and definitely more stress / responsibility.

My current position isn't too stressful since I don't have to deal with clients, but it requires a lot more physical work and menial tasks. Since I'm such a hard worker, I was actually given the opportunity to take overtime for this position whenever I want so... I actually get paid the same as the higher position with the overtime. In fact, I might get paid more since I'm about to hit my one year mark for another pay raise.

Would it be smarter for me to stick with my current position and avoid all that stress?
Currently right now I'm not really undergoing much financial obligations, but I may be moving within a few years for personal reasons I cannot go into depth about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 05:06 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Only you can answer that question.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM

174 posts, read 217,839 times
If it were me I would apply for the higher job. Even if it is more stressful in the beginning, it usually doesn't take more than a month or so to get used to it. You will gain client relation skills, and make more money in less time. Also, your resume will look better.

Even those who are very passionate about their current role get burnt out eventually, especially when doing OT. I don't think you would regret applying.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It really depends on your long term goals.

Are you going to be happy earning at your current level for the rest of your working life? If so, keep doing what you are doing. If you think that one day you might be interested in earning more, this promotion is the first step in climbing the career ladder.

More money pretty much requires that you take on more stress and responsibility. What is your long range goal?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 PM

I guess that's what concerns me the most because I know that I may be moving within a few years but I'm not 100% for sure. I already know that this is not the kind of career I want on the long term, so that may be the reason why I'm being hesitant. Right now, I'm just saving money for what I really want to do in my future, so a bit of extra pay is not a huge difference to me. But it's just the title itself that would make my resume look much better when I do move and look for another job. However by looking at the workload and pay difference, it's kind of... not worth it.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisiveone View Post
But it's just the title itself that would make my resume look much better when I do move and look for another job. However by looking at the workload and pay difference, it's kind of... not worth it.
The title and associated responsibilities are what will pay off in the long term.

At the moment it may be break even for you in a financial sense, but you need to consider whether the investment in your career is worth it.

In five years, will you be better off for taking this promotion now because you will be able to qualify for better positions?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:53 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
I'd ask how would this promotion figure into and set you up for FUTURE earnings...one or two jobs PAST the promotion -- at this company or another...in this current field or another. IF your young and still climbing the career ladder, you've got to think 2 moves down the chess board. And how might it position you for an opportunity you don't even know that could come your way.

Look at it in terms of 'paying dues' for the higher title which could lead to even more money at the next job.
It can never hurt to have higher titles and more responsibilities on the resume.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The title and associated responsibilities are what will pay off in the long term.

At the moment it may be break even for you in a financial sense, but you need to consider whether the investment in your career is worth it.

In five years, will you be better off for taking this promotion now because you will be able to qualify for better positions?

Technically... it might not (I think) unless I applied for a job specifically focused in that field.
That's because both jobs actually might look the similar in my resume in terms of work experience except one just sounds nicer.

Because I still interact with clients in my current position, but just not as often. That's the downside in my current position, I'm pretty much scattered around doing many different tasks (most of which are menial) whereas this new position focuses only on one specific field. That's why some people leave the lower position and take the higher position just because they don't want that kind of job, but I actually like having lots of things to do to keep me busy so the day goes by much faster (or perhaps I'm just weird like that).

This higher position is not significantly higher like "janitor" to "manager" kind of thing. Think of it as something similar to a "housekeeper" as my current position and the higher position is a "room service server". Both kind of have similar duties but the other one sounds nicer, gets a bit more pay, but can be more of a hassle in terms of dealing with customers. In the long term, neither will actually help me much unless I continue to pursue down the road of hospitality (which I know I don't want to do).

I feel that the answer is looking at me in my face and I'm making this much more difficult than it needs to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment